What the Saint's D needs is a good pass rushing OLB as in what OLD #57 used to do for the Saints (1 Viewer)

What position would Suggs play in a 4-3? Wasn't he a DE in the 4-3?

Yes he did which makes him so valuable. He knows how to shed blocks. I am hoping we could sign him to take Shanle's spot. I am curious to know if he is any good in coverage but i do remember on sirius radio in the offseason Adam Schein saying he is the most feared linebacker in the league.

Yes he did which makes him so valuable. He knows how to shed blocks. I am hoping we could sign him to take Shanle's spot. I am curious to know if he is any good in coverage but i do remember on sirius radio in the offseason Adam Schein saying he is the most feared linebacker in the league.

If he can even cover marginally, I'd take him over Shanle. Just try to not use man coverage with him on a RB.

From what I have heard Mike D. say, he thinks Briggs would be even better as a MLB. If we could sign him and draft Keith Rivers our LB core would be upgraded majorly!

Different schemes. 57 would be DE in our existing D.

Yerdzme. We need help more at MLB/DT than outside or end IMO.

That and to send David p-p-p-packing.

If the Saints are looking for someone who can get after the passer old #57 style, then Vernon Gholston would be an option.....He had 13 sacks this season. I watched a few games and he has that ability to put on a strong rush to get to the QB quickly. He plays DE....so maybe Grant could go inside.....just a thought.

I just found an article from Kiper on Gholston and his ability to get to the QB:

Ohio State junior DE Vernon Gholston was nothing short of sensational in the Buckeyes' 14-3 win over the Wolverines. Michigan was simply unable to keep him out of the backfield for any extended period of time (he finished with four tackles for loss -- three of which were sacks).

Although most of his damage was done away from LT Jake Long, the senior found out firsthand just how difficult it can be to try to keep No. 50 away from the quarterback, as he was beaten to the outside and surrendered a sack. Gholston brought both outside and inside pressure, displaying very impressive power and closing speed.

Of the top prospects at the position for the 2009 draft, he has clearly proved to be the best of the bunch when it comes to generating heat on the quarterback. Case in point: The trio of Florida's Derrick Harvey (6.5 sacks), Miami (Fla.)'s Calais Campbell (six sacks) and LSU's Tyson Jackson (2.5 sacks) has combined for 15 sacks. Gholston has 13!
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=3119038

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom