What will it take for the season to be called (1 Viewer)

4saintspirit

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
a success. Now that we are 5-1 the bandwagon has grown to the point where everyone is now saying anything less than a playoff would be a dissapointment. Personally I think other things would make the season a success. Here is my qualifications for a successful season -- Anyone else care to chime in?

I am less concerned about our overall record from here until the end of the season. Here is what I want to see the rest of the year

A team that never quits -- that plays hard every down
A team that plays as a team even under adverse conditions
A team that plays with discipline, heart and passion
A continued display of leadership by Drew Brees
A continued display of coaching techniques
I want to leave the season with a renewed sense of hope not a false one

I guess what I am saying is the same team I saw in the first 6 games -- No matter what the final record is I feel we have been successful. I like the teamwork I see.

Congratulations Saints -- you have given me the feeling we are moving in the right direction -- now go out and kick some raven butt

I would agree with you. This season has been such a surprise that at this point, I'm pretty satisfied. As long as they stay competative they could go 8-8 and I'd be happy.

Next year though, now that we know they have it in them, nothing short of playoffs will suffice.

I think that by the ways that you are measuring success in your post, we truly are successful. I also believe that we must become the N.E. Pats of this era, in order to garner any long time respect. I mean we must become the "New" New Orleans Saints. I believe that we are on our way to achieveing that. That we are on the cusp of one of the most uplifting times in the history of any New Orleans Saints Fan. I feel like I'm in the Matrix or something, just trying to keep my cool & not let our current success go to my head.

a success. Now that we are 5-1 the bandwagon has grown to the point where everyone is now saying anything less than a playoff would be a dissapointment. Personally I think other things would make the season a success. Here is my qualifications for a successful season -- Anyone else care to chime in?

I am less concerned about our overall record from here until the end of the season. Here is what I want to see the rest of the year

A team that never quits -- that plays hard every down
A team that plays as a team even under adverse conditions
A team that plays with discipline, heart and passion
A continued display of leadership by Drew Brees
A continued display of coaching techniques
I want to leave the season with a renewed sense of hope not a false one

I guess what I am saying is the same team I saw in the first 6 games -- No matter what the final record is I feel we have been successful. I like the teamwork I see.

Congratulations Saints -- you have given me the feeling we are moving in the right direction -- now go out and kick some raven butt

Well the thing is, if we do all the things you listed we will make the playoffs. If we somehow miss the playoffs it will be because we didn't do the things you listed.

So basically to simplify it, Playoffs = successful season this year with the way we've started. It would take an utter meltdown for us to not make it.

as long as they play hard with heart and intelligence i will be happy. I just don't want to see any melt down. The Atl and Philli games have already made the season for me. everything else is lagniappe

When the season started all I wanted the team to be in every game fighting to the end. I've gotten that and the team has gone 5-1 in the process. As long as they keep playing the way they have been, I'll be satisfied.

In my book, this year has been a success already. I now am a bit 'greedy' and hope that we can reach the playoffs and that would be an unbelievable end to a tremendous season. I know also that we are going to at some point hit some rough spots and with our remaining schedule will lose some games. If that hapens I am going to give Coach Payton and GM Loomis the benefit of the doubt, even if they hit some rough times.
I have been around like so many since day one in 1967 and I can honestly say that I do see light at the end of the tunnel - and I don't think it is a train!

It'a amazing what good coaching can accomplish in such a short time. It has been said that the talent among the players in the NFL is approximately even and that it is coaching that makes the difference.

In my book, this year has been a success already. I now am a bit 'greedy' and hope that we can reach the playoffs and that would be an unbelievable end to a tremendous season. I know also that we are going to at some point hit some rough spots and with our remaining schedule will lose some games. If that hapens I am going to give Coach Payton and GM Loomis the benefit of the doubt, even if they hit some rough times.
I have been around like so many since day one in 1967 and I can honestly say that I do see light at the end of the tunnel - and I don't think it is a train!

Interesting question. Relatively speaking, I would have been happy with a 6-8 win season--and I still would.

But I think this team has raised the bar already.

It's going to be real, real interesting to see this team lose a few games; I'm interested to see how coach Payton and the players react.

One of the criticisms of Haslett's teams is that they didn't know how to handle success and that the team was relegated to mediocrity.

Winning five games only to really collapse would be disappointing, and raise questions which resurfaced during the Haslett regime.

Even if the Saints don't reach the playoffs, I don't want see blowouts--I want to see losses like the Carolina game. I want to see the Saints playing sound, smart, fundamental football lose (when they lose) to a team which simply plays better.

The Haslett teams more often than not just beat themselves and played really inconsistent football.

In short, I want to see more of the same, even if the Saints lose a few more games.

When there were more questions about the players and coaches, a competitive season such as we're having would have sufficed.

But, they've proven they have the ingredients to achieve something THIS year, so with that said, nothing short of the NFC Championship Game will satisfy me.

I was one of those pessimistic 6-10'ers before the season started too. But at this point, I would be disappointed with less than 9 wins. I know about style of play and everything, and we have some tough teams on the schedule, but we also have some easy ones too. We should beat Washington and Dallas - we are simply better football teams than them. We should also get at least one more division win, and get one win out of the rest of the AFC North, which gets us to 9 wins. Personally I think it is not unrealistic for us go to 4-2 in the division, with our only remaining loss to either Carolina or Atlanta. Losing at Tampa would be a Haslett-era type loss. Their O is not that good and we should not make the mistakes on defense that Philly did.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom