What Roman Harper not restructuring tells us (1 Viewer)

saints5021

Have Faith In Breesus
Reaction score
The fact that Roman has not been approached or has not restructured tells us that this will be his last year with us. We can't cut him due to the cap penalty and any restructure would push some of his hit to next year. It seems Loomis is just going to eat it on him this year and cut our losses next year.

Or, they want him on the team and they are going to wait until next year to restructure his contract. Or, they want him on the team and they will restructure his contract later this year if they need the cap space.

Or, they want him on the team and they are going to wait until next year to restructure his contract. Or, they want him on the team and they will restructure his contract later this year if they need the cap space.

This.

Or they're waiting to see how things play out in the draft and camp before they decide whether they want him on the team or not.

So basically, Roman not restructuring tells us that we've either made a decision about him or not made a decision about him, but if it's the former it doesn't tell us what the decision.

ESPN: Every Scenario Possible Now.

The fact that Roman has not been approached or has not restructured tells us that this will be his last year with us. We can't cut him due to the cap penalty and any restructure would push some of his hit to next year. It seems Loomis is just going to eat it on him this year and cut our losses next year.

Yeah you generally restructure players that you plan on completing their whole contract.

We didn't restructure Greer/Harper and a few others that we could have restructured. So either THIS is their last year or they won't make it into the upcoming season.

Harper the longer we wait and the more SS's that come off the market the more i suspect hes in the plans definitely this year..so as many of us have speculated we will probably grab a SS late in the draft and develop him for a year via ST or whatever and then take a look@the picture again.

See the thing is..we know and the team knows hes getting more than what hes worth compared to what other safeties signed for...but thats a risk we took with the deal we gave him.

So he could justify his value this year by playing well and returning to pro-bowl form. Which could then make him a restructure candidate nxt year.

It means 1 or 2 things. Maybe they havent asked him to take a pay cut. Maybe they think he is doin a great job and deserves all his money he is due. Im sure if they asked him it would have been in the media somewhere. I think we fans want him to restructure not the organization.

Or the team thinks he's worth the money. What is the going rate for SS's? He's not ranked lower than 15, I am sure.

Or the team thinks he's worth the money. What is the going rate for SS's? He's not ranked lower than 15, I am sure.

Harper is being paid like a top 5 Safety even two years after his contract, and not just a SS.

It could also mean that he'll be a June 1st casualty. I don't expect that to be the case, but it is certainly a possibility for someone with a high cap hit.

I was never clear what the final word was on his dead money vs cap hit. I know at one point the discussion was that he had over $7M in dead money, but later saw an article talking about restructuring him saving us a decent chunk of change. Did we the people of SR ever come to a firm conclusion on his numbers?

No it doesn't.

It tells us we'll be able to make a decision on him next year based solely on his production/ability, not contract.

But if he has a good year this year there is no reason we can't or won't extend him next. If we were convinced he would be worthless, we'd just cut him now and eat the full salary this year. Obviously we feel theres at least a chance of him being a productive, useful player.

I do agree that next year he will either be cut or extended. It's unlikely he plays out on just the last year of his deal.

restructure is not the same as a paycut. loomis already commented on how/why restructuring is not necessarily a good idea all the time.

He's 6th in base salary according to spotrac

He'd be more like 8th when you consider that Landry and Goldson just signed contracts and were handed $6-7M signing bonuses on top of their salaries.

Also, his overall contract 4 years and 25M is pretty reasonable for that position. It's not his fault Loomis structured a ton of salary in the back end.

He'd be more like 8th when you consider that Landry and Goldson just signed contracts and were handed $6-7M signing bonuses on top of their salaries.

Also, his overall contract 4 years and 25M is pretty reasonable for that position. It's not his fault Loomis structured a ton of salary in the back end.
I was just answering your question? :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom