What would the Saints have to do... (1 Viewer)

win out , for 1st seed would have to have DA bears lose 3more games

win out , for 1st seed would have to have DA bears lose 3more games

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, if the Saints won out, the Bears would only have to lose two more games -- since all of their remaining games are against NFC teams -- and that would leave the Saints with the better conference record.

Not that I expect it to play out that way.

someone posted this earlier

Saints (7-4)
To clinch home-field advantage: Must win at least three games AND Bears must lose out.

To clinch division title: Must win one more than Panthers.

To clinch playoff berth: Must win at least four games.

REMAINING SCHEDULE:
Dec. 3 vs 49ers, 1 p.m.
Dec. 10 at Cowboys, 1 p.m.
Dec. 17 vs Redskins, 1 p.m.
Dec. 24 at Giants, 1 p.m.
Dec. 31 vs Panthers, 1 p.m.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, if the Saints won out, the Bears would only have to lose two more games -- since all of their remaining games are against NFC teams -- and that would leave the Saints with the better conference record.

Not that I expect it to play out that way.

good call you are right:0030:

Saints (7-4)
To clinch home-field advantage: Must win at least three games AND Bears must lose out.

This isn't accurate. This scenario doesn't take into account Seattle and Dallas, either/both of which could finish with better records than the Saints given the above scenario of only winning 3 more games.

Also, the Saints don't necessarily have to win one more than Carolina to take the division.

This isn't accurate. This scenario doesn't take into account Seattle and Dallas, either/both of which could finish with better records than the Saints given the above scenario of only winning 3 more games.

Also, the Saints don't necessarily have to win one more than Carolina to take the division.

Seeing how we virtually own all the tiebreakers against any team in the NFC by virtue of our Conference record (only one left is head to head vs. Cowboys), if we end up tied with the Bears we get homefield because of a better conference record since in order for the Bears to lose they would have to lose against NFC opponents. Its a hard order,but if we win out we will have taken care of our end of the bargain.

Let's just win em all and let the chips fall as they may...

I like your answer, CoolBrees1.
It's the part of the equation WE can control... More importantly, if we get on a roll again starting Sunday, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we can run the table.

Each of our last 5 are very winnable when we play "Saints" ball: High Octane O, No O turnovers, sound D, and sound special teams.

Seeing how we virtually own all the tiebreakers against any team in the NFC by virtue of our Conference record (only one left is head to head vs. Cowboys), if we end up tied with the Bears we get homefield because of a better conference record since in order for the Bears to lose they would have to lose against NFC opponents. Its a hard order,but if we win out we will have taken care of our end of the bargain.

Everyone of our last 5 games is against NFC teams.

I did the math and this is what I see as the quickest way to clinch-

We can get the berth in as little as 2 weeks:
Saints win the next two
Atl- needs to lose to the Redskins or Bucs.
49ers- loss to the Saints
Phili- needs to lose to either Panthers or Redskins
St Louis needs to lose to either Bears or Cardinals
Minn. must lose both of next two games because of conference record @ Bears and @Lions

Clinch Division
Basically it is going to be tough to clinch but hypothetically if we won the next three, Carolina lost next three (against Eagles Giants and Steelers) and Falcons lose one of next three (Redskins, Bucs and Cowdoys).

Home Field and First round bye it gets way to complicated right know but if we want a shot we have to beat Dal and Sea needs to lose

I did the math and this is what I see as the quickest way to clinch-

We can get the berth in as little as 2 weeks:
Saints win the next two
Atl- needs to lose to the Redskins or Bucs.
49ers- loss to the Saints
Phili- needs to lose to either Panthers or Redskins
St Louis needs to lose to either Bears or Cardinals
Minn. must lose both of next two games because of conference record @ Bears and @Lions

Clinch Division
Basically it is going to be tough to clinch but hypothetically if we won the next three, Carolina lost next three (against Eagles Giants and Steelers) and Falcons lose one of next three (Redskins, Bucs and Cowdoys).

Home Field and First round bye it gets way to complicated right know but if we want a shot we have to beat Dal and Sea needs to lose

what do you mean about clinch the division, or do you mean conference? I fully expect the Saints to win their division.

Saints (7-4)

To clinch division title: Must win one more than Panthers.

To clinch playoff berth: Must win at least four games.

REMAINING SCHEDULE:
Dec. 3 vs 49ers, 1 p.m.
Dec. 10 at Cowboys, 1 p.m.
Dec. 17 vs Redskins, 1 p.m.
Dec. 24 at Giants, 1 p.m.
Dec. 31 vs Panthers, 1 p.m.

We can still win the division over Carolina, even in a tie, as long as we beat them. This would give us a better Division record, and therefore the Division crown.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom