What was your reaction when we Hired GW in 09 [Mod edit for clarity] (1 Viewer)

mountaineerdude

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
The reason I ask this question is that I truly believe that our window is closing with this current team with DREW BREES and company. I believe that its this year or never for this current team ..... BREES aint getting any younger, COLSTON and MOORE are kissing their 30s and so is JAHRI EVANS and our offense is our security blanket ..... Defense is a big question mark but it cant get any worse than 2012 ... It can only go up from here .....

No reaction. Seemed to me that SP wanted to distance himself from the D, which he did, by hiring GW. That freed up SP to work on the O. Only big difference was Sharper. He made all the difference, not GW.

Without a Sharper, it was just another average D.

I was elated when GW was fired...optimistic when he was hired. I agree Sharper was the difference...not GW.

I was happy and Sean taking a pay cut seemed to mean that Gregg was guaranteed to be a top guy. And so he was in 09.

I thought Superbowl and that's what we got. GW did more with that talent then anyone else could have. He was the king of smoke and mirrors. As for as a defensive coach, I think he's the best. Put him with a talented defense and look out. I really don't blame GW for the SF loss. He tried. A coach like Spags would have went prevent and we'd have seen the same results with no pass rush. Problem is talent evaluation. I hate how he sold out his players and I hate the crap that came out of his mouth but he is one heck of a motivater.

I was elated when we hired him and he was easily the guy I wanted most. Knew that day we were going to do something special. Sharper wasn't the only thing that turned our defense around that season, GW's scheme has worked well in a lot of different places and he has been known to be extremely flexible based on the players he has and that is the kind of guy you want to run a unit to compliment our offense. His defenses were never great but it was just what the doctor ordered.

I don't feel the same way about Rob Ryan but with the scheme change and getting guys like Martez, Junior and some of our other young players on the field I think it will bring us another Super Bowl.

I feel like Rob Ryan is a great teacher and a guy that will bring intensity and effort to the defense, something we really lacked last season. The scheme change will put better players on the field and the 34 is a better defense than the 43 in the NFL. The combination of those things should be enough to put our defense up around the middle of the pack which is good enough to win a Lombardi with Brees at the helm.

I love the revisionist history
After every single press conference, scores of posters claimed they would run through a brick wall for GW
now, of course, he's being marginalized - which is fine but people should be honest with the way they used to feel about him

I definitely loved the hire. I cant blame him for the 49er game after the turnovers that we had on offense. turnovers kill you, especially against good teams. I did think it was time to move on though because there seemed to be some tension.

I definitely like the rob ryan hire. I think he instantly puts the defense back in the middle of the pack.

I was concerned about GG's aggressive, hard-driving style both on the field and on the sidelines. Most of the players played hard for him, so my fears were misplaced.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom