What was the best Saints team ever? (2 Viewers)

What was the best Saints team ever?

• 2009, They got a ring end of story.

Votes: 98 54.7%
  • 2011, scorched the league and were robbed in the Playoffs. Offensive juggernaut.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • 2018 Best team in the league but had the infamous ref no call NFCCG

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • Other, any of the Dome Patrol teams.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tacos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
2009 and its not even remotely close.

2011 Offense turned the ball over 5 times against sanfran. 2011 Defense let Alex Smith destroy them. Clearly not the best team in franchise history.

2017, 2018, and 2019 teams all disappeared in the playoffs.

2009 wasn't the most talented roster the Saints have had under Payton, but there is no question... they were the best TEAM.

I voted 2011, but hard to disagree with Breesus. The 2009 team did win a Super Bowl. And we got the breaks that year, and at the end of the season, the team was healthy.

The 2018 and 2019 teams had too many injuries at the end.

The team that could have won a Super Bowl was the 2017 team. We were peaking at the right time--in large part because of the production of our rookie class.

I vote 2009 but not for the ring.

What the defense did was special. We may never see another defensive season like that. We could depend on turnovers every game. We've had better units as a whole but the 2009 defense always came through with a big play. That's just not something you are supposed to depend on, but we could.

The offense was top notch also. Even if it wasn't as crazy as the 2011 offense.

2011 Offense combined with 2013 Defense might be able to go undefeated. 2013 we had a top 5 overall defense. Just so happened that our offense wasn't at it's peak plus the Legion of Boom happened that season.

The only thing the 2009 team had over the 2011 team was Darren Sharper.

If you put an elite safety on that 2011 Saints defense... we would have been absolutely unbeatable that year.

But that one player makes all the difference. I know it's a running joke around here, "Does he play safety" but holy smokes man... you give us a top safety on this damn team and we might be on the verge of winning our 4th Super Bowl this year.

Look at what Minkah Fitzpatrick did for the Steelers this year alone. I cannot stress enough how vital the Free Safety position is to a team's success. Look at the jump Kansas City's defense made with Honey Badger as compared to last year.... it's remarkable.

So yeah, the answer is 2009 and Darren Sharper is the reason why, as sad as that is to say now unfortunately.

How were we "robbed" in 2011? San Fran just best us fair and square.

2009 is the best / most accomplished team, because of the obvious. 2018 was easily the most talented team, in my opinion. 2011 was the most exciting.

The only thing the 2009 team had over the 2011 team was Darren Sharper.

If you put an elite safety on that 2011 Saints defense... we would have been absolutely unbeatable that year.

But that one player makes all the difference. I know it's a running joke around here, "Does he play safety" but holy smokes man... you give us a top safety on this damn team and we might be on the verge of winning our 4th Super Bowl this year.

Look at what Minkah Fitzpatrick did for the Steelers this year alone. I cannot stress enough how vital the Free Safety position is to a team's success. Look at the jump Kansas City's defense made with Honey Badger as compared to last year.... it's remarkable.

So yeah, the answer is 2009 and Darren Sharper is the reason why, as sad as that is to say now unfortunately.
? agree. Great post. We are sorely missing great safety play imo.
How were we "robbed" in 2011? San Fran just best us fair and square.
I still think that dang hit that knocked Pierre out when we were about to open the game with a TD was illegal.
Mike Bell is one of the greatest under the radar signings the Saints ever made. That's when we had a true power run game.
As long as he has the right cleats on. Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom