What time to you eat Thanksgiving dinner? (1 Viewer)

We usually gather around noon, start eating by one or two and then napping in front of the TV by three or four.

Honestly, I've never even considered some people do Thanksgiving for dinner time. Of course I've heard the phrase Thanksgiving Dinner before, but that always meant the proper coordinating of courses in my head than any sort of indication of timeframe. Above is what we do, what we've always done... I just can't fathom waiting until after 6pm to eat all that food. What do you even eat for lunch on such a day? Anything to me would just ruin the anticipation. Trying to rationalize it now, it just doesn't make any sense to me. Thanksgiving for dinner just sounds like crazy talk.

We have family members attend who drive from 3 hours away, so having around Noon or 1pm allows time to get there but also enough time once they've arrived to enjoy the "afterglow" of the meal and still leave in time to get back home before it's very late.

Kids mother is very anti-thanksgiving... it is one of many hills I have decided not to die on.

She does not mind if I cook, it just cant be thanksgiving-ish.

So I will probably go over to their place and cook steak, asparagus, mashed potatoes, maybe some corn on the cob.

Might try to engage the kids in making a chocolate pie. Wanted to make my brown sugar pecan pie (no karo)... but I dont think they will eat it.

The thing I miss the most about turkey is making turkey and sausage gumbo from the leftovers.

I have always hated eating when the sun was still up. Lighting the candles on the table was always an honor the 6 kids used to fight over.

My grandmother was always big on the snacks all day and a short nap in the afternoon while the bird cooked. Oyster bisque, shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers and lots of chips and dips while several cooks work, drink and cut up in the kitchen.

I had to lobby hard to eat later this year and we finally agreed on 4 ish. I’m sure I can stall enough till it gets dark and people will float in and out of the house all day.
Either way it’s on of my favorite days of the year and I’ll be cooking, tending to the fireplace and tossing a ball in the back yard with some kids.
Happy thanksgiving all !!

Kids mother is very anti-thanksgiving... it is one of many hills I have decided not to die on.

She does not mind if I cook, it just cant be thanksgiving-ish.

So I will probably go over to their place and cook steak, asparagus, mashed potatoes, maybe some corn on the cob.

Might try to engage the kids in making a chocolate pie. Wanted to make my brown sugar pecan pie (no karo)... but I dont think they will eat it.

The thing I miss the most about turkey is making turkey and sausage gumbo from the leftovers.
Yes to the gumbo, I will snatch that carcass from anyone who tries to have seconds. Or soup, love turkey noodle soup.

We schedule it for 1 and usually eat between 5 and 6.

When you say you eat between 5 and 6 I'm assuming you mean sit down to start, right?

We schedule for 2 usually, but this year we had a last minute change of plans.

We are going to our club as a 3 person last minute brunch at 11. At first I thought this was pretty lame until we were invited to a couple of other later dinners which, if I play it right and drink properly means I can eat at 11, 3🍗 and maybe even 7..

🍾🦪

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom