Music What Song/Album Are You Listening To? (6 Viewers)

My 16 year-old son has just started playing the electric guitar. To that end he just bought his first vinyl--Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits, so I'm getting ready to dig out my 35 year-old Technics SL-Q3 turntable and my 200+ albums. Now I'm looking to find a vintage Marantz Amp/Tuner, and some old Bose speakers. You know, just like the ones I sold 8-10 years ago :covri:

Life does indeed go in circles :)

My 16 year-old son has just started playing the electric guitar. To that end he just bought his first vinyl--Jimi Hendrix Greatest Hits, so I'm getting ready to dig out my 35 year-old Technics SL-Q3 turntable and my 200+ albums. Now I'm looking to find a vintage Marantz Amp/Tuner, and some old Bose speakers. You know, just like the ones I sold 8-10 years ago :covri:

Life does indeed go in circles :)

Prepare for some serious sticker shock on anything vintage Marantz now, it's become stupid popular with collectors.

Prepare for some serious sticker shock on anything vintage Marantz now, it's become stupid popular with collectors.
Yeah, the retro Yamaha, Marantz, and even Technics are going up. I'm placing a bid on a Marantz SR 2000 so we'll see what happens.

Don't overlook some of the more modern stuff from the 90s and early 2000s. People tend to just give it away because it's not cutting-edge, or it doesn't have a polished aluminum faceplate - but I've got a B&K pre/pro setup that cost around $2000 retail in 2002. It sounds as good as anything vintage I've heard and cost me like $300 used last year.

I've got a closet full of Yamaha stuff in various states of disrepair, if you're the fix-it type. I've also got a Technics integrated amp that works great but the wood veneer on the cabinet is in bad shape. Send me a PM if you hit a dead end on what you're looking for.

My current 2-channel rig is all early 1990s Yamaha. They overbuilt their stuff back then when other manufacturers were cheaping out. The amp is an MX-830 - 200 watts per channel and the transformer alone weighs almost 30 pounds. It's not particularly cool looking but it sounds awesome, plus they had remote controls by then.

Last edited:
If you like Country Music, specifically 90's and earlier, that Midland CD is pretty good cover to cover, they may be 2018, but their music sounds like 90's country.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom