what should I do? (1 Viewer)

diat150

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
recently I bought a new truck, well some idiot at a business next door that is owned my company was out in the open painting some fire extinguishers and now I got red paint all over my truck, and also about 30 other vehicles. I tried getting it off in a small spot and what does come off takes off the clear coat underneath it. I went got two estimates to repaint, one was 2800 and the other was 4000. I also went back to the dealer and asked how much would it cost to get into a new one... which was 5650. I even went on kelly blue book and used a 2006 model(mine is 2007) and put everything in excellent shape but the paint and it dropped the value by 3300. I dont want to repaint the truck because it will never match a factory paint job and I will lose value once I repaint it. The truck has 3200 miles on it and is barely 2 months old. I just dont know what I should ask for.

here is the truck
IMG_0804.JPG

has the idiot acknowledged that he did it? is he gonna fix it?

oh yeah, without a doubt. almost every vehicle in the lot has it... and his vehicle which is about 25 feet away from where he paints is full of it. his hood feels like sandpaper from all of the paint. They are definitely gonna do something but I dont know what I should ask for. the price to get in a nw truck, the lowest bid, highest bid....

Give it 2 years and you'll have paint, dents, chips, cracks, and so many other things you won't care at that point. :hihi:

Ask for a new truck, if they don't go for that get the best paint job you can find.
That is what I would do.

The "idiot" is responsible for fixing all the vehicles in the lot. This happens more often than you think. My family owns a couple of full service carwashes in the Houma area and this is a common issue.

Because this is common, often times the car wash people have non-destructive ways of getting the paint off. Tricks of the trade. Bring the car to a reputable place in your area. They will be able to either help you fix the problem or tell you that you need a new paint job.

well since the idiot works for them and was doing what they told him to do they are responsible. I went to a reputable body shop and also 2 dealers. at the body shop we tried a rubbing compound and then a sealant and basically what happened is that most of the paint comes off but it leaves holes in the clearcoat where it was at. all 3 recommend not repainting the truck and they all agree that buffing the truck may get some of it off but will leave swirls in the paint. so either which way I go I am screwed because if I repaint the truck it will lose value and if I buff it off it will leaves the little holes in the clearcoat and also leave swirls all over the truck... which IMHO isnt a good thing for a truck that is 2 months old.

A new truck probably won't happen. I would bring in the larger estimate and something to show that the value of the car decreases because of a new paint job and ask for the total of those two numbers. I am sure this is covered by insurance, so they will probably ask you to bring the car in to one of their shops and get an estimate.

Buff out the whole truck and then get them to reshoot the whole truck with a clear coat....bout the only thing that makes sense to me....:9:

Hang on a sec. The truck is 2 mos old? Any good bodyshop will be able to paint the whole thing and no one will ever know it was done by the time they are done with it. Just make sure they do the gaps and jambs. If not, they have ways of blending the paint in to keep from getting color inconsistancies. It would be different if the truck was older, as the paint fades over time. Also, if I recall correctly, GM uses a single stage paint. which means the clearcoat is combined with the paint itself, as opposed to a dual stage paint, where the cleacoat was applied after the paint was layed on. Most good bodyshops will use both types of paints.

As far as it losing value, that thing started losing value before the ink dried on the deal you signed.

all 3 body shops have told me not to repaint the truck. the manager of the dealership that I bought it from said that repainting it will make it lose more value than if i leave it alone. I think that since the paint has caused my truck to lose about 4000 dollars in value, and I got estimates for 2800 and 4000, that i should get the average of all of the estimates, which is 3600.

>>As far as it losing value, that thing started losing value before the ink dried on the deal you signed.

as for that, yes it is true, but so far it lost 1650 dollars since i drove it off the lot then another 4000 because of someones ignorance.

Last edited:
A new truck probably won't happen. I would bring in the larger estimate and something to show that the value of the car decreases because of a new paint job and ask for the total of those two numbers. I am sure this is covered by insurance, so they will probably ask you to bring the car in to one of their shops and get an estimate.

His highest estimate was $4000 and the value lost by painting was $3300 which is $7300. It would cost him $5800 to get a new truck.

Just have the whole thing painted fire extinguisher red.

Chicks dig red cars.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom