what positions should we NOT select during the draft? (1 Viewer)

rsonza

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
We should NOT select:

DE
OL
FB

But areas of need:

CB
DT
LB
RB
S
TE
QB

We should NOT select:

DE
OL
FB

But areas of need:

CB
DT
LB
RB
S
TE
QB

If you don't believe we're strong enough to pass at QB (in the draft), then I don't know what would satisfy you. :shrug: Drew is "the man," and Brunell is a capable backup should the unthinkable ("God forbid") happen. :covri:

I think it's a stretch to expect the Saints to take a QB any higher than a UFA (undrafted free agent). :nono:

Also, the only strong anchors on the OL are J. Brown and J. Evans (...with Goodwin as an honorable mention). I don't think that our OL is good at opening holes or moving the pile. They are pretty effective in maintaining a pocket, but we could use some help in dominating the line of scrimmage (for the running game).

JMHO.

:gosaints:

Everything is on the table including QB

QB could be addressed for a long-term Brees backup
OT is a need as Brown was not healthy and Stinchcomb is not the answer; depth is there but an opportunity to grab OT talent can not be overlooked
Interior O-line is a need as Goodwin is a journeyman and Nesbit is not the answer
TE is a need as Johnson was not healthy and Miller is not the answer
FB is a concern as there is no depth behind Karney and he has limitations
HB is a concern with Deuce's health and noone else is a powerback
WR is a concern as Colston was not healthy and Meachem is a ?
DE is solid but Grant was not healthy and Smith is in a contract year; injury to Grant puts us back at square one with a 260 pound strong side DE
S is a need as Harper is on a repaired knee and Bullocks is not the answer; KK is a good backup but a playmaker is needed
DT is a need as Thomas is overweight and Young was not healthy, both are old
LB is a need as the infirmary of LBs may or may not play
CB is a need as Jason David remains on this team
K can be upgraded as Gramatica doesn't have a great leg for touchbacks
P can be upgraded

Bottom line we can always get better and almost any position could use either an infusion of talent, youth or both

Last edited:
Do NOT select: QB, WR, FB, DE, OG, LT, RT, SS, MLB, SLB

REQUIRED selections: DT, CB, OLB

"I wouldn't mind" selections: FS, TE, RB. OC

(Watch five of our 6 picks of the picks go to selections in my "DO NOT" select list:covri:)

Qb, Fb, Ot, Og, P, Ls.

We have so many needs (whether to start or for depth) nothing is off the table. Even in the 1st thers only a few positions that are out of the question (qb,wr,rb,TE is pretty much all I can think of and TE is a need later on. ) On D I wouldnt be shocked by any position in the first, including DE.

I got to disagree with saying OL should not be selected in the draft. We are very thin at OL. I think we should pickup another Tackle or Guard in the draft.

Need: DT, CB, OLB, TE

Wouldn't be disappointed with: OG, OC, OT, DE, FS, SS, MLB, RB, WR,

DO NOT WANT: QB, FB, K, P, LS.

The only position I don't care about picking is QB, FB, and kickers/snappers.

Everything else should be on the board. DE, DT, TE, OT, OG, FS, SS, LB, RB, WR...we can use players at any of those positions.

A good draft is always a combination of selecting the BPA in each round and filling needs. So, if we've got, say, a TE and a WR rated fairly equally on our board when coming up to pick in a given round, we should pick the TE. But, if there's a high value WR left on the board and a TE that might not quite justify the pick at that spot, then we should go with the WR. Last year, we went too far in the direction of picking the supposed BPsA and did not adquately fill our defensive needs. On the other hand, good teams don't reach for needs in the draft but build for the future as well as the present.

Personally the only positions we do not need players at are starting QB (though a young backup would be nice) and fullback. I also wouldn't mind spending a mid-late round pick on a kicker as Grammatica isn't the long term answer and is VERY unproven at this point.

Best player available except for QB, WR, DE...everything else is fair game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom