what would happen if we pegged rent? (2 Viewers)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
so rule of thumb seems to be that rent should be 25% of gross salary

what would happen if we pegged that? made it so that rent was "controlled" at 25%? (the % isn't important, but more the idea of 'fixing' it)

i think i can anticipate some of the "why nots" but I'm interested to hear the arguments pro/con

B4YOU

All-Pro
Reaction score
”That’s what taxi cabs are for“ would be an argument someone might use if they didnt like Uber and Lyft.

I’m not saying there shouldn’t be areas where STR’s are permitted, and areas where STRs arent permitted.. perhaps that is a solution, and is already the case in some areas.

I agree with what Dave said above, I’m just not sure that it would make too much of a difference.. i think all it would do is put a lot of realtors out of business, or force them to subsist on much, much less.
I don’t think the taxi cab comparison works. Most cab systems were monopolies or commissions with set prices and every car was similar. Hotels are actively competing with each, boutiques, and traditional owner occupied B&Bs. Plus, Uber/Lyft have their own labor issues.

I’m not suggesting ending the long term rental of SFH. But it’s bad for communities to have SFH tied up vacant for 2/3 of the year while housing becomes further out of reach for its residents. I’m open to green and red zones for STR of SFH. Seasonal beach communities are a good example of those green areas. Good zoning contributes to good communities. Not every business with a license needs to operate in perpetuity.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Heck i live in the woods of Bastrop County. Property has boomed big time. In 2014 bought 6 acres 29,500 cash. Put a small house cash for 60 something cash. Now it has a tax value of slightly above 300K
I've been wanting to buy land to the west in Jonestown, or thereabouts for 6 or 7 years now for recreation. Ideally enough land and separation to build a berm for a private shooting range, and to have a small off-road course for the Jeep.

I'm afraid to see what prices are now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom