By John Hendrix - Sports Illustrated
The New Orleans Saints and Alvin Kamara have been a great pairing for several seasons, but the bill is coming due for his next deal after the 2020 season. The Saints have shown that they aren't afraid to commit to players financially, most notably and recently Michael Thomas. However, they've demonstrated a willingness to reward and take care of their own through players like Cam Jordan, Drew Brees, and a host of others.
There's been a lot of thoughts regarding his future with the black and gold, and we even discussed those recently through a roundtable. So, what would a new contract look like for Kamara?
The Case for Paying Kamara - A Player's Resume
- 2019 Stats: 14 games played, 171 carries for 797 rushing yards (4.7 YPC), 5 rushing TDs, 81 receptions on 97 targets for 533 yards (6.6 YPC), 1 receiving TD, 1,330 total yards
- Pro Football Focus Grade: 70.0 overall in 2019, Total: 81.4
- Approximate Value: 15 (2017), 16 (2018), 12 (2019)
- Career Stats: 45 games played, 485 carries for 2,408 rushing yards (5.0 YPC), 27 rushing TDs, 243 receptions on 302 targets for 2,068 yards (8.5 YPC), 10 receiving TDs, 4,476 total yards from scrimmage, 1 kick return TD
- Injury Summary: Showed signs of not being 100 percent in 2019, but missed just two games in the season. It was later reveal that there were some nagging ankle and knee issues. In 2018, Kamara was healthy, but rested in the season finale for Week 17. Kamara was knocked out of the Falcons road game in 2017, but even though he sustained a concussion, he didn't miss a game.
- Accolades: Three Pro Bowl selections in each of his seasons, 2017 Second-team All-Pro, 2017 Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year, 2017 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, 2017 PFWA All-Rookie Team (2017) ...
Full Story - si.com