What would it take for Payton to rejoin the Saints? (1 Viewer)

There's not a realistic scenario in which he ends up back here in the immediate future.

Long shot is that he returns back here in many years in a Gibbs-type manner at the end of his career, but probably not.
Someone get the man a Nascar team to keep him busy for 10 years.

Time travel time machine GIF on GIFER - by Cozar

I know this is a long shot, but if he's willing to coach again in a year or two (assuming DA is no longer the coach), what would it take for him to rejoin the Saints?
I believe the Dolphins were willing to pay him 20+ million/year. Would that be his asking price?
What would it take? the Saints not being the Saints.

A time machine and CSP’s desire to use it. Both of which are non existent.
If there was a time machine I'm sure he would use it, but prob just to get with some floozy from his past.

I think this was always going to be the case… he was burnt out, but at some point the itch will come again.

He is not coming back. The Saints are not going to part ways with Allen after one or two years, and Payton would not want to be responsible for the firing of the coach he obviously recommended to be his successor. Also, I think Payton wants to coach for a high-profile team in a bigger market to help his chances of HOF admission one day.

He may have needed a break--but the reason last year was so challenging was that he did not have a quarterback. In New Orleans, he was able to check off every box for an organization--except having a top-tier quarterback.
And why couldnt he just get a qb and stay in new orleans. There are things called trades, drafts, and free agents.

Yeah I do believe that if we had Maholmes or even Watson, I don't think he would have retired. It just goes to show you that Franchise QBs don't grow on trees.
neither does dedication and commitment. Let the door hit him.....

neither does dedication and commitment. Let the door hit him.....
I do understand. He can get away with it to an extent, but it was obvious that he wasn't going to stick around for a rebuild. Watching things now is a disaster.

I do understand. He can get away with it to an extent, but it was obvious that he wasn't going to stick around for a rebuild. Watching things now is a disaster.
I have no choice but to believe that Payton saw what was coming this season. He did what he needed to do to keep his stock high in the coaching market.

I have no choice but to believe that Payton saw what was coming this season. He did what he needed to do to keep his stock high in the coaching market.
Good point. Get out while you can. We just happen to be on the short end of the stick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom