What the heck is wrong with Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

not2rich

NO State of Mind
Reaction score
Trying to be a smart guy huh. Isn't that what i just said? There were times where drew was bad on his own(the int's against dallas and tampa). I'm not going to let brees off the hook,but i was argued down last week that we needed a back up lineman more than ted ginn. The same dude who's talking about how badly we need ted ginn said we were good at receiver and didn't need anyone when other people show concern.

Be consistent. Don't say we are great at receiver when drew is playing well(due to michael thomas having a big game),then blame the same receivers that you said we were ok with when drew ia playing poorly.

Like i said before i'm the biggest advocate for ted ginn coming back. Our biggest need on offense is a receiver. Hopefully our o line can get healthy. You either didn't read my comment or didn't comprehend well.
Maybe I misunderstood you, but obviously Brees isn't going to be great if his o-line is poor and receivers aren't getting open. Isn't that the case for all QB's including the elite ones?

Sure, Brees made some bad throws against Dallas and Tampa, but given decent protection, his ability to move in the pocket, and put the ball on the hands of semi-open receivers, he usually completes his throws. So "what's wrong with Brees", exactly?

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Its not so much a lack of talent or a lack of time. What makes this offense so deadly is that Brees and his WRs are on the same page so much so that Drew can throw on anticipation to a set spot at a set time and that WR will know exactly where that pass is going as does the receiver. It makes defending those passes near impossible. What we have now is simply a lack of trust. CBs have been physical and knocking the WRs off the timing. Therefore Brees is needing to throw to the player instead of a spot. It’s not his strength. Thing is it’s going to take one good week of practice, a couple good games to get the mojo back. The problems aren’t that big nor that insurmountable.

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
It's not only about tonight. The fact is drew brees has not played like drew brees these last few games. No one should be talking to me about receivers. I know our receivers are a huge issue and i've started this time and time again. I was told that a back up o lineman was more important than have ted ginn back. I'm the biggest advocate that we need a legit number 2 receiver.

Drew brees is not playing well. The o line isn't playing well,but what can you expect when you have receivers who can't get open? Brees has to hold onto the ball longer and the o line has to block longer. Funny how the same idiot who called me a moron said we were good at receiver and didn't need anyone. Now all of a sudden we need a number 2 receiver 😂😂😂😂.
Let me ask you something....do you remember how the Saints lost the first game against the Bucs? I f you do then you also know what the Bucs D did to slow down the sainst passing attack....

Do you remember how the Saints lost against Dallas?....if you saw the Saints first loss against the Bucs you will also remember that what Dallas did was parroting the Bucs on defense....

And what did you see tonight? You saw the very same exct thing both Dallas and the Bucs did....

Clog up the middle, and double up the outside receivers.......just as simple!

Drew Brees never played good against that setup If he can't see much in front of him, he will struggle with his throws .....heck we talked about this very topic right after the Dallas loss...

So what changed? The Saints D changed for sure!....for the better, that is...

Tonight the Saints D played by far their best game of the season! They were superb not only against the run, but against the pass as well......that was the difference between the Dallas loss, and the Panthers win. They shut down both the running and the passing game of the Panthers. That was the main reason the Saints won tonight with their D...bot run and pass D!

SkiLLessOne

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Drew brees and the whole offense is playing like garbage. It's hard to defend the offense period. Lol all you people have to talk about is when someone joined like that is relevant. I don't care about people getting butthurt. The op is entitled to his opinion. So it's ok for people to call our defense garbage(when they are playing bad)but it's a crime to call brees garbage(when he's playing like it). Is brees a garbage qb? No. Is he playing bad right now? Yes.

People have been calling rodgers overrated and bad,but no one can say anything about brees playing bad. I swear some of you probably cry if you read one negative thing about brees.sorry,but i'm not afraid to call out anyone when they are playing negative. You or anyone else bringing up the date i joined or crying about it won't change that.

Sorry not sorry. I'm happy to be 12-2. I still have a little faith that brees and payton will get it together and get the number one seed. They haven't lost at home in the playoffs,but i need them and the rest of the offense to get it together and win sunday so we can rest our guys.
Brees is not exempt from criticism, but it has to be valid and thoughtful critique versus "why is Drew hot garbage, LuLz". He has had the last few weeks some bad game management. That interception attempting the 2pt tonight was terrible as there was no way that ball was getting to any Saint. The late interception in the Dallas game was just as bad except unfortunately that one cost us the game. But he can only do so much. Football is a team game. No matter how great Drew is he still needs a ton of help to pull it all together. That includes receivers actually not only catching but holding onto the ball. If the receivers actually held onto the balls Drew threw them tonight the score would have been drastically different.

There are things that cannot be measured on a stat sheet and one of those things hurting this team at the moment is rest. I simply think this team needs to get back home in their own beds and just get their mind on the prize and forget about the missed plays here and there. Three road games with all three of those being against tough teams and coming out 2-1 with the #1 seed pretty much on lock is not easy in today's NFL. So yea we can critique every player up and down but at the end of the day if we get the W then really its a waste of time. I do agree they will need to pull it together next week against the Steelers cause they will also be playing for their post season shot. I have to believe that Brees & Payton know whats at stake and wont let a loss occur in our house sunday though.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
These threads give me an idea of which posters have reasonable football knowledge..........and which ones are just blowhards who seem to be obsessed with wanting to be the "first" to "call it" regarding any alleged decline of Brees.

Spoiler alert........half-wits have been claiming Brees is declining since like 2012. At some point, maybe somebody will get it right.

They lost to Dallas...........ok, that looked rough.............didn't set the world on fire against Tampa and still won by 2 TDs........and now gutted out a tough win against a desperate division rival who was clinging to their last playoff hope. 2-1 in that 3-game road stretch. Not sure what some of you call that.....I call that getting it done.

Dude's gonna go ape-**** again and drop 350-plus / 4 TDs sooner or later on someone. Just relax. And study some football history

Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood you, but obviously Brees isn't going to be great if his o-line is poor and receivers aren't getting open. Isn't that the case for all QB's including the elite ones?

Sure, Brees made some bad throws against Dallas and Tampa, but given decent protection, his ability to move in the pocket, and put the ball on the hands of semi-open receivers, he usually completes his throws. So "what's wrong with Brees", exactly?
My whole point was we need better receivers. I'm not letting drew or the o line off the hook,but when you have receivers that can't get open or catch that will make them look ten times worse. Drew has a few games every year where he will look bad,but what we have seen the last few weeks is much worse.

I told people last week that we needed ginn back big time and alot of them were saying we needed a back up lineman more. Ginn is a deepthreat that will help drew and the o line. I'm not saying brees is the full problem(he's made some bad plays that no one,but him can take blame for),but it all boils down to not having a legit deepthreat/verteran. Some people feel we are good with what we got and don't need any other receivers,but they wonder why our offense has taken a step back. Defenses have gotten smart. They keyed in on thomas and kamara and are forcing brees to beat them with no name receivers,but some people want to act clueless.

This is why we should bring ginn back from ir instead of the other guy. Problem is our o line is getting banged up. We are in a tough place with that.

OP
OP

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
You're supporting a thread creator for making a wild opinion about Drew being "garbage" and then decide to pick on someone for calling out such idiocy. Oh I see that you "BLEED BLACK & GOLD" yet just joined a few weeks ago...makes sense.

Get your facts straight, dude. I never called drew garbage. I said he looked like garbage the last 3 weeks. The stat line backs up my opinion. But I guess facts are "wild opinions"?

Reaction score
Brees is not exempt from criticism, but it has to be valid and thoughtful critique versus "why is Drew hot garbage, LuLz". He has had the last few weeks some bad game management. That interception attempting the 2pt tonight was terrible as there was no way that ball was getting to any Saint. The late interception in the Dallas game was just as bad except unfortunately that one cost us the game. But he can only do so much. Football is a team game. No matter how great Drew is he still needs a ton of help to pull it all together. That includes receivers actually not only catching but holding onto the ball. If the receivers actually held onto the balls Drew threw them tonight the score would have been drastically different.

There are things that cannot be measured on a stat sheet and one of those things hurting this team at the moment is rest. I simply think this team needs to get back home in their own beds and just get their mind on the prize and forget about the missed plays here and there. Three road games with all three of those being against tough teams and coming out 2-1 with the #1 seed pretty much on lock is not easy in today's NFL. So yea we can critique every player up and down but at the end of the day if we get the W then really its a waste of time. I do agree they will need to pull it together next week against the Steelers cause they will also be playing for their post season shot. I have to believe that Brees & Payton know whats at stake and wont let a loss occur in our house sunday though.

This is why we have to bring ginn back and hope he's 100%. That's my whole point. Brees has made some bad plays that are all on him,but we need another veteran receiver badly. I'm concerned about the o line(especially with these 3 injuries),but as i stated before, it doesn't matter how good they do if the receivers can't get open. Some people feel as though we don't need ginn(or any toher veteran back) and are good without him.

Reaction score
Let me ask you something....do you remember how the Saints lost the first game against the Bucs? I f you do then you also know what the Bucs D did to slow down the sainst passing attack....

Do you remember how the Saints lost against Dallas?....if you saw the Saints first loss against the Bucs you will also remember that what Dallas did was parroting the Bucs on defense....

And what did you see tonight? You saw the very same exct thing both Dallas and the Bucs did....

Clog up the middle, and double up the outside receivers.......just as simple!

Drew Brees never played good against that setup If he can't see much in front of him, he will struggle with his throws .....heck we talked about this very topic right after the Dallas loss...

So what changed? The Saints D changed for sure!....for the better, that is...

Tonight the Saints D played by far their best game of the season! They were superb not only against the run, but against the pass as well......that was the difference between the Dallas loss, and the Panthers win. They shut down both the running and the passing game of the Panthers. That was the main reason the Saints won tonight with their D...bot run and pass D!

That week one loss was on the saints defense. Our offense had their way with them. Two turnovers hurt us in that game. That tampa loss and dallas loss wasn't the same. Our defense got dominated week one ans offense was dominated against the. Cowboys. We scored 40 on tampa and moved the ball on them all game. It's easy to do what dallas and carolina did when you don't have a deepthreat. Double thomas and force brees to dump it off to the backs. Dallas was ready for that. A team with good lbs will win that battle.

OP
OP

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe the pressure is getting to us, and Drew isn’t elite, and maybe the NFL doesn’t want us in the Super Bowl, or maybe this is just a bad patch.

I’m going with the latter.

which is why I said the last 3 weeks. Everyone is so sensitive to any negative comment about Drew. 12 dang points!!! 12!!

Reaction score
These threads give me an idea of which posters have reasonable football knowledge..........and which ones are just blowhards who seem to be obsessed with wanting to be the "first" to "call it" regarding any alleged decline of Brees.

Spoiler alert........half-wits have been claiming Brees is declining since like 2012. At some point, maybe somebody will get it right.

They lost to Dallas...........ok, that looked rough.............didn't set the world on fire against Tampa and still won by 2 TDs........and now gutted out a tough win against a desperate division rival who was clinging to their last playoff hope. 2-1 in that 3-game road stretch. Not sure what some of you call that.....I call that getting it done.

Dude's gonna go ape-**** again and drop 350-plus / 4 TDs sooner or later on someone. Just relax. And study some football history
Are you willing to bet on those stats? Exactly what receiver will he throw to in order to have those numbers? I hope you're right though.

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
As I am sure it has been pointed out several times... (forgive me I don’t have time to read through 8+ pages)

Drew Brees is still Drew Brees. I think we are seeing what happens when you slowly start to take away his supporting cast.

-Offensive Line was shuffled tonight (Unger / Armstead / Bushrod out)
-Our lack of WR outside of Thomas is starting to show; teams are doubling up on Karma / Thomas and daring us to beat them: some games it works some games it doesn’t.

This is the same offense as before, the only difference is we have a defense that can hold the other team.

We really need a solid pass catching addition this offseason, wether it be at TE or WR. Someone needs to be able to step up outside of Karma / Thomas.

dvdman

All-Pro
Reaction score
You are playing with your own words, you used the word "garbage" to describe his play....enough said. Don't try to crawfish out
of your original post. Next time try to be more professional with your choice of words.

Get your facts straight, dude. I never called drew garbage. I said he looked like garbage the last 3 weeks. The stat line backs up my opinion. But I guess facts are "wild opinions"?

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
which is why I said the last 3 weeks. Everyone is so sensitive to any negative comment about Drew. 12 dang points!!! 12!!
I’m actually there with you (though not on the same level). I don’t think that this is the same Drew that we are used to. I think more throws are getting away from him than we care to admit, but I still think he is good enough to be a compliment to our run game as opposed to a detriment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan in Lafayette SR News Page Articles 0

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom