What we can learn from the Patriots' success (1 Viewer)

#1 Build through the draft.

As much as they have built through the draft, they would not be in position to go undefeated for the season had they not made a HUGE splash in free agency last year (Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Adalius Thomas). You have to take advantage of free agency too.

Uhh, excuse me, have you all forgotten? The reason they're successful is because they have Donte Stallworth.

Yes, you do have to build through the draft. Look at the Colts: All of their starters are homegrown talent. Chargers are mostly their own. Pats: Did a great job of drafting, but not entirely, but people want to come and play for them. Moss takes a paycut, Brady takes a paycut to stay, Adalius Thomas wanted to come. Seau comes out of retirement.

As much as they have built through the draft, they would not be in position to go undefeated for the season had they not made a HUGE splash in free agency last year (Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Adalius Thomas). You have to take advantage of free agency too.
That's one year. What about the other Super Bowl winning years?

That's one year. What about the other Super Bowl winning years?

Just one year, huh? I don't know about you, but I'd take the most successful year of any NFL franchise ever.

Besides, they've always done a good job of bringing in free agents. Look at Junior Seau, Roosevelt Colvin, Corey Dillon, Jabar Gaffney, Kyle Brady, Rodney Harrison, Heath Evans, Antowain Smith, Those are all players that were major cogs before this year. True they've done a great job drafting, but they've also been very active in free agency. In the case of the Saints they need to be even more active in free agency, since it seems as though this past draft last year was a bust overall.

The best way to describe the Patriots is opportunistic. I don't think you can approach the draft or free agency locked in to players or positions you have to take. You make a plan, and see how things play out. I'm sure Patriots fans didn't think that Randy Moss would be on their team this time last year.

You have to use the draft as well as free agency. It's not just one or the other.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom