Saints What would your Proposed overtime rule change be? (1 Viewer)

With all the emphasis on player safety I am surprised the NFLPA hasn't pushed to end regular season overtime. You would reduce injuries and wear and tear on players bodies. Let those games end in a tie and use the current rule for post season.

Each team selects either a kicker or a punter to represent them... then each team’s selected player kicks Roger Goodell in the plums as hard as they can...

Then they follow the NCAA overtime rules to determine a winner.

...the 1st part is the key though.

Personally, I love the college OT rule. I find it very exciting. It’s fun, simple, and fair. Not sure why everything has to be so complicated, when a better alternative has always been staring right at them. That’s just me though

I'd be game if the OT rules don't count personal stats. Eli Manning broke his father Archies single game TD record at Ole Ms. due to OT rules. Archie held the record at 5. Eli broke it with 6,and 4 of those were in a 6 OT game against Arkansas. Archie threw all of his in regulation.

I like the current rules, especially because I think it has favored us as an offensive team in the past.

I don't like all the college style variables thrown in with starting field position and whether you can kick a FG. It changes the game too much for my liking. I like that a team has to drive the field in NFL OT to score, just like any other point in the game. And I generally like the change where you can't win on the first possession unless you score a TD.

I'd like to see OT go away. Just end the game in a draw. Doing so would end the interminable "play to get to OT" and reduce player time on the field (theoretically reducing injury and wear & tear, too).

For the playoffs? Go back to the old way. 1st team to score wins it all. And if you don't win the toss and lose? Tough luck. You should have played better for the first 60 minutes. Let's be honest here: with officiating the way it is football success is pretty much a crapshoot anyway. It is better to be lucky than good more now than ever.

Imho,

Spot the ball at the 50 yard line at the end of regulation. The home team is allowed to choose if they want to be on offense or defense (home field advantage). The first to score 6 points wins the game with the overtime period lasting 7 minutes and 30 seconds or 1/2 a quarter. Each team will be given an additional timeout and challenge.

If the score is tied at the end of the OT period then each team will kickoff from their 20 yard line and the team with the most return yardage is awarded 1 point for the win. If both teams somehow return the kickoff for a TD or the same amount of yardage (highly improbable) then another kickoff is granted to both teams. Once again the team with the most return yardage is given a point for the win.

I believe this could make the NFL overtime just as interesting as college but not exactly duplicate the college OT rules while also appeasing the NFLPA, networks and fans.

Once again, just my opinion of something that I’d like to see play out and the OT rule would translate to the playoffs.

If at the end of OT, the game is still tied, then it all comes down to a free throw shot. The visiting team picks the player that gets to attempt it and if he makes it, they win.

Why are Americans so afraid of ties? Does a pretend winner after a ridiculous overtime really make the result more fitting? Hockey(regular season) and college football overtime are an embarrassment to sport.

People make fun of soccer shoot-outs, but that is out of necessity, not stupidity of whatever college football is trying to do.

Sometimes a tie is the proper result. Deal with it.

Go back to the 15 minute overtime...both teams are guaranteed one possession regardless of if a TD is scored on the first drive or not. The caveat - if team A scores a TD on its first possession makes the extra point, team B must score a touchdown to match AND go for two to decide the game right then and there.

If no first possession TD is scored, similar to how it is now, the game immediately becomes sudden death.

I like Beliceks idea of just one extra 7.5 minute 5th quarter. No coin toss, just continue the game for one extra 1/2 quarter. Or you could do 1/3 quarter (5 mins), or any other amount of time...4 mins, 6 mins, 7 mins, 8 mins.

I would play a full extra quarter, whoever hast the most points win the game. If it's still a tie then send the kickers out. First try from the 35 yd line - if both kicks are good, then go back to the 40 and so on. Simple and fair imho.

Treat it like a 5th quarter, no coin flip. Team that had the ball keeps going. Finish the whole 10 minute quarter and if still tied then it becomes sudden death.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom