What Rock Concert Moment Would You Liked To Have Experienced? (1 Viewer)

And ZERO cell phones.
If you're referring to their epic, landmark "greatest hits" set at Live Aid in 1985 in Wembley, sure but if you're not, thats okay, too. I do know that Queen's last major American/European tour occured in 1986 and IIRC, they never performed live again, mostly focusing on solo projects and 2-3 more studio albums in the late 80's-early 90's before Freddie became rock's first major AIDS casualty in 1991.

Interestingly enough, since you live in Canada, Queen had arguably one of their best concerts ever, to some older, diehard fans when they played Montreal's Olympic Stadium in 1980. It was such a great concert it was released over 25 years later on a 2 CD live album/DVD box set called Queen Rocks Montreal.

Not technically a concert but music is the inciting incident
The premiere of Rite of Spring at the Paris Opera Ballet
A symphony and accompanying choreography causing a riot among the ‘cultured elite’
That must have been an incredible experience
Do you happen to own Deep Purple's 1969 ambitious one-off concert with the Royal London Philharmonic Orchestra that was recorded and released as Deep Purple Concerto for Group and Orchestra and was later taped and shown in its entirety on BBC British TV networks?

A major, relatively successful rock band still retaining some underground credentials mixing in heavy, driving rock music and melodies with a classical arrangement piped in three major musical movements. You didnt see that sort of experimentation in 1969 and that was when Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, King Crimson and even mainstream rock bands and artists were experimenting with some radical musical ideas and themes, also.

To commemorate the Apollo 11 lunar moon landing in July 1969, BBC actually commissioned Pink Floyd to do a live, instrumental in-studio jam version of "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" but renamed it, "Moonhead" while hundreds of millions were watching the live historical moment in front of their TV sets worldwide.

That festival also introduced the world to Jimi Hendrix. I would have loved to been there as well and seeing him set his guitar on fire
Oh, Hendrix did a few shall we see R-rated, sexually suggestive things with his guitar while facing his amplifiers when the Experience started their ending, live free jam freak out near the end of the set and IIRC, I think D.B. Pennebaker actually filmed the incident itself before Hendrix set his guitar on fire and did kind of a mock Voodoo Child sacrifice on-stage before picking it up and slamming it into a million pieces.

What's sad and very frustrating to me when I see Otis Redding's set at Monterey is that he would be dead within maybe 4-5 months due to a tragic plain crash and he never got to further solidify his enormous musical and creative impact on not just soul or R&B, but mainstream rock music. Redding had a more entrenched, solid connection to emerging rock counterculture and rock fans that I believe was larger, and potentially wouldve been more influential then contemporaries Marvin Gaye or James Brown. If Redding had lived, he's the sort of artist I could imagine playing at Woodstock or large, massive outdoor stadiums that one never really saw with Marvin Gaye or other Motown artists/performers.

Last edited:
Whatchu know about The Warehouse* ? I thought you were a Yankee interloper from up North ?

*The actual name was A Warehouse (on Tchoupitoulas)
Well, the Doors last concert was at the Warehouse in December 1970 where a drunk and inebriated Jim Morrison was so out of it and disinterested in not even trying to sing and perform with the rest of the band that he sat down in the middle of the stage and started slamming the Mic, repeatedly into the stage that it eventually collapsed. Doors drummer John Densmore got so P'Oed and angry at Morrison's behavior and unprofessionalism that he left his drum rostrum, threw down his drumsticks and yelled profanities at everyone still left on-stage, leaving the rest of the Doors to play on without him.

I've heard some vague rumors over the years, periodically pop up, that a bootlegged, live recording of the Doors set at the Warehouse exists but the owner of the tape wants a small fortune for it and allegedly has it stored in some ultra-top secret storage facility.

Well, the Doors last concert was at the Warehouse in December 1970 where a drunk and inebriated Jim Morrison was so out of it and disinterested in not even trying to sing and perform with the rest of the band that he sat down in the middle of the stage and started slamming the Mic, repeatedly into the stage that it eventually collapsed. Doors drummer John Densmore got so P'Oed and angry at Morrison's behavior and unprofessionalism that he left his drum rostrum, threw down his drumsticks and yelled profanities at everyone still left on-stage, leaving the rest of the Doors to play on without him.

I've heard some vague rumors over the years, periodically pop up, that a bootlegged, live recording of the Doors set at the Warehouse exists but the owner of the tape wants a small fortune for it and allegedly has it stored in some ultra-top secret storage facility.
I had a similar experience with Hank Williams Jr. He was so drunk his band gave up and walked off stage. He kept mumbling why he was called Bocephus. It didn't take long for the audience to follow the bands lead.

I gave him a 2nd chance. The next time I saw him he swung off the top of the amplifier wearing nothing but a pair of Tarzan trunks. His band then started playing La Grange by ZZ Top. Williams was the worst and one of the best concerts I ever attended

I think to the OP’s question I would have to say Woodstock, it would have been miserable at times but it was an important time in history and the music was just starting to break through for a lot of those bands….
I've told this story before, but will repeat it here. I'm jealous of my brother in law. He's 81 years old now and still around. He's a retired geophysicist from NASA. He was part of the dept that mapped the ocean floors for the Apollo 11 moon landing. He's originally from Bethel NY. His father and Max Yagur were close friends. He took a vacation after the mission and visited his parents. He walked 10 miles and saw the entire Woodstock concert in person.

I’ve been there a few times as well. My SIL really wanted to see Matthew Sweet there, so we went and it was forgettable….I also saw a Led Zep tribute band there, I can’t remember the name but they were decent….talk about a sleazy venue….unequalled in the Baltimore-Washington area….

I think to the OP’s question I would have to say Woodstock, it would have been miserable at times but it was an important time in history and the music was just starting to break through for a lot of those bands….
It was knocked down to make way for Ravens Stadium. Hammerjacks was a dump of the highest order.

I had a similar experience with Hank Williams Jr. He was so drunk his band gave up and walked off stage. He kept mumbling why he was called Bocephus. It didn't take long for the audience to follow the bands lead.

I gave him a 2nd chance. The next time I saw him he swung off the top of the amplifier wearing nothing but a pair of Tarzan trunks. His band then started playing La Grange by ZZ Top. Williams was the worst and one of the best concerts I ever attended
My dad used to talk about seeing Prof Longhair at Tips
Said he stumbled on stage, plopped on piano seat, mumbled, threw up
Stumbled offstage
Came back in about 5 minutes fresh as a daisy and knocked out an incredible show

Whatchu know about The Warehouse* ? I thought you were a Yankee interloper from up North ?
I am so, yes, mos def geographically challenged to have pulled this off. But also chronologically challenged.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom