What Was The Best Decade To Grow Up In?? (1 Viewer)

I'm glad I'm young...but in my heart I grew up in the 60's.

Sometimes I long for the 60s of my youth in small towns in Mississippi and Louisiana.

Everybody watched the same TV shows. There were only two channels.

A kid could get on a bike, say goodbye to mom and ride all over town all day long. Nobody worried about that. Everybody looked out for the kids.

Creeks were for swimming. It was a birthright. Nobody would dream of putting up a POSTED or NO TRESPASSING sign to keep the kids out.

Shoes were something kids wore during the school year. They got one pair that was too big at the start of the year and too small and worn out by the end of the year. A kid wearing shoes during the summer? For what?

Likewise, a kid's blue jeans started out the school year three sizes too big, with the legs rolled up into a wide cuff. By the end of the school year, they were worn out and too short, so they got cut off for summer wear.

If somebody got hurt or killed while doing something stupid, well, they did something stupid and it was their own fault. Lawsuits for such things were unheard of.

Traditional fishing holes and hunting grounds were maintained for the public and the poor. There were no elitist hunting and fishing "leases" for wealthy out-of-staters.

Everything was closed on Sunday...everything except the police station. Cops made regular patrols and would quickly shut down anybody who was disturbing the peace with a lawn mower or burning leaves.

You may think I'm kidding, but I can well recall three pews of us kids at church, all barefooted, all eagerly awaiting the dinner-on-the-grounds to follow the service. Sitting there, listening to the preacher while smelling all that delicious food was pure torture.

It's probably not a question of when but where.

Indeed.

Much of what DD speaks of was still prevalent in Spokane during the 80's.

anything pre-1987

Why?

Because growing up without the convenience of video games robs kids of the experience of imagination, making friends, and PLAYING OUTSIDE!

that, and there was a time there where at 12:00am, the TV was OFF! There was NOTHING on! (LMAO)

Heh. The Spokane stations stayed on 'till 2am and signed off with the national anthem.

Whatever the times are, Spokane is years behind them.

I am a child of the 80's and 90's, but my soul is a product of the 70's...

that's me. the 80s were a great time to a be a kid, but for some reason i've always been fascinated with the 70s

I am a Child of the 80s (meaning grew up, not born in, the 80s) and, IMO, the 80s were the best decade to come of age in. We had some of the best pop culture- movies like Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, A Christmas Story and all the John Hughes stuff; TV shows like Growing Pains, Who's The Boss?, Family Ties, and The A-Team and music, that while inferior to that of the 60s and 70s, saw the heydey of some great bands like Journey, Guns n Roses and Def Leoppard... Also, the 80s had just the right balance of innocence and technology- we still understood the concept of going outside to play, and using our imaginations- yet we also had Atari, Intellivision, arcade games and the advent of the home computer to keep us entertained. Plus, you could still ride your bike to the mall without being in too much danger, or go to school without being searched for weapons. So, being as objective as you can, which decade do ya'll think was the best to grow up in- and why??

Journey, Guns n Roses, and Def Leoppard???? You are a greenhorn chickenphuker, try some Warren Zevon on for size then talk to us...Who's the Boss? j/k but really check Warrren out. Oh, and I would be remiss if I did'nt remind you of the fact that prior generations lived in an AIDS-free world...har,har,har. 80's my asp. ;))

'70s and '80s, because you got to see "Star Wars" in theatres and before Lucas could screw it up, too.

Although '90s wouldn't be so bad, because that would mean you're just now becoming a young adult, and chicks these days are into teh freaky stuff.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom