What was the best Saints team ever? (2 Viewers)

What was the best Saints team ever?

• 2009, They got a ring end of story.

Votes: 98 54.7%
  • 2011, scorched the league and were robbed in the Playoffs. Offensive juggernaut.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • 2018 Best team in the league but had the infamous ref no call NFCCG

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • Other, any of the Dome Patrol teams.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tacos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ive gotten used to saying the 11 team was the best team. For a long time I believed that. But we have to stop with that. The 09 team didnt choke in the playoffs. Every Saints team before and after has. You cant be in the conversation if you dont have the trophy. When we win another SB, we can debate.

Im no LSU homer. But this years LSU team, I cant say Ive ever seen a better team. Theyll be in the conversation of best 3-5 teams of all time. But if they lost to Clemson in the NCCG, they arent mentioned, ever.

Right now only 1 Saints team has closed the deal. Until another one does, its 2009.

It’s def a good point. My opinion tho we were just stronger in 2011. It takes so much to go right and bounce your way to win it all, and we got all of those bounces in 2009.
Destiny does seem to play a part. Sometimes the ball always seems to bounce your way, other times you have to fight for everything. That’s how I feel about the last 2 years. It’s been a fight. As good as we’ve been, we just didn’t get the bounces and calls.

It’s def a good point. My opinion tho we were just stronger in 2011. It takes so much to go right and bounce your way to win it all, and we got all of those bounces in 2009.
I agree. Lots have to happen. I rewatched the OT vs the Vikings in 2009. Last year of “first team to score wins”. There were also 3 back-to-back-to-back calls that all went our way.

The sad thing is that the 2nd best team in history after 2009 was 2019. In 2018 we were gassed. We came 1 play from playing in the SB, but we were not capable of scoring 40 points.
In 2019 our A game would have beaten anybody (maybe the refs also... just maybe). We peaked at the right time, just to lay a huge egg. I will never get over this.

Part of playing in the nfc is their is too much power spread out to ever make it to the Sb consistently Amazing Seattle ever did it, which was only time a team went back to back since I dunno when I’m the nfc. Our strongest was 2011, even then we finished 13-3 so did Atl. NFC south has sent every team to the sb since 2000. Carolina twice.

let’s be honest, today that KC team is going to the sb much like how Patriots would due to lack of any real teams playing in the afc. It may end up becoming a habit as loaded as KC is already anyway. Imagine Saints in the AFC? Few teams would touch them in the playoffs compared to what’s in the NFC.

The sad thing is that the 2nd best team in history after 2009 was 2019. In 2018 we were gassed. We came 1 play from playing in the SB, but we were not capable of scoring 40 points.
In 2019 our A game would have beaten anybody (maybe the refs also... just maybe). We peaked at the right time, just to lay a huge egg. I will never get over this.
2018 > 2019 and the wildcard game validates that. The “second best team in Saints history” should not lose to the freaking 6th seed Vikings at home. They invalidated everything they did up to that point with that horrible game.

Last edited:
I think 2018 was our best team tbh. It took a drastic no call to stop us from the Super Bowl. Had the referees been competent, we beat NE in Atlanta and solidify our spot as the best Saints team ever.

Now we have to play the what if game for the rest of our lives.

I agree. Lots have to happen. I rewatched the OT vs the Vikings in 2009. Last year of “first team to score wins”. There were also 3 back-to-back-to-back calls that all went our way.

Yep. People forget just how much we got the bounces that game and year. Minny was the better team that game. We paid that piper this season. Funnily they were the better team two years ago too. Jumped out on us and dominated until the frantic comeback we made. Zimmer has Sean’s number. Made me laugh seeing all the posts of how easily we’d handle them. And that Mike would feast lol.

2018 > 2019 and the wildcard game validates that. The “second best team in Saints history” should not lost to the freaking 6th seed Vikings at home. They invalidated everything they did up to that point with that horrible game.

I think this team was our weakest contender. Be far.

I know the only team to get a ring was 2009 and that understandably will make them #1 in most of y’all’s eyes....but I think the 2011 team was our strongest.
What say you guys and gals?
2011 offense may have been peak Brees but defense was softer than 2009 team, so gonna go with 2009....

2009 was the only year our secondary was the reason we won (Porter, Greer, Sharper), as opposed to 2011, 2017, 2018, & 2019 when they gave up huge plays that cost us NFCCG & Super Bowl berths

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom