What to do after selling your car (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Anyone know what steps to take after selling a vehicle, so that it is officially legally not yours anymore in the view of police, etc. I am thinking in terms of the car's license plate number being linked back to me in the future even though its not mine, if the new owner does a hit and run for example.

thanks...

You should have taken your license plate off the car and returned it to the DMV after cancelling the insurance on the vehicle. By doing this you are unregistering the car. I'm assuming you went through with a proper bill of sale. When the new owner registers the vehicle, he will have to present this paperwork and pay the tax, title, and license costs. That should just about do it.

You should have taken your license plate off the car and returned it to the DMV after cancelling the insurance on the vehicle. By doing this you are unregistering the car. I'm assuming you went through with a proper bill of sale. When the new owner registers the vehicle, he will have to present this paperwork and pay the tax, title, and license costs. That should just about do it.

Whoa whoa whoa.......so you didn't take the tag off before you let the other guy ride off with it? After cancelling insurance, don't you have so many days until they will suspend your license if you don't turn it in? I've never sold a car but I know that's the first thing you gotta do!

If you didn't get that tag, call the guy and tell him you gotta have it......now!

Glad I asked. Have not sold yet.

Never sold a car before and would have probably left it on.

thanks...

Glad I asked. Have not sold yet.

Never sold a car before and would have probably left it on.

thanks...

whew! no doubt.......another prob is that they might just throw it away and someone else gets it outta the garbage and robs a bank!

:ezbill:

Actually, if you would have sold the car with the plates on them, I believe all you have to do is call the Motor Vehicle Department and tell them the situation and they can clear you of any legalities in the matter - - (from experience in Mississippi).

Create a sales contract indicating the price and the buyers signature releasing you from the car.Be sure you make a copy of the title before turning it over. You do have a title right?

Create a sales contract indicating the price and the buyers signature releasing you from the car.Be sure you make a copy of the title before turning it over. You do have a title right?

The titles I've seen have a legal bill of sale form printed on the back. Just sign it, get it notarized and you're done.

You may want to call your DMV. Here in nutland, we have to file a form with the DMV to release your name off the title. Of course this is California, home of paperwork.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom