What Saints-related unpopular opinion is a hill you're willing to die on? (8 Viewers)

Brees cost us a ring by stepping in front of Brady coming here. You could argue that he was the cause of losing to both the Vikings in the Miracle game and the Rams game, as well.

Will 100% die on the first one, though. With the talent this team had, and Brady obviously playing on some kind of PED (along with being the golden boy), there's no way we don't win a SB that season.
Am I the only one who would kind of rather stuck with Brees like we did than get a drive-by victory-lap SB with Tom Brady? 2009 felt like a SAINTS Superbowl. Built with a team post-Katrina, with a staff that called the city home. A SB with Brady would have just felt like "Oh, Tom stopped by and dropped this off." Yeah, I know it takes more than just a QB to win a SB, but Tom would have been nothing more than a hired mercenary passing through.

Jared Cooks fumble ain't the reason why we lost to the bucs in the playoffs

Full on agree, Brees should not have been playing in that game, he was obviously injured and couldn't make the throws needed.....Both JW or TH would have given us a better chance to win that game IMO....

Joe Horn remains the best Saints WR in team history (by a mile).

I love Colston, MT, & Eric Martin. But they were all strictly possession receivers. Darn good ones. But limited to the short-mid range passing game.

Hollywood could run every route. He routinely beat guys deep. Was fearless over the middle. His route-running was textbook. And he caught everything thrown to him.

I wish he & Brees had more overlap in their Saints’ careers. His stats would be ridiculous.

Joe Horn averaged 14.5 yards a catch, Colston 13.8.....Colston was better for longer.....Colston had more catches, yards and TD's despite playing 10 seasons to Horn's 12......

They were different WR's for sure but I'm taking Colston over Horn every time....Colston made the tough catches look easy.....no way Horn holds up over the middle for years like Colston did....

Full on agree, Brees should not have been playing in that game, he was obviously injured and couldn't make the throws needed.....Both JW or TH would have given us a better chance to win that game IMO....
I think you're 50% right there ;)

Am I the only one who would kind of rather stuck with Brees like we did than get a drive-by victory-lap SB with Tom Brady? 2009 felt like a SAINTS Superbowl. Built with a team post-Katrina, with a staff that called the city home. A SB with Brady would have just felt like "Oh, Tom stopped by and dropped this off." Yeah, I know it takes more than just a QB to win a SB, but Tom would have been nothing more than a hired mercenary passing through.
You're not the only one Perret.....I'm right there with you. In fact, that's the first thing I thought when the other fella suggested that Brees cost us a SB by depriving Brady of the opportunity to step into Brees' ready-made team. In my mind, that SB wouldn't have been "earned", but "bought". And IF Brady had won a SB with the Saints, imagine the shadow cast on Brees' legacy....Brees would've been the reason we didn't win MORE SBs in the CSP/Brees era. In fact, he's the reason we have the ONE that we earned. JMO....and maybe unpopular, but that IS the title of the thread!

At some point, the fact that we haven't drafted a QB in a round earlier than 3 after 1971 -- even if we did draft BPA every single pick... This fact alone shines a light on, and is a big part of the reason why, even after we were an elite team for the better part of 15 years, we are still an afterthought. It also explains why we could never get over a certain threshold (until we got a QB who was worthy of a round 1 selection even though he wasn't taken until second.

To be Factually Correct, the Saints drafted QB Dave Wilson with the 1st pick in round 1 of the 1981 supplemental draft. This is often omitted in discussion of the Saints draft history with QBs, but it can't be refuted. The NFL supplemental draft is/was/has been a real thing since 1977. It was last held in 2023 but neither of the two eligible players were selected/drafted. The last player to be drafted in the NFL supplemental draft was Jalen Thompson by the Arizona Cardinals in 2019. No player was drafted in 2020, 2021, 2022, or 2023. The NFL canceled the supplemental draft for 2024.

Excerpts from a June 27th, 2024, article by Bob Rose of Saints News Network as viewed at si.com

NFL Informs Teams The Supplemental Draft Has Been Canceled Again This Season​

The NFL has informed teams that this year's supplemental draft is canceled. Here is a brief history of the event.

As first revealed by NFL reporter Albert Breer, the NFL has informed it's 32 teams that the league will be canceling their 2024 Supplemental Draft. This is the fourth time in the last five years that the league has elected not to hold the event.

Last offseason was the only time that the NFL has held their supplemental draft since 2019.

The Supplemental Draft was originally put in place by the NFL in 1977. It was used for collegiate players to enter the league that were not eligible for the regular draft for various reasons.

If an NFL team used a draft choice in the supplemental draft, they would forfeit the corresponding choice in the round that they selected that player in the following year's standard draft.

The New Orleans Saints have used the traditional supplemental draft just once in their franchise history.

In 1981, the Saints used a first-round pick on QB Dave Wilson out of Illinois.

Full Article In Link Below:

Excerpts from a July 1, 2021, article by Bob Rose of Saints News Network as viewed at si.com

NFL reporter Tom Pelissero confirmed on Tuesday that the NFL would not hold a supplemental draft this season. It is the second straight year that the league has canceled the event.

Normally held in July prior to the start of NFL training camps, the supplemental draft was used for players who were not eligible for the league's standard draft.

If a team selected a player in the supplemental draft, they would forfeit their pick in the following year's draft corresponding to the round that the supplemental selection was chosen.
While the supplemental draft has not been used often by the New Orleans Saints in their franchise history, they have had some success with the event.

Here is a list of players that the Saints have selected in the NFL Supplemental Draft.

1981 - DAVE WILSON, QUARTERBACK​

Wilson was a highly regarded quarterback out of the University of Illinois. He had good size (6’3 and 206-Lbs.) and the strong arm to hit all the throws in college.

The Saints selected Wilson with the first overall selection in the 1981 Supplemental Draft. He was one of only two players picked in the event that year.

Wilson was never able to capitalize on the promise that made him a first-round choice. He played seven seasons in New Orleans but started only 31 games and compiled a 12-19 record. His best season was in 1986, when he was 6-7 as a starter and threw for 2,353 yards with 10 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

Excerpts from the Saints Official website - www.neworleanssaints.com

Saints draft pick history at quarterback through the years​

Check out photos of all 24 quarterbacks the Saints have picked in the NFL Draft over the franchise's 57-year history.​

1720450160366.png

The New Orleans Saints have selected 24 Quarterbacks over the franchises 57-year history. The Saints selected quarterback Dave Wilson out of Illinois in the first round with the first selection of the 1981 supplemental draft.
Associated Press

Full Article In The Link Below:

Attachments

• 1720450161809.png
    1720450161809.png
    878 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thought experiment. Jackson, Swilling, Mills, Johnson, Vilma, and Davis are all on the roster. We're running a 3-4. Who are the four starting LBs?

To be Factually Correct, the Saints drafted QB Dave Wilson with the 1st pick in round 1 of the 1981 supplemental draft. This is often omitted in discussion of the Saints draft history with QBs.

Excerpts from a June 27th, 2024, article by Bob Rose of Saints News Network as viewed at si.com

NFL Informs Teams The Supplemental Draft Has Been Canceled Again This Season​

The NFL has informed teams that this year's supplemental draft is canceled. Here is a brief history of the event.

As first revealed by NFL reporter Albert Breer, the NFL has informed it's 32 teams that the league will be canceling their 2024 Supplemental Draft. This is the fourth time in the last five years that the league has elected not to hold the event.

Last offseason was the only time that the NFL has held their supplemental draft since 2019.

The Supplemental Draft was originally put in place by the NFL in 1977. It was used for collegiate players to enter the league that were not eligible for the regular draft for various reasons.

If an NFL team used a draft choice in the supplemental draft, they would forfeit the corresponding choice in the round that they selected that player in the following year's standard draft.

The New Orleans Saints have used the traditional supplemental draft just once in their franchise history.

In 1981, the Saints used a first-round pick on QB Dave Wilson out of Illinois.

Excerpts from a July 1, 2021, article by Bob Rose of Saints News Network as viewed at si.com

NFL reporter Tom Pelissero confirmed on Tuesday that the NFL would not hold a supplemental draft this season. It is the second straight year that the league has canceled the event.

Normally held in July prior to the start of NFL training camps, the supplemental draft was used for players who were not eligible for the league's standard draft.

If a team selected a player in the supplemental draft, they would forfeit their pick in the following year's draft corresponding to the round that the supplemental selection was chosen.
While the supplemental draft has not been used often by the New Orleans Saints in their franchise history, they have had some success with the event.

Here is a list of players that the Saints have selected in the NFL Supplemental Draft.

1981 - DAVE WILSON, QUARTERBACK​

Wilson was a highly regarded quarterback out of the University of Illinois. He had good size (6’3 and 206-Lbs.) and the strong arm to hit all the throws in college.

The Saints selected Wilson with the first overall selection in the 1981 Supplemental Draft. He was one of only two players picked in the event that year.

Wilson was never able to capitalize on the promise that made him a first-round choice. He played seven seasons in New Orleans but started only 31 games and compiled a 12-19 record. His best season was in 1986, when he was 6-7 as a starter and threw for 2,353 yards with 10 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

Excerpts from the Saints Official website - www.neworleanssaints.com

Saints draft pick history at quarterback through the years​

Check out photos of all 24 quarterbacks the Saints have picked in the NFL Draft over the franchise's 57-year history.​

1720450160366.png

The New Orleans Saints have selected 24 Quarterbacks over the franchises 57-year history. The Saints selected quarterback Dave Wilson out of Illinois in the first round with the first selection of the 1981 supplemental draft.
Associated Press

Full Article In The Link Below:

Dave Wilson was the original Tavaris Cadet.

He was the guy who just kept being kept around despite a below average body of work.

Wilson was the back up to Manning, Stabler, Todd and Hebert. No matter who the Saints pulled in to be the starter at QB that season, at some point you knew that Dave Wilson was going to be holding the reins and completing half his passes and throwing more INTs than TDs.

I used to like to watch old Saints games on YouTube and I’d be like, “cool! I’ll get to watch Archie in a broadcast game … at QB - Dave Wilson.”

“Ok, it’s 1983 - I’ll see the Snake … at QB - Dave Wilson.”

“Ok, it’s 1984 - I’ll get to be reminded how bad Richard Todd was … at QB - Dave Wilson.”

“Ok, it’s 1986 - this was when Bobby Hebert was coming into his own as Saints QB … at QB - Dave Wilson.”

YouTube has a bunch of Dave Wilson games - is what I’m getting at. 😆😆😆

Joe Horn averaged 14.5 yards a catch, Colston 13.8.....Colston was better for longer.....Colston had more catches, yards and TD's despite playing 10 seasons to Horn's 12......

They were different WR's for sure but I'm taking Colston over Horn every time....Colston made the tough catches look easy.....no way Horn holds up over the middle for years like Colston did....
I understand all of the arguments. But it goes both ways. Regarding all of the stats, it must be taken into account the QB who was throwing to them and the offense they played in.

No way Colston produces like that during the Haslett era. And no way Colston could get deep like Horn. The only thing Colston had over Horn was size. And yet, Horn still won his fair share of 50/50 balls.

My unpopular opinions I'm currently willing to die on is that Dennis Allen is a better than average coach. I think he will start to prove that this season when we win the division and make a playoff run.

AND

Carr is an upper second-tier QB. I think he's near-ish to a top 10 QB in the NFL. He really started to look good as he got some protection as the O-line solidified somewhat last year and played among the best QBs in the last quarter of the season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom