What was the greatest comedy of all time. (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about to the point where I don't even know why I post. Most of you seem so shallow and unknowegeable. That's just the way I see it. I could bring up everybody loves Raymond. Animal house. Stripes. Caddyshack. Foul play. Seems like old times. Who's on first by abbot and Costello
. Gallagher. George carlin. Rodney dangerfield. Hogan's heroes. Bosom buddies. I could go on and on. I know yall won't listen to me. All yall ever do is bash me. I am not an idiot. I have 2 college degrees. I have studied all kinds of subjects like science,. Yall keep dogging me. I am almost 58 years old. I have studied so many subjects. Whatever. I respect all of you but I know you don't respect me. I try to give my best analysis on everything I post but you don't listen. I know it's because I am a Christian and you don't respect that. I have lived a long time. I know so much in knowledge. I could name so much great music, comedies, sitcoms, and other great things. I know yall won't listen to me. Whatever. I have tried to be a great poster of knowledge on this board. All my experience and knowledge. But yall have shown you don't respect me in the slightest degree. I have a great deal of knowledge. It may not be what you think. But its just opinion. You disagree. I could say the same about your own opinions. I just don't understand why yall bash me. I count most of you as brothers. I don't understand why yall disrespect me like this. I respect yalls views. That's why I keep coming to this board. Whatever. I have learned yall don't like my posts. I won't promise I will never post again. But I now know you don't respect me.
oh boy
do you believe that you alone have knowledge about these matters
and what knowledge have you displayed - the most you done is made lists of things that you like and then added things that were similar to what you like - you have not come close in any of the 4-5 'greatest' threads of explaining/defending
why do you think we should take your opinion on faith?
also why do you consider your lists revelatory? all of your picks popular, top 40, broadly accepted top comedies
ie your 'knowledge' is common knowledge

it should also be noted that your knowledge seems lack perspective - your taste is overwhelmingly white, male and straight - none of that means it's bad per se - but it does not scream either breadth or depth of cultural curiosity
your tastes are the pedestrian tastes of a 16yr old kid who grew up in the suburbs who has had decades to broaden his cultural perspective and has chosen not to
does this help in understanding why we might chose not to post in awe of your knowledge?

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
as funny as Bad Santa?
Bad Santa was funny. Fargo. Loved Fargo.
I have no clue how a person picks the best comedy. I would need parameters, I would need a decade. Is it because it's quotable? Beverly Hills cop had so man great quotes that I still use today, same with Spaceballs.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bad Santa was funny. Fargo. Loved Fargo.
I have no clue how a person picks the best comedy. I would need parameters, I would need a decade. Is it because it's quotable? Beverly Hills cop had so man great quotes that I still use today, same with Spaceballs.
and herein lies the 'issue' with these types of threads
no one defines their terms in the OP

the paradox is that when someone does define their terms the thread might go a page and a half
when they leave it nebulous, the threads go on for pages and pages and pages

all of this is to say that Arthur is not the greatest comedy of all time

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mr. Woodcock. That movie is just hilarious.

I was an extra in that movie.. ive never seen it though.. i played a cop in a parade scene where Susan Sarandon is riding on a float(?) That’s all i remember.. Oh, and at one point i somehow wound up in the wrong place and held up the float from rolling, i looked up and Sarandon was giving me the death stare, like ‘You freaking moron, please get out of the way’…. Good times.

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
All of you that said Blazing Saddles, prepare to be cancelled.
I have heard multiple comedians and comedy actors/directors talk about how wokeness is ruining comedy.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
and herein lies the 'issue' with these types of threads
no one defines their terms in the OP

the paradox is that when someone does define their terms the thread might go a page and a half
when they leave it nebulous, the threads go on for pages and pages and pages

all of this is to say that Arthur is not the greatest comedy of all time

here I was thinking this is a really sensible post. These threads are just about conversation more than destination, etc…. And then you went too far. On the other hand

tenor.gif

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All of you that said Blazing Saddles, prepare to be cancelled.
I have heard multiple comedians and comedy actors/directors talk about how wokeness is ruining comedy.
and essentially all of it amounts to 'kids these days'
not much different than how they attacked sacred cows when they were young and up and coming

starts in at around the 6 minute mark - really gets going at 9:30

Seth Rogen saying similar things

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
and essentially all of it amounts to 'kids these days'
not much different than how they attacked sacred cows when they were young and up and coming

starts in at around the 6 minute mark - really gets going at 9:30

Seth Rogen saying similar things

Meh, its not about "jokes not aging well" its about censorship.
Too bad Patrice O'Neal is dead. Would love to have seen him debate Seth Rogan on this.

maybe NSFW even though this was a cable news broadcast.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Meh, its not about "jokes not aging well" its about censorship.
Too bad Patrice O'Neal is dead. Would love to have seen him debate Seth Rogan on this.

maybe NSFW even though this was a cable news broadcast.

on balance i would argue it's way more about consequence than censorship - like ACTUAL censorship
i'm not going to say censorship never happens, but i'd say it's more in the statistical realm of false rape claims - it exists, but nowhere near often enough to throw doubt on actual abuse

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom