What the heck is wrong with Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I’m not arguing about the Dallas game or any other game. You brought up the first game against the Bucs and said they slowed our passing game down, and implied that they established some kind of blue print to defending us. That just didnt happen. Not even close. That’s all I’m saying. I didn’t mean for it to become a multi-post deal (or an argument), but it simply wasn’t an accurate observation or piece of analysis.

I had to go and re-watch that game to refresh my memory. I said the Bucs jumped up early, in the 1st qt....by 17 points. Well, the truth is the Bucs did indeed jumped up on the scoreboard, but it wasn't in the 1st qt, actually they opened up a 17 point lead in the 3rd qt, and increased their lead to 24 points early in the 4th qt. Again to me the important thing it was that the worst team in the div. actually had the best record vs the Saints ....heck for the past 2 years they have a .500 record vs the Saints, compared with the other 2 teams in the same div, who have an incredible 1&7 record for the same period, with 1 more game to go.....incredible, if you ask me! They must been doing something right.....

Now, I indeed said that the Bucs slowed down the Saints passing game, and I stand by that. Just look at the scoring sumary: the Saints opened up the scoring but the Bucs took over the lead, and by halftime they were leading by 1 TD....but from there on the Saints fell behind on the scoreboard first in the 3rd qt by 17 points, than by 24 points early in the 4th qt. To me that was a slowdown. The Saints just couldn't keep up with the Bucs.......or how would you call that by falling behind by 24 points with less than a qt to go....??

I said that the Bucs have a scheme which makes Brees uncomfortable in the pocket....I stand by that also. we had many discussions about this very same topic in the past here on this forum ......I said that it originates from the Bucs, but other teams successfully borrowed that scheme, like the Panthers, and most recently the Cowboys. The Panthers lost a very close game but their D was very effective using the same tactics. The Cowboys won with that same approach. Did Brees looked like he was in control in both of these 2 games??...I don't think so...I jokingly referred to that as his kryptonite, b/c he damn sure is not the same player when facing the same scheme...

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I had to go and re-watch that game to refresh my memory. I said the Bucs jumped up early, in the 1st qt....by 17 points. Well, the truth is the Bucs did indeed jumped up on the scoreboard, but it wasn't in the 1st qt, actually they opened up a 17 point lead in the 3rd qt, and increased their lead to 24 points early in the 4th qt. Again to me the important thing it was that the worst team in the div. actually had the best record vs the Saints ....heck for the past 2 years they have a .500 record vs the Saints, compared with the other 2 teams in the same div, who have an incredible 1&7 record for the same period, with 1 more game to go.....incredible, if you ask me! They must been doing something right.....

Now, I indeed said that the Bucs slowed down the Saints passing game, and I stand by that. Just look at the scoring sumary: the Saints opened up the scoring but the Bucs took over the lead, and by halftime they were leading by 1 TD....but from there on the Saints fell behind on the scoreboard first in the 3rd qt by 17 points, than by 24 points early in the 4th qt. To me that was a slowdown. The Saints just couldn't keep up with the Bucs.......or how would you call that by falling behind by 24 points with less than a qt to go....??

I said that the Bucs have a scheme which makes Brees uncomfortable in the pocket....I stand by that also. we had many discussions about this very same topic in the past here on this forum ......I said that it originates from the Bucs, but other teams successfully borrowed that scheme, like the Panthers, and most recently the Cowboys. The Panthers lost a very close game but their D was very effective using the same tactics. The Cowboys won with that same approach. Did Brees looked like he was in control in both of these 2 games??...I don't think so...I jokingly referred to that as his kryptonite, b/c he damn sure is not the same player when facing the same scheme...
Say what you want about the Bucs’ scheme, I’m not arguing that.

But THAT specific game is a really poor example of the passing game being slowed down. Brees was incredible, threw for well over 400 yards and 3 tds. We scored 40 points.

And this offensive performance was all about the passing game as our run game never got going that day.

We only punted 3 times all day and one of those punts had more to do with a penalty than anything related the passing game. A big reason the Bucs were able to build that lead is that we fumbled a punt and our backup running back fumbled too, which was returned for a td.

The passing game was on point that day. There just are no two ways about it. It’s a bad example for the point you are trying to make.

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Say what you want about the Bucs’ scheme, I’m not arguing that.

But THAT specific game is a really poor example of the passing game being slowed down. Brees was incredible, threw for well over 400 yards and 3 tds. We scored 40 points.

And this offensive performance was all about the passing game as our run game never got going that day.

We only punted 3 times all day and one of those punts had more to do with a penalty than anything related the passing game. A big reason the Bucs were able to build that lead is that we fumbled a punt and our backup running back fumbled too, which was returned for a td.

The passing game was on point that day. There just are no two ways about it. It’s a bad example for the point you are trying to make.
Well, I'm sorry to break it to you, but that game was lost between halftime and 4th qt, when the Bucs went ahead by 24 points. with only 12:19 minutes left in the 4th qt, that game was out of reach.......sure the Saints offense scored late, but did that influenced the game in any way? Nope! Everybody knew the Saints will lose, when they went down by 24 points, that late window dressing was for show only.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Well, I'm sorry to break it to you, but that game was lost between halftime and 4th qt, when the Bucs went ahead by 24 points. with only 12:19 minutes left in the 4th qt, that game was out of reach.......sure the Saints offense scored late, but did that influenced the game in any way? Nope! Everybody knew the Saints will lose, when they went down by 24 points, that late window dressing was for show only.
Ok, I’m officially done with this topic. You’re just flat out incorrect and don’t even seem to be willing to listen to reason at this point. You were wrong about the whole “slow start” thing you began with and you are still wrong.

Did the scoring “influence the game in any way”? Of course it did! We were only down 1 score with almost 4 min left. That’s a winnable scenario. It was not in any way “out of reach”. That’s another thing you’ve stated that’s incorrect.

And again, while we lost, the passing game had NOTHING to do with that. That is my dispute with what you keep saying. We completed 82% of our passes for an impressive 9.8 yards per attempt. We only punted 3 times all day, and only twice in the second half. One of those 2nd half punts was because of a penalty.

We fell behind because we couldn’t play a lick of defense that day and we fumbled twice, neither of which was on a passing play. One of those punts was returned for a td and the other resulted in a td.

I understand the point that you were trying to make but you keep trying to use this game as an example. It’s a terrible example. I’m sorry to sound so cross but you keep challenging this and trying to assert things that just aren’t remotely true.

Our passing game was not slowed down that game. It didn’t happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cage1 Everything Else Board 121
SaintsSwag Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1