staphory

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
OK here's my situation.
I have an approved retirement date of 1 sep 07. I have the opportunity to accelerate that to 1 April 07. Why would I want to do that?
1. I can't pass a PT test due to the various physical problems that I have been experiencing.
2. My commander has no sympathy for that and will start handing out punisment soon.
3. I'm becoming stressed out and frustrated because I'm working my rear off trying to get into shape and it's not working.
4 I'm tired of the craziness at work.

Why wouldn't I want to do that?
1. it would cost me $106 per month in reduced retired pay.
2. I don't have a job to slide right into.
3. As frustrating as it is, my job is still interesting to me.

So, what would you do if you were me?

$106 per month will be huge when you retire.

By the way, I'm not military so I don't know. What kind of "punishment" can you be given if you fail to pass a PT test? What are the consequences of failing a PT test?

If the punishment isn't too bad and they can't just discharge you anyway if you fail a PT test, then I would say you should try to stick it out. $106 per month could mean a lot to you when you retire.

If you have a legitimate reason not to take a PT test. Go and start an MEB (Medical evaluation Board). Once you are accepted for the MEB you can immediately tell your CDR that you rather retire than take the MEB. Hint, you must update your profile to a P3 immediately. Honestly, his hands are tied if you do not take a route similar to this.

Staph, if you want to ride the MEB all the way, do it. It will take about 8 months, and at that time you can lobby to drop it all and retire. There are many of ways to do this in your favor.

Make 'em force you out staphory. Don't give them the gratification of bowing out early. You're an E-7 right? Do you have 2 years TIG yet?

$106 per month will be huge when you retire.

By the way, I'm not military so I don't know. What kind of "punishment" can you be given if you fail to pass a PT test? What are the consequences of failing a PT test?

If the punishment isn't too bad and they can't just discharge you anyway if you fail a PT test, then I would say you should try to stick it out. $106 per month could mean a lot to you when you retire.
Well, It starts with a letter of counseling, then another failure gets you a letter of reprimand, the next fail can be reduction in grade, the next failure can result in discharge (ie, no money at all). the last one would mean that I get nothing to show for more than 22 yrs of service.

We had a guy retire last year that they were trying to take a stripe from right until the last minute. In my commanders defense though, the guy was really fat and never really made an effort. At least I'm trying and have some guys that will back me on that.

btw...I'm readying myself to fight the same fight. I'm 1 month into a 6 month PT waiver trying to figure out what is up with my back (not disc related thankfully). If I don't have a clear diagnosis before my waiver is up, I get to go before the MRB. Knowing the Reserves, they aren't going to have much sympathy for me. Here's the kicker...at that point I'll be 6 months away from the 18 year "protection" point. If they try to force me out at 17 1/2 years, I'll be on the phone with my congressman.

2 questions:
1) How badly out of shape are you?
2) When is your next PT?

LS

Last edited:
Make 'em force you out staphory. Don't give them the gratification of bowing out early. You're an E-7 right? Do you have 2 years TIG yet?
31 Aug 07 makes me a MSgt with the required 2 yrs TIG.
Because of force shaping, they have reduced the TIG requirement for a MSgt to 18 months. I'll have that in Mar 07.

btw...I'm readying myself to fight the same fight. I'm 1 month into a 6 month PT waiver trying to figure out what is up with my back (not disc related thankfully). If I don't have a clear diagnosis before my waiver is up, I get to go before the MRB. Knowing the Reserves, they aren't going to have much sympathy for me. Here's the kicker...at that point I'll be 6 months away from the 18 year "protection" point. If they try to force me out at 17 1/2 years, I'll be on the phone with my congressman.
Ouch! I'm not sure they can MRB you that quickly with a clear diagnosis. But it will be close. Read up on the AFI...that way the can't railroad you.

Ouch! I'm not sure they can MRB you that quickly with a clear diagnosis. But it will be close. Read up on the AFI...that way the can't railroad you.
There are other ways to skin the cat so to speak. ;)

3 questions:
1) What type of punishment is your commander likely to dish out?
2) How badly out of shape are you?
3) When is your next PT?

LS
All of the ones that I listed above. Commanders get graded on that stuff so if a CC has people on the list of fails it reflects poorly on him. As far as he can see, it's either him or me. The officer world here at Langley is dog eat dog.
I can run the 1.5 mile run. I just can do it fast enough. Push ups kill me do to lingering pain from my disc problem. My biggest problem is a 39" waist. That kills a PT score right there.
My next PT is wednesday.

If you have a legitimate reason not to take a PT test. Go and start an MEB (Medical evaluation Board). Once you are accepted for the MEB you can immediately tell your CDR that you rather retire than take the MEB. Hint, you must update your profile to a P3 immediately. Honestly, his hands are tied if you do not take a route similar to this.

Staph, if you want to ride the MEB all the way, do it. It will take about 8 months, and at that time you can lobby to drop it all and retire. There are many of ways to do this in your favor.
Actually, an MEB in the AF can take as little as two weeks. I've seen that happen with my own eyes.

Actually, an MEB in the AF can take as little as two weeks. I've seen that happen with my own eyes.

Ouch. Well, you will still be within a year of your retirement. I will get the DA memo that states "If you are within 1 year of retirement, you can opt for retirement over an MEB." Many Soldeirs are taking advantage of it, because it keeps them at home and away from damaging physical training during their last year of service. Once I get it, I will email it to you.

Ouch. Well, you will still be within a year of your retirement. I will get the DA memo that states "If you are within 1 year of retirement, you can opt for retirement over an MEB." Many Soldeirs are taking advantage of it, because it keeps them at home and away from damaging physical training during their last year of service. Once I get it, I will email it to you.
Cool Thanks!

Staph, at some point, you may be offered a % disability retirement. I know several folks who took a 75% disability rather than stick it out.

Keep in mind, a disabililty retirement is nontaxable. A regular retirement is fully taxable.

Have you put a pencil to that? What are your thoughts?

I'm five years removed from the issue, so I'll bow to anybody with more current info.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom