What side meat for white beans/cornbread? (1 Viewer)

0rion

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Doing a lot of white beans today. Normally I fry up some hog jaw. Beans have ham in them already but I always like to have that 2nd meat. Daughter has been braces so probably can't do hog jaw so I'm looking for a back up meat. Seems back in the day mom would do fried chicken but that doesn't sound quite right either. I could do us hog jaw and my daughter some regular bacon I guess? Or skillet fry some thick ham slices?

sausage is good but don't we all pretty much do that with red beans? You have to change up the whole thing, else the beans do not offer a solid alt for each other.

I don't know that it needs a second meat, but if you must, I'd go with either luncheon or potted. The potted meat should be most "braces friendly". ;)

If the beans are already smoky and spicy, maybe go with a milder sausage like turkey or chicken? I usually use pork tenderloin in black-eyed peas (haven't had white beans since I moved out of my parents home decades ago), so that could possibly work as well.
Smoked or hot sausage often goes with red beans, but I guess they'd work.

Lamb fries or Rocky Mountain oysters are also a good option.

Last edited:
Pork chops would be a good one...never thought of doing those. I like my hog jaw and only eat it when we have beans so I'm doing that I think but may try up a pork chop or 2 for my daughter....and for me to try

Pork chop, thin to medium thick, fried in a hot cast iron skillet. No need to overthink white beans and cornbread.

When I was a teenager I was in a group that used to go help when a hurricane was coming. Had this exact meal on a tugboat after a long day of filling sandbags in Golden Meadow — still among the best meals I’ve ever had in my life.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom