What will Saints identity going forward will be? (1 Viewer)

Gentilly504

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Should it be defense or offense? I was going back and forth with this but I think going forward they should go back to the 2009-2011 identity. With the big change this team will face, I think going all out on offense and having bend but don’t break defense is the way to go.

We aren't built for that. As currently constructed , we can run the ball , and play solid defense.

Any new QB coming into our system will be much having that as a foundation.

You would first need a quarterback to go offense. I think our idenity should remain what it us now just find a qb that can control the game and throw the ball.

Should it be defense or offense? I was going back and forth with this but I think going forward they should go back to the 2009-2011 identity. With the big change this team will face, I think going all out on offense and having bend but don’t break defense is the way to go.
Why on earth would anyone PLAN to be “bend but don’t break”?

Thats like a best case goal for a sub par defense.

Who knows what Payton will do but the best year in there was 2009 when we could run the ball and got a lot of turnovers, and then Brees would kill you.

A proven formula is focus on the OL and DL. Get that right and then it depends your QB. If you had a Brees I like what the Packers do. Run the ball. Stop the Run. Take the kill shots through the air.

If you have a more average QB who needs to be restricted to more of a game manager role then we should look like we did under Bridgewater. That was some of Payton’s best work.

I say keep focusing on defense and the OL. With either Taysom or Winston or a new QB at the helm we can succeed.

A Sean Payton team will always have an offensive identity. What QBs are left in the playoffs? Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Allen. We need a great quarterback. If he isn’t in the building now, we need to start finding him.

Balanced with the ability to adapt to the other team's gameplan. SP will always be a offense first coach and that's perfect for how the league has been trending.

Can we clone Devin White? Can we find a young one cut and go RB to compliment Kamara? If the QB is anyone other than Brees can we find a WR to stretch the field? Harris is lightning in the bottle, but he's not a full time WR. We need a durable sub 4.40 WR for that role. We need a TE to compliment Trautman with Trautman becoming the all around every down TE, a move TE would be nice. Bring Dan Arnold back now that he has another year of development as a TE with a lot of playing time. I don't know where Arnold is in reference to his weight, but think Robert Tonyan for Arnold in a year or two.

If Payton is the HC then we will be an offense first team. I mean how many times have we had the number one offense in the league vs the number on defense? It Sean Payton for goodness sake.
So teams in the NFL have 16 yrs of film on a Drew led Payton offense. Now you just erased 16 yrs of identified weaknesses and tendencies.
Payton now gets to recast the offense in whatever way he wants and teams have nothing to go by. Who will want to open the 2021 season vs a Payton offense they've never see before?

You would first need a quarterback to go offense. I think our idenity should remain what it us now just find a qb that can control the game and throw the ball.
i think SP would prefer to go back into attack mode with offense - game manager puts too much pressure on the defense
if harris continues to develop as a downfield threat (and bulks up a bit to stay healthy) and Trautman can be the seam buster that JG was, the you pretty much have all 9 routes/full field back on the menu - then the offense gets to dictate the flow of the game again

Its going to be some changes, but the Sean Payton lead Saints Team is going to look the same way its always looked, just with some new faces. We may take a step back next year because we may be relying on younger cheaper players as our core players will be resigned (Lattimore, Ram, Rankins).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom