What was your reaction when we Hired GW in 09 [Mod edit for clarity] (1 Viewer)

I was excited, payton didn't just bring his friend in (gary gibbs) and got one of the better coaches , even though he didn't know him well. we got a superbowl, but don't under estimate sharper on the field

Pumped. I predicted SB in August 2009. And i had never predicted a Saints SB. Later, I also predicted Manning would outplay Brees in the SB.

GW is a turnaround guy. He get's his players to buy into his system. He gives them the ability to freelance a bit to their best abilities and play real physical football. He develops a swagger and he has one basic play, "Kill the QB -" even if a RB rips off a 25 yd gain. Players really really like that style.

BTW: I was also very glad to see him go when he did.

I was elated when we hired him and he was easily the guy I wanted most. Knew that day we were going to do something special. Sharper wasn't the only thing that turned our defense around that season, GW's scheme has worked well in a lot of different places and he has been known to be extremely flexible based on the players he has and that is the kind of guy you want to run a unit to compliment our offense. His defenses were never great but it was just what the doctor ordered.

I don't feel the same way about Rob Ryan but with the scheme change and getting guys like Martez, Junior and some of our other young players on the field I think it will bring us another Super Bowl.

I feel like Rob Ryan is a great teacher and a guy that will bring intensity and effort to the defense, something we really lacked last season. The scheme change will put better players on the field and the 34 is a better defense than the 43 in the NFL. The combination of those things should be enough to put our defense up around the middle of the pack which is good enough to win a Lombardi with Brees at the helm.

I agree. I loved GW as a coach, from both a schematic and emotional standpoint. As a motivator and a coach, he was able to get the most out of his players. His players went to war for him, and wanted to fight for him on every single down. Obviously, my viewpoint on Gregg has changed, but it doesn't change the fact that he is one hell of a defensive coordinator.

I do get a little excited about Ryan coaching our defense this year. Why? Because he brings some of the same qualities that Gregg brought with him, hopefully minus the headache he caused us. He's known to have an aggressive, attacking style of defense while playing a lot of man to man coverage. Players love to play for him. That's what we need. We need a coach who is going to create an entire unit that will go to battle for him on every down.

I liked Spags, but I never got that feeling when watching our games. There was a bond between our players and Gregg for the 3 years that he was here, and it showed on the field. In 2012, for whatever reason, that wasn't the case. It didn't seem like guys rallied around Spags. I wish Spags well, but I'm really excited about Ryan.

Schematics aside, I think Ryan will be able to really unite this defense and bring it together. It should be fun to watch.

I was pretty stoked. I thought it was be finally our year. All we needed was an okay defense. So I'm hoping the same result with the Rob Ryan hire.

I had been wanting GW for some time. He had been a available once or twice before we hired him and I was tracking him for a bit. Same with Sharper. Was tracking for a few years before we actually snagged him.

RR? Not a fan, but have to admit that when Dallas got him, I thought that was a good move for them, and when they fired him I thought it was a mistake.

I was elated when GW was fired...optimistic when he was hired. I agree Sharper was the difference...not GW.

Didn't we get Sharper after we got GW? And because GW needed a Safety to run the defense? So we got Sharper because of GW so GW has to get some credit for that.

I wanted to see what my opinion was then, but I guess I never posted in that thread.

I think I was excited. I wanted someone aggressive who'd help bring a pass rush and turnovers. That first year was perfect. Then, we were technically better on defense, but didn't have the splash plays.

The same elation I had for Spags :covri:

With the hiring of GW i was very very happy and excited. But with the hiring of Spags and RR i have no clue what to say....:covri:

Super Bowl.

I remember telling the cab driver that night. "We are going to win the Super Bowl." I'm sure the alcohol played a factor, but I was ecstatic to say the least.

Didn't we get Sharper after we got GW? And because GW needed a Safety to run the defense? So we got Sharper because of GW so GW has to get some credit for that.

There's some truth to that. As I stated, though...I was optimistic when we hired GW. I thought we had finally found the missing piece we needed. He was a KEY element to our Super Bowl. So was Mr Sharper. IMO, Sharper's ability and "something to prove" mentality was huge that year. I still think Darren Sharper made GW's system work as an agressive D (i.e. IMO, greater impact).

When we got rid of GW, I was elated as I felt his style/scheme were no longer successful with the bodies we had on the ground and that he was HIGHLY predictable, and subsequently exploited.

My .02 and worth every penny.

After all the water under the Williams bridge, this thread makes me wonder what the Titans fans are thinking about him now. Hmmmmm... :scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom