Saints What would your Proposed overtime rule change be? (1 Viewer)

My idea is a hybrid of College and NFL

3 OT Quarter Max.
If both team remain scoresless for an OT Quarter or remains in a tie after 3 OT. Game officially ends in a tie.
All OT start at the 50 yard line

Scoring opportunities per QT.

1st OT QT - FG or TD; PAT or 2 PT Conv
2nd OT QT - No FG allowed, Must Score TD, and 2PT
3rd OT QT - No FG Allowed, Must score TD, 2PT, and PAT.

My idea: just stop changing stuff. Game is fantastic. Stop trying to “fix” things that aren’t broken like OT and the onside kick.

No ties. OT Rules: College rules 1 possession each at the 35 yard line redzone area. If still tied. Each team start at the 50 yard line swap the field and score sudden death rules. OR Team can risk their possession on "Super Kick" by kicking the Kick Off through the Goal Post. How do you think this would work 🤔

Just forego overtime in the regular season and institute ties. If you can't win it in 4 quarters, you don't deserve to win.

Playoffs, choice between 50yd FGs or 4th and goal from the 5. 10 points wins it.

I guess you aren't a fan of high school and college overtime rules then.

I think its terrible. Its like, well we couldn't decide a winner based on playing football, so lets decide the winner by playing a game loosely based on football.

Last edited:
Some good alternatives here, but the simplest one is also one I could live with and would keep things short and sweet.

In the event of a tied game at the end of regulation the game would be decided by two-point conversion tries. The first team to convert the two-point try wins the game.

Note: the success rate on two point tries currently is about 49%. You could insure both teams get at least one try or you could have it so the winner has to convert a try then stop the opposing team's try to win the game. If they don't stop the opponent the overtime continues until one team converts and the other fails. Would love to see what kind of plays teams come up with in that situation!

Im fine with a tie in the regular season and dont need nor want more than a quarter of OT (outside of playoffs).

I think the proposed idea of "place" and "choose" is interesting and would make the coin flip much less significant.

Although I wouldnt mind the soccer style 3 FG attempts from the 40, particularly if it had to be 3 different kickers on each try.

What the hell is the point of having an extra period of football to decide the winner of a tie game in regulation... If you don't ever decide the winner of a tie game in the extra period?

It's dumb... and pointless...

Just like corrections in newspapers, once it's wrong the first time, it's wrong forever for most people.

Same with changing the old sudden-death OT format in the first place after we -- a small market team -- won the Super Bowl. The current NFL and the ownership ranks that enable this situation has no interest in getting it right, either.

I think each team gets a possession in OT. If team one scores a TD on it's first possession, the second team gets a possession and obviously must score a TD. If they DO score a TD, the second team MUST go for two.

I think its terrible. Its like, well we couldn't decide a winner based on playing football, so lets decide the winner based a game loosely based on football.

So much this. Play an extra quarter, 4th quarter rules apply, no sudden death. If (and it's a BIG if) 2OT+ comes up in the playoffs then reduce the length of each extra period. It would probably only come up once every few decades anyway.

For regular season: The game ends. (ties can create some interesting playoff implications)
In playoffs. Have one full quarter.If still tied, then , you keep playing full quarters until someone scores 6 points.

----

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom