What position should the Saints prioritize next? (1 Viewer)

In the end it all comes down to value and who is available when we are selecting. I know I'd like us to prioritise a DT or DE but not at the expense of missing value.

So if when we pick 29th there might be a chance to take a good all rounder at DT or an elite OG - take the better player and then come back to DT when there is a good space eater who might not do much in the inside rushing role but would be an impact player vrs the run. You might find a guy like this as late as rd 5. (Would depend on resigning Onyemata of course).

I figure that the Saints will be looking at DT/DE/OL in round one and will take BPA.
We have options - for instance it might pay to take a gamble on someone like Andrew Vorhees in the third if he drops because of the ACL - he will probably be able to contribute towards the back end of the season and has the talent to be a long-term starter at Guard. He will be available just as Andrus Peat goes on IR.

At WR we have speed in Olave and Shaheed, so we might be better suited taking a tall possession receiver with great hands and a good catching radius. In the modern NFL where speed is everything in that position you might get a useful player in the 3rd or 4th rounds. It's supposed to be a deep draft for receivers so you might even bag a decent contributor in the late rounds.

There is always value to be had at RB. I'm incredibly high on Tyjae Spears and looking at his draft projection he could go anywhere from rd 2 to rd 6. I'd be more than happy to use a 4th rder if he is still available - great value pick! RB is a deep class in 2023 so there could be good players available even in the middle rounds.

Because we lack depth and have quite a few needs this year we could conceivably get some great value picks in 2023.

Last edited:
Don't be shocked if this is it. DA likes the physical
wouldn't be surprised at all nothing works if the lines aren't right. we have decent depth at LB and DB and the O skill positions are in pretty good shape if MT13 returns with the exception of RB.

RB's are a dime a dozen and a productive back can be had in the backend of the draft or UDFA. I think the Saints will sign 1-3 OL/ DL before the draft, maybe our own maybe someone else. If they do this then they can go BPA in the draft and this is where they always strive to be going into it.

Larrys Snowballs, Gretna Dairy Dip, Berdou's , El Toro's , Di Martinos, La Fiesta, Viskos you can only pick one

RB's are a dime a dozen and a productive back can be had in the backend of the draft or UDFA.
We haven't had a productive UDFAs back since Chris Ivory and Thomas.

That's over ten years ago. Quality RB aren't dime a dozen anymore.

I agree. As college offenses have evolved, the wide receiver talent pool gets bigger and bigger, while the running back pool shrinks.

It also doesn't help that blue chip athletes know that they can have more prosperous careers at literally every other position.

Carr with a top 5 defense can definitely win the south. Can definitely compete to win the nfc. The AFC will all beat each other up and I think an NFC underdog could definitely win in this scenario.

Yes... thats what i said. 3 pretty good ones leaves just 2 oks.. and we arnt going anywhere with at least an OK at LT. Its a dire need if we want to win.. i know its 2023 and not sexy to say it, but you still need lines to win anything. Im not sold at all on Penning, who may be ready in a year or two if he can play... we need a LT now and depth. Especially now that we have a vertical passing game again with shaeed, olave. Would be cool to be able to run the ball again to... we need linenem all day. Both sides. The rest are fine for now.
Agree that O line is a need, specifically to replace Peat. I anticipate Penning will emerge as a force at LT by mid-season. A dominant Penning will open up the run game.

Tyler Algier, Ty Chandler, JaMychal Hasty, Gus Edwards, JD McKissic , D'Ernest Johnson, Elijah Holyfield, Isiah Pacheco, Keontay Ingram, Myles Gaskin,

Just because we haven't been going to the well doesn't mean its dry these guys all came out in the last 6 years Round 5 or later in the draft or UDFA,

There not AK41 but there are a few Pierre Thomas' in there

Don't want to wait until the 5th Boat loads of guys in round 4

Funk it…….get another weapon at WR and RB. I want the unstoppable offense!!!
I wish we were in a position to go all out on building the offense. Surround Carr with RBs, TEs, and WRs. Have speed and playmaking ability all over the field. That would be awesome because despite how bad the offense was last year they really aren't that far off. Outdated or not the offense can still light it up with enough talent and execution.

Loomis usually addresses the most glaring needs in free agency filling holes with low priced vets. They don't like being in a position where they're forced to draft strictly for need. Maybe they address the defense in FA and use the draft for offense.

Vital: DT and contested catch WR (or TE).

I’d put it in a category all of its own. Above a must. DT hasn’t been the same since Rankins left. We need that guy that can eat blocks in the run game, but penetrate and get pressure in the pass game.

And not having a pass catcher with sticky hands goes a long way in placing the blame when it comes to our third down and red one struggles. I’m hoping MT stays, but even so I think we need to target a backup plan.

Musts: RB, TE

Even if Kamara somehow avoids a suspension, it’s time to get younger. His best years were when he was the changeup, not the fastball. I’d even consider drafting a young player and also signing a FA. Particularly one that is good at pass protection.

If we can’t find that superstars TE, we still need a TE2.

Needs: OL / DE

Wants: DB

I see lots of people listing CB as a need, but I kind of disagree. I think both safety positions a bigger needs. Mathieu picked it up by the end of the year, but he’s still aging. I wasn’t very impressed with Maye, but year 2 could prove me wrong. I’d still like to grab a young safety and start developing them to take over either role.

I really hope we sign a solid starting DT. Our picks are too late to bet on a late first round DT contributing this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom