What was the greatest comedy of all time. (1 Viewer)

Orange County is underrated IMO. But it’s mostly other cast than Joe Burrow IMO, even though I am a fan of some of his stuff. The mom and dad killed it in this. And Bob of course.

don’t think I would ever think of it in terms of best ever but it actually gets funnier with multiple viewings for me.

i would have to give Oh Brother Where art Though strong consideration.

if the answer wasn’t Arthur, I mean.

Orange County is underrated IMO. But it’s mostly other cast than Joe Burrow IMO, even though I am a fan of some of his stuff. The mom and dad killed it in this. And Bob of course.

don’t think I would ever think of it in terms of best ever but it actually gets funnier with multiple viewings for me.

i would have to give Oh Brother Where art Though strong consideration.

if the answer wasn’t Arthur, I mean.
Joe Burrow rocked in Orange County IMO

If Woody Allen had a part in a movie it wasn't funny.
I do agree he's scum in real life. That said, the segment starring Allen, Burt Reynolds and Tony Randall in Everything you wanted to know about sex is a classic. I'd post it,but this is a family forum. You can view it on youtube if you want.

I do agree he's scum in real life. That said, the segment starring Allen, Burt Reynolds and Tony Randall in Everything you wanted to know about sex is a classic. I'd post it,but this is a family forum. You can view it on youtube if you want.

I dont know what Woody Allen did, or didnt do.. and i dont really care.. to me, that’s between him, his family and the law…. I say all that, to say- and i dont know if anyone has mentioned it upthread- but ANNIE HALL might be the greatest comedy ever filmed.. it’s that good.. It was When Harry Met Sally, before When Harry Met Sally.. i only saw it for the first time 6 or 7 years ago, and have rewatched it since once or twice- there are a million quoatable lines that have entered the modern lexicon, and they come at you rapid-fire throughout the movie.. It’s so great.

To show my age.
It's a Mad Mad Mad World.
Jonathan Winters showed his comedy genius.

Jerry Lewis in the Geisha Boy.

Money Pit

Michael Keaton's Beetle Juice and Multiplicity
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World, If this is on, I'm watching. Truly splendid movie and THIS is when cameos were invented afaic.

The Life of Brian - Always look on the bright side of life. :)
The Pink Panther Series (does your dog bite?
Airplane! I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
Kentucky Fried Movie (Linda Chambers in her classic role.
Naked Gun - nice beaver
Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Animal House - "They even took the stuff we didn't steal!"
Johnny Dangerously - "It's an 88 magnum"
A Fish Called Wanda -
Young Frankenstein - Dr. - What knockers! Terri Garr- Vy tank you Doctor!
Blues Brothers (more of a Musical) Are you the police?" Elwood: No ma'am, we're musicians
CaddyShack - .... Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion.
Porky's (the Principal's office where they are discussing identifying the perp. is awesome)

I despised "Everybody loves Raymond" or Seinfield. It was almost all sarcasm.

... I give honorable mention to Stripes, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, and Ghostbusters.

Geez, I even forgot History of the World Part 1!

Mel Brooks is a comedy genius.
Men in Tights
Space Balls
Blazing Saddles
etc...
etc...
KFM, that was a groundbreaker.
Ditto that Mel is a genius!

Dogma is one of my favorites

I dont know what Woody Allen did, or didnt do.. and i dont really care.. to me, that’s between him, his family and the law…. I say all that, to say- and i dont know if anyone has mentioned it upthread- but ANNIE HALL might be the greatest comedy ever filmed.. it’s that good.. It was When Harry Met Sally, before When Harry Met Sally.. i only saw it for the first time 6 or 7 years ago, and have rewatched it since once or twice- there are a million quoatable lines that have entered the modern lexicon, and they come at you rapid-fire throughout the movie.. It’s so great.
Annie Hall is a legit great film
normally I would be inclined to consider separating artist from art
The problem allen is that he tried to use his art to justify his pedophilia - Manhattan is the most obvious with other minor examples sprinkled throughout
just incredibly bad cricket
and the you read Ronan farrows account of the abuse and it’s clear an asthetic/ethical/ moral line was crossed

Annie Hall is a legit great film
normally I would be inclined to consider separating artist from art
The problem allen is that he tried to use his art to justify his pedophilia - Manhattan is the most obvious with other minor examples sprinkled throughout
just incredibly bad cricket
and the you read Ronan farrows account of the abuse and it’s clear an asthetic/ethical/ moral line was crossed

No doubt that lines were crossed.. the obvious one is the ethical line in regards to Soon Yi.. i was listening to Jerry Seinfeld on Howard Stern a while back, Howard asked Jerry if he goes to therapy,.. Jerry said no, becuase “Look at Woody Allen; he’s the king of psychoanalysis , he had years and years of therapy - then one day he woke up and said ‘I think my stepdaughter looks hot, and I’m going to date her’- so i don’t believe in therapy”………. So that’s a problem, ethically…. Legally speaking, In re to the Ronan Farrow thing, I haven’t read up on it.. maybe that’s a good thing, since i could watch Annie Hall tomorrow, have a ton of laughs and there’s no conflict…. Does that mean that ignorance is bliss? Possibly…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm about to the point where I don't even know why I post. Most of you seem so shallow and unknowegeable. That's just the way I see it. I could bring up everybody loves Raymond. Animal house. Stripes. Caddyshack. Foul play. Seems like old times. Who's on first by abbot and Costello
. Gallagher. George carlin. Rodney dangerfield. Hogan's heroes. Bosom buddies. I could go on and on. I know yall won't listen to me. All yall ever do is bash me. I am not an idiot. I have 2 college degrees. I have studied all kinds of subjects like science,. Yall keep dogging me. I am almost 58 years old. I have studied so many subjects. Whatever. I respect all of you but I know you don't respect me. I try to give my best analysis on everything I post but you don't listen. I know it's because I am a Christian and you don't respect that. I have lived a long time. I know so much in knowledge. I could name so much great music, comedies, sitcoms, and other great things. I know yall won't listen to me. Whatever. I have tried to be a great poster of knowledge on this board. All my experience and knowledge. But yall have shown you don't respect me in the slightest degree. I have a great deal of knowledge. It may not be what you think. But its just opinion. You disagree. I could say the same about your own opinions. I just don't understand why yall bash me. I count most of you as brothers. I don't understand why yall disrespect me like this. I respect yalls views. That's why I keep coming to this board. Whatever. I have learned yall don't like my posts. I won't promise I will never post again. But I now know you don't respect me.

The title of the thread is “What was the greatest comedy of all time” yet you seem bothered that it’s not 100 replies agreeing that it’s Blazing Saddles

There are movies listed here that I personally don’t find funny at all but unless I missed it there wasn’t a single post in this thread dogging out anyone’s choice or even disagreeing with it

People are allowed to have a different opinion than you

And you post your opinion as if it is an absolute stone cold fact and react to anyone saying otherwise as an attack

“why do you all refuse to see the truth?!”

And the rest of this?

“how can you treat me like this? Don’t you know how smart I am? don’t you know the life I’ve lived? Don’t you know you’re not as good as I am? All I’ve ever tried to do is share my wisdom with you”

That’s some DadsDream level self victimizing right there

Last edited:
Well not sure if I am allowed to have an opinion on this post any longer other than agree with the OP, but...

Mr. Woodcock. That movie is just hilarious.

I'm about to the point where I don't even know why I post. Most of you seem so shallow and unknowegeable. That's just the way I see it. I could bring up everybody loves Raymond. Animal house. Stripes. Caddyshack. Foul play. Seems like old times. Who's on first by abbot and Costello
. Gallagher. George carlin. Rodney dangerfield. Hogan's heroes. Bosom buddies. I could go on and on. I know yall won't listen to me. All yall ever do is bash me. I am not an idiot. I have 2 college degrees. I have studied all kinds of subjects like science,. Yall keep dogging me. I am almost 58 years old. I have studied so many subjects. Whatever. I respect all of you but I know you don't respect me. I try to give my best analysis on everything I post but you don't listen. I know it's because I am a Christian and you don't respect that. I have lived a long time. I know so much in knowledge. I could name so much great music, comedies, sitcoms, and other great things. I know yall won't listen to me. Whatever. I have tried to be a great poster of knowledge on this board. All my experience and knowledge. But yall have shown you don't respect me in the slightest degree. I have a great deal of knowledge. It may not be what you think. But its just opinion. You disagree. I could say the same about your own opinions. I just don't understand why yall bash me. I count most of you as brothers. I don't understand why yall disrespect me like this. I respect yalls views. That's why I keep coming to this board. Whatever. I have learned yall don't like my posts. I won't promise I will never post again. But I now know you don't respect me.
oh boy
do you believe that you alone have knowledge about these matters
and what knowledge have you displayed - the most you done is made lists of things that you like and then added things that were similar to what you like - you have not come close in any of the 4-5 'greatest' threads of explaining/defending
why do you think we should take your opinion on faith?
also why do you consider your lists revelatory? all of your picks popular, top 40, broadly accepted top comedies
ie your 'knowledge' is common knowledge

it should also be noted that your knowledge seems lack perspective - your taste is overwhelmingly white, male and straight - none of that means it's bad per se - but it does not scream either breadth or depth of cultural curiosity
your tastes are the pedestrian tastes of a 16yr old kid who grew up in the suburbs who has had decades to broaden his cultural perspective and has chosen not to
does this help in understanding why we might chose not to post in awe of your knowledge?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom