What would it take for the Saints to lock up Nick Fairley? (1 Viewer)

mrwhodat

Saintiac
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Info on the DT caps in 2017 too.

What would it take for the Saints to lock up Nick Fairley?

Of the highest paid defense tackles heading 2017, only the Bengals’ Geno Atkins and the Bucs’ Gerald McCoy have more sacks than Fairley, while he’s currently tied with Fletcher Cox. The average cap hit from the Top 15 defensive lineman would be $10.88 million for 2017. Flirting with a franchise tag for Fairley would be around $14 million, and it would essentially cripple the team’s salary cap. Naturally, it’s not a death sentence, but it’s not ideal either.

daredevil1-998x699.jpg

More dead money in the next few years?

We will keep him but I hope his production is at least close to what we had this year and he doesnt just go into relax mode. It could happen. We wont know until next year.

I believe Fairley wants to play here as he is from the Gulf Coast, so he is close to home. He has excelled here. I think our system fits him.

That said, i hope Loomis doesnt play stupid with him. Give him a nice extension with bonuses that is incentive laden and offer him a fair number....I think he signs.

If he is looking to get paid the most possible money and paid like i top DT. Then i think the Saints need to let him walk.

It was smart to sign Fairley to a 'prove it' deal

He's now going to be looking for top dollar. Unless there is little market interest we should let him walk after drafting Rankins

Fairly has been a beast this year, but I think we can use that money for a FA edge rusher and count on Rankins to take it to the next level next year.

I would imagine his assent to a contract offer from the Saints followed by his signing said contract.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom