Question What will/should Saints QB look like in 2023 and beyond based on this season’s progression? (1 Viewer)

What will/should QB look like in 2023 and beyond?

• Winston will adjust & progress into the franchise QB; hire new OC

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Select the QB of the future with the *Payton trade’s top 25 pick (A. Richardson/KJ Jefferson)

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Trade 4 1sts/3 2nds/future 3rds to select Bryce Young or CJ Stroud

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Draft QB in ‘23 2nd rd (M. Penix/D. Leary) and wait for Arch Manning in 2026

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Draft QB in 2024 1st round (Ewers/Caleb Williams/Sheduer Sanders) while JW plays outs contract

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Trade 3+ 1sts & 2 2nds for Lamar Jackson in the offseason

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Sign Jimmy Garoppolo in ‘23 as backup and bridge QB

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Trade for Tannehill or Cousins to contend until Arch Manning is drafted in 2026

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Trade a 1st and 2nd for Justin Fields in ‘23

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Lamar Jackson. That man will follow the money. Unfortunately, we will have to back up the Brinks/Loomis/Garda truck. I only say that if Jameis isn’t here and we have little to no draft capital to select a QB early. This could all change when we get picks for SP though. I’d love to get Stroud out of OSU though.
Baltimore may not not want to pay him 300 mil guranteed but they're not letting him go.

I don't want to pay him 300M guaranteed either...That's a lot of freaking money
Well, Watson got 230 with all his baggage. They're billionaires not like us. Do you think that's unreasonable given where the market is heading?
Outside of Jackson, the only other star vet QBs that would be upgrades and might be available are Tannehill and Cousins. That likely depends on if Tennessee and Minnesota drafts a QB in the 1st.
Bridge QBs. Tannehill is safe until Willis learns the offense and I think Minnesota drafted the kid from A&M a couple of years ago.

Ride with Winston this year, hope the light comes on. If not, next year, lots of wildcat and QB/HB run formations, but throw out of it more than Baltimore does. Find another Y/F/so-so QB "new guy" and mix it up with Kamara, Hill and "new guy" - probably can get that "new guy" in the second round.

We're in trouble. We should hope Winston can stabilize us for a couple of years because getting in the top 5 to gamble on the next Zach Wilson or Trey Lance is going to get people fired, and I don't see Allen lasting more than a couple years on our current trajectory.

^^^^All of this, someone in SF is going to get fired over the Lance screwup....AND.....I'm not sure the GMs in Denver and Cleveland survive their splurges for "Franchise QB"

I voted play through '24 and get QB then....but I also can see us with a Justin Fields or Jordan Love type restoration if we're unable to get a guy in the draft.

That’s why I don’t think the “pull Winston “ crowd realizes everything that comes with it for the future. If Winston’s benched just in week 3-4, the coaches are turning the page on him for next season.
He’d still be under contract for ‘23. But benching after 3 games instantly sends a message from Allen & FO that Winston isn’t the starting QB in ‘23 and they’d have to go aggressive for a new QB. Going back and forth with starting a QB rarely works in the pros for that QB to succeed and for the locker room

Ride with Winston this year, hope the light comes on. If not, next year, lots of wildcat and QB/HB run formations, but throw out of it more than Baltimore does. Find another Y/F/so-so QB "new guy" and mix it up with Kamara, Hill and "new guy" - probably can get that "new guy" in the second round.
I think we might be able to get the new guy in the 2nd................or.........trade again to move up to the first if a guy slips. I'm kinda worn on all the Draft day trading, but if QB doesn't pan out this season, we're a QB away from being a contender, this is still a damn good Roster. Either we, find out how to cut out the mental lapses, i.e. 3rd and 3 from the 12 - was a killer...and become a contender this year or we replace him through the draft & cast off FA pt 2.

If we want to keep running this same old short pass offense, bring my man Teddy B back, if you want to try something completely new go w/ Cooper Rush(can't believe I'm joining the 2 game hypetrain), Darnold, D. Jones or J. Love ...either can get you through a couple seasons while you wait for a guy to fall in your lap. This is of course, JW completely flames out, and I'm not fully sold on our struggles being > 50% his fault.

Well, Watson got 230 with all his baggage. They're billionaires not like us. Do you think that's unreasonable given where the market is heading?

Bridge QBs. Tannehill is safe until Willis learns the offense and I think Minnesota drafted the kid from A&M a couple of years ago.
Vikings waived Mond from A&M and got picked up by Cleveland so they’ll probably have to draft QB in the first. I seen a couple mocks have Hooker going to Titans while they already have Willis. I can see the Vikings selecting him as their future QB in the 14-18 range.

Last edited:
I feel like the QB Rankings are going to change drastically by the end of this season.
They're changing right now. Nobody mentioned Hooker by the start of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Will Rogers starts to trend up.

I think we might be able to get the new guy in the 2nd................or.........trade again to move up to the first if a guy slips. I'm kinda worn on all the Draft day trading, but if QB doesn't pan out this season, we're a QB away from being a contender, this is still a damn good Roster. Either we, find out how to cut out the mental lapses, i.e. 3rd and 3 from the 12 - was a killer...and become a contender this year or we replace him through the draft & cast off FA pt 2.

If we want to keep running this same old short pass offense, bring my man Teddy B back, if you want to try something completely new go w/ Cooper Rush(can't believe I'm joining the 2 game hypetrain), Darnold, D. Jones or J. Love ...either can get you through a couple seasons while you wait for a guy to fall in your lap. This is of course, JW completely flames out, and I'm not fully sold on our struggles being > 50% his fault.
Thing is, a lot of folks will want a classic high quality pocket passer à la Herbert (not Hébert). The problem with that is, lack of draft capital plus the years of QB education to make that work.

But getting a second Hill-type player might be easier; however, it requires taking a leap of faith to run a Baltimore-type offense. But that might be suited to our OL, especially Penning, who PFF at least thought was a top run blocker already in his first NFL experience in preseason. We'll have to see how the Saints D does against a legit offense when they show up later on the schedule. But with 11 quarters of no offense and appalling special teams play, the D has looked fairly good. A complementary Baltimore-style offense could really work near term.

Thing is, a lot of folks will want a classic high quality pocket passer a la Herbert. The problem with that is, lack of draft capital plus the years of QB education to make that work.

But getting a second Hill-type player might be easier; however, it requires taking a leap of faith to run a Baltimore-type offense. But that might be suited to our OL, especially Penning, who PFF at least thought was a top run blocker already in his first NFL experience in preseason. We'll have to see how the Saints D does against a legit offense when they show up later on the schedule. But with 11 quarters of no offense and appalling special teams play, the D has looked fairly good. A complementary Baltimore-style offense could really work near term.
I don't want to shrink the O down that much...we have too many playmakers on O and shrinking the O down that much will just p them off and make them want to leave....leaving us to have to start over by the time we're ready to open the O back up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom