What the heck is wrong with Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m actually there with you (though not on the same level). I don’t think that this is the same Drew that we are used to. I think more throws are getting away from him than we care to admit, but I still think he is good enough to be a compliment to our run game as opposed to a detriment.
You would think with some of the comments towards me, that I am anti-Drew. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I have so much repspect for his game that I wonder what is going on with him the lat 3 weeks. He never had the greatest receivers or o-lines when he was throwing for 5000 yards every other year, but there is definitely something going on with him atm. I dont know what it is, but we should expect better from him. thats all I was saying.
You are playing with your own words, you used the word "garbage" to describe his play....enough said. Don't try to crawfish out
of your original post. Next time try to be more professional with your choice of words.

What the Fork!? are you for real or just drunk? Professional? this is a forum not sports illustrated. LMAO, You must be illiterate as heck b/c i clearly said he looked like garbage the last "3" weeks. Once again, facts don't matter on the internet.

OP
OP

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
He’s a first ballot Hall of Famer. It can be fairly said that he lifted this team out of the realm of irrelevance and onto its first Super Bowl win. He’s been a proponent and champion of the City of New Orleans. And you choose to use the word, garbage, in reference to him? Idiot.
LOL so someone does something in the past so you cant make an observation of something they did in the presence? Yeah, I'm the idiot. Put your helmet back on. I think you bumped your head.

OP
OP

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
These threads give me an idea of which posters have reasonable football knowledge..........and which ones are just blowhards who seem to be obsessed with wanting to be the "first" to "call it" regarding any alleged decline of Brees.

Spoiler alert........half-wits have been claiming Brees is declining since like 2012. At some point, maybe somebody will get it right.

They lost to Dallas...........ok, that looked rough.............didn't set the world on fire against Tampa and still won by 2 TDs........and now gutted out a tough win against a desperate division rival who was clinging to their last playoff hope. 2-1 in that 3-game road stretch. Not sure what some of you call that.....I call that getting it done.

Dude's gonna go ape-**** again and drop 350-plus / 4 TDs sooner or later on someone. Just relax. And study some football history

Seems you should do some research on the last "3" weeks.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Seems you should do some research on the last "3" weeks.
You mean those 3 road games where we went 2-1..............losing 1 game by 3 points.......and winning one of them by 14?

Yeah, I'm familiar with them.

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Let me ask you something....do you remember how the Saints lost the first game against the Bucs? I f you do then you also know what the Bucs D did to slow down the sainst passing attack....

Do you remember how the Saints lost against Dallas?....if you saw the Saints first loss against the Bucs you will also remember that what Dallas did was parroting the Bucs on defense....

And what did you see tonight? You saw the very same exct thing both Dallas and the Bucs did....

Clog up the middle, and double up the outside receivers.......just as simple!

Drew Brees never played good against that setup If he can't see much in front of him, he will struggle with his throws .....heck we talked about this very topic right after the Dallas loss...

So what changed? The Saints D changed for sure!....for the better, that is...

Tonight the Saints D played by far their best game of the season! They were superb not only against the run, but against the pass as well......that was the difference between the Dallas loss, and the Panthers win. They shut down both the running and the passing game of the Panthers. That was the main reason the Saints won tonight with their D...bot run and pass D!
The way we lost to the Bucs has nothing to do with slowing Brees down or the offense being held down.

I’m not sure I understand your point.

OP
OP

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
You mean those 3 road games where we went 2-1..............losing 1 game by 3 points.......and winning one of them by 14?

Yeah, I'm familiar with them.
Defense won those games. Pure and simple. Kick rocks kid.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Defense won those games. Pure and simple. Kick rocks kid.
I wasn't aware that we were never, at any point, allowed to rely on the defense for a win.

There are 3 phases to football.

OP
OP

zippy

Veteran
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that we were never, at any point, allowed to rely on the defense for a win.

There are 3 phases to football.
Stick to your argument. You are just moving the goal posts now scrublord.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
Stick to your argument. You are just moving the goal posts now scrublord.
My argument is that the offense had some down weeks after playing mainly at an absolutely torrid offensive pace. Anyone with even elementary football knowledge would know that's not sustainable. At some point, you'll see a Saints offense that you're more accustomed to seeing.

Don't feel bad, we all start somewhere as football fans. Maybe you just started watching this season and you're still in the "we'll score 40 every single week and nobody will ever stop us" phase of fandom. And right now you're going through initial grief phases of struggling to understand why that can't happen.

crosswatt

Bulldawg was my friend
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
These threads give me an idea of which posters have reasonable football knowledge..........and which ones are just blowhards who seem to be obsessed with wanting to be the "first" to "call it" regarding any alleged decline of Brees.

Spoiler alert........half-wits have been claiming Brees is declining since like 2012. At some point, maybe somebody will get it right.

They lost to Dallas...........ok, that looked rough.............didn't set the world on fire against Tampa and still won by 2 TDs........and now gutted out a tough win against a desperate division rival who was clinging to their last playoff hope. 2-1 in that 3-game road stretch. Not sure what some of you call that.....I call that getting it done.

Dude's gonna go ape-**** again and drop 350-plus / 4 TDs sooner or later on someone. Just relax. And study some football history
It was Andy Benoit from MMQB who first started that idiocy. And it just won't die.

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
The way we lost to the Bucs has nothing to do with slowing Brees down or the offense being held down.

I’m not sure I understand your point.
I thought I made my point pretty clear. The Saints offense goes as Brees goes. First, some years ago it was the Bucs who decided to bring a major push up the middle right in Drew's face.....Drew being short has a hard time seeing the field in front of him, he knows he can't scramble sideways, so he does the only thing he can do at that point...throw towards the sideline. problem is the opponents are doubling up their sideline coverage, and that also affects the Saints passing game negatively. Drew's pick came exactly from such a play he threw the ball towards the sideline, and the ball bounced up and was intercepted....however, if you watched the replay, on exactly the same play an other Saints player was wide open and run a crossing pattern right in front of Drew... but Drew never saw that player, The Panthers D was successful blocking Drew's view, as they clogged up the middle of the LOS.....and yesterday almost happened again against the Panthers...their D did a heckuve job and almost succeeded.

That scheme was, and is still is Drew's cryptonite once teams clog up the middle of the LOS, it becomes harder and harder for Drew to maximize his effectiveness...the first loss, and the Dallas loss was the direct result of this defensive scheme

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I thought I made my point pretty clear. The Saints offense goes as Brees goes. First, some years ago it was the Bucs who decided to bring a major push up the middle right in Drew's face.....Drew being short has a hard time seeing the field in front of him, he knows he can't scramble sideways, so he does the only thing he can do at that point...throw towards the sideline. problem is the opponents are doubling up their sideline coverage, and that also affects the Saints passing game negatively. Drew's pick came exactly from such a play he threw the ball towards the sideline, and the ball bounced up and was intercepted....however, if you watched the replay, on exactly the same play an other Saints player was wide open and run a crossing pattern right in front of Drew... but Drew never saw that player, The Panthers D was successful blocking Drew's view, as they clogged up the middle of the LOS.....and yesterday almost happened again against the Panthers...their D did a heckuve job and almost succeeded.

That scheme was, and is still is Drew's cryptonite once teams clog up the middle of the LOS, it becomes harder and harder for Drew to maximize his effectiveness...the first loss, and the Dallas loss was the direct result of this defensive scheme
Respectfully, I don’t think it was very clear. You referenced the loss to the Bucs this year and how they “slowed our passing game”. Brees and our passing game was on fire that game.

Sure, Drew Brees doesn’t like middle pressure, but that first loss did not establish any kind of blueprint to beating us or slowing down Brees.

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Respectfully, I don’t think it was very clear. You referenced the loss to the Bucs this year and how they “slowed our passing game”. Brees and our passing game was on fire that game.

Sure, Drew Brees doesn’t like middle pressure, but that first loss did not establish any kind of blueprint to beating us or slowing down Brees.
If you look at the other div opponents, the Bucs are probably the most successful in playing the Saints. ....and everybody knows the Bucs are the worst team in the division...

coincidence??? I think not. I remember some years ago the Saints were in the hunt for a playoff spot, all they had to do is beating the Bucs, their next opponent. Drew was on fire, like he was every week....but something unexplained happened against the Bucs....Drew was awful, he threw multiple picks, and the Saints lost the game. If you watched over the years, the Bucs always gave fits to the Saints at least in one game. But the Saints bounced back in their second game...

The Panthers were the other team who borrowed this scheme....and the Panthers also gave the Saints a hard time....games are extremely close on some occasions, the Panthers D knows how to play the Saints.

Dallas did exactly the very same thing in their victory against the Saints....Saints were riding high after a 10 game winning streak, yet Dallas had Drew's cryptonite....and the Saints lost. But it was close....just like the Panthers game. Go back and rewatch both the Dallas and the Panthers game.....watch how these defenses made Drew Brees look like Eli Manning....coincidence?

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
If you look at the other div opponents, the Bucs are probably the most successful in playing the Saints. ....and everybody knows the Bucs are the worst team in the division...

coincidence??? I think not. I remember some years ago the Saints were in the hunt for a playoff spot, all they had to do is beating the Bucs, their next opponent. Drew was on fire, like he was every week....but something unexplained happened against the Bucs....Drew was awful, he threw multiple picks, and the Saints lost the game. If you watched over the years, the Bucs always gave fits to the Saints at least in one game. But the Saints bounced back in their second game...

The Panthers were the other team who borrowed this scheme....and the Panthers also gave the Saints a hard time....games are extremely close on some occasions, the Panthers D knows how to play the Saints.

Dallas did exactly the very same thing in their victory against the Saints....Saints were riding high after a 10 game winning streak, yet Dallas had Drew's cryptonite....and the Saints lost. But it was close....just like the Panthers game. Go back and rewatch both the Dallas and the Panthers game.....watch how these defenses made Drew Brees look like Eli Manning....coincidence?
I’m not talking about or debating historical tendencies.

You referenced a very specific a game from THIS season. In that game Brees threw for over 400 yards, 3 tds, had no turnovers and put up a 129.5 quarterback rating. We scored 40 points.

Neither he nor our offense was slowed down in that game. You said that they “slowed down our passing game” that day but they didn’t, not even close. That was my only point.

birdog

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I’m not talking about or debating historical tendencies.

You referenced a very specific a game from THIS season. In that game Brees threw for over 400 yards, 3 tds, had no turnovers and put up a 129.5 quarterback rating. We scored 40 points.

Neither he nor our offense was slowed down in that game. You said that they “slowed down our passing game” that day but they didn’t, not even close. That was my only point.
In both games the Saints fell behind early. In NOLA the Bucs jumped ahead like 17 points in the 1st qt (if I remember correctly)....and then traded points till the end of the game. Drew Brees had a very slow start, the Bucs managed to maintain their early lead. Those stats are nice for Brees, but the Saints lost their game

In Tampa the exact thing happened again....the Bucs went ahead early, but this time the Saints came back and won the game. In both instances the Bucs used the same formula.....and managed to slow down Brees. I know for you, a casual fan this is nothing, but to me it was something I have kept my eyes on since the Bucs are always manage to screw up the Saints occasionally. This year, just as last year the teams split their meetings. this is something the Panthers couldn't do last year, nor the Falcons this year. Its like the Bucs are like counterfeit money....they always manage to cause problems

Loco Hornet Fan

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
In both games the Saints fell behind early. In NOLA the Bucs jumped ahead like 17 points in the 1st qt (if I remember correctly)....and then traded points till the end of the game. Drew Brees had a very slow start, the Bucs managed to maintain their early lead. Those stats are nice for Brees, but the Saints lost their game

In Tampa the exact thing happened again....the Bucs went ahead early, but this time the Saints came back and won the game. In both instances the Bucs used the same formula.....and managed to slow down Brees. I know for you, a casual fan this is nothing, but to me it was something I have kept my eyes on since the Bucs are always manage to screw up the Saints occasionally. This year, just as last year the teams split their meetings. this is something the Panthers couldn't do last year, nor the Falcons this year. Its like the Bucs are like counterfeit money....they always manage to cause problems
That’s not what happened though. We scored first and the game was incredibly close in the first half. There was nothing close to a slow start. The Bucs built up a nice lead in the third quarter but we came roaring back.

The stats didn’t just “look nice” for Brees. He and the passing game (we only averaged 3.3 yards per carry that day) were the only reason we almost won the game.

We scored 40 points and it was because of how amazing Brees played and how efficient our passing game was that day.

I’m not arguing about the Dallas game or any other game. You brought up the first game against the Bucs and said they slowed our passing game down, and implied that they established some kind of blue print to defending us. That just didnt happen. Not even close. That’s all I’m saying. I didn’t mean for it to become a multi-post deal (or an argument), but it simply wasn’t an accurate observation or piece of analysis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom