What position groups are better than our Super Bowl year or 2011 (1 Viewer)

Seems like an unfair comparison- ‘06 vs current roster seems more like for like in terms of team development (except current D obviously has a big head start)

People need to stop taking away from how good the 09 defense was. The whole point of defense is to take the ball away and we were top 5 or even better and we also were great on 3rd down and redzone defensively. I don't care how many yards they gave up, yards are close to meaningless defensively.
The whole point of defense is to stop the other team from scoring- turnovers are obviously part of that but certainly not THE point
There is obviously some skill involved in generating turnovers - ripping and punching the ball, breaking on a route bc you’ve studied tape
But there’s way too much luck involved to bank on turnovers as a core strategy
(knowing where Manning is likely to throw on a route is skill/smarts - being in right place/right time when Favre has a brain fart is luck)

It would be an interesting discussion and maybe help shed some light on the state of the team. I think we are as talented on paper as we have ever been so what is missing, what is causing us to not reach our potential. It’s easy to say it’s Brees because he was better than Winston but it has to be more than that. There are a lot of above average QBs that are winning with less. So maybe we breakdown position groups and coaches and see if there is an interesting conclusion?

We know it’s QB for sure so that’s done and not really up for debate but let’s start with the O line.
Which group of the 3 is more talented on paper then on The field?
Head coach was better back then.

The whole point of defense is to stop the other team from scoring- turnovers are obviously part of that but certainly not THE point
There is obviously some skill involved in generating turnovers - ripping and punching the ball, breaking on a route bc you’ve studied tape
But there’s way too much luck involved to bank on turnovers as a core strategy
(knowing where Manning is likely to throw on a route is skill/smarts - being in right place/right time when Favre has a brain fart is luck)
Vilma changed the play to zone which put Tracy where he was to get that interception on Favre.

He was scrambling- different formation might have been part of the reason he scrambled but it was his gunslinger mentality that made him make that dumb *** throw
I understand what you are saying but the fact is Vilma put our guys into a zone and gambled that he wouldn't run for it. It was a calculated risk but we took advantage of the situation so I wouldn't call it luck, or at least it wasn't 100 percent luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom