Saints What would your Proposed overtime rule change be? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Pro Football Talk is running an article on two proposed overtime rule changes. here's the link. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...lutionary-spot-and-choose-overtime-procedure/

What change, if any, would you make. here is mine.

Just continue the game where the ball is when the 4th quarter clock runs out. Play an additional 10 minutes or the game ends after each team possessed the ball once, if one team scored. You would eliminate the kneeing down by a team who wants to go to overtime. There would be an added strategy for when an offense has a fourth down just outside FG range with under 10 seconds to go in the game and a time out remaining. Would you go for the first down (to get in FG range), punt, or try a Hail Mary, knowing the ball will be turned over at that spot if you don’t make the FG or failed Hail Mary pass. Or do you punt your opponent deep in their territory to start the overtime.

Have another quarter with normal kickoff etc.
1st team to score 6 points wins game.
If a team scores >6 and the quarter ends, then that team would win (highest score at end of extra quarter (obviously)).

Last edited:
Personally, I love the college OT rule. I find it very exciting. It’s fun, simple, and fair. Not sure why everything has to be so complicated, when a better alternative has always been staring right at them. That’s just me though
I think it's the union and NFL not liking the idea of an undetermined amount of game time played like LSU 7 OT games.

I’d say do the OT kickoff like normal, then play the full quarter. Whoever has the most points at the end wins.

I would be ok with this except I think the home team should be allowed to call the coin toss. Or maybe whichever team chose the opening kickoff (defer/receive) would get the choice for OT (since the other team would've got the 3rd quarter choice.)

I think it's the union and NFL not liking the idea of an undetermined amount of game time played like LSU 7 OT games.
And it’s one of the greatest games of all time. Those are the games that fans love/want to see and what players live to play. With all due respect, that game should have never went into OT anyway.

I'd like to give both teams a chance to score. Even if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown. Maybe go to sudden death after that. Or require teams to go for 2 on their OT extra points.

I'd like to give both teams a chance to score. Even if the team that gets the ball first scores a touchdown. Maybe go to sudden death after that. Or require teams to go for 2 on their OT extra points.

Both teams had 4 quarters of chances to score. If you can score a touchdown in overtime, I think you should win.

Both teams had 4 quarters of chances to score. If you can score a touchdown in overtime, I think you should win.

I guess you aren't a fan of high school and college overtime rules then.

Backup Quarterbacks meet at the 50 yard line. Last Man Standing takes home the Victory for their team. If a Backup Quarterback is injured prior to overtime the Punter takes their place.

Personally, I love the college OT rule. I find it very exciting. It’s fun, simple, and fair. Not sure why everything has to be so complicated, when a better alternative has always been staring right at them. That’s just me though

It's not fair -- the team that goes second has a staggering game-theory advantage.

The NFL version is damn near perfect.

It creates a series of choices and balances better between who wins the flip (ball first or second), and gives the team with the ball first an advantage (score a TD, game over, score a FG, the other team gets a chance to tie or win) but also gives the second team the ability to plan their possession based on whether the first team score a TD, a FG or nothing.

The first imbalance doesn't come until each team has had the ball once, and then it's sudden-death again, and having the ball first then becomes a huge advantage because you can win with a shorter drive. The fix would be that, absent losing the ball on a turnover, the second team would always get a chance to match. For instance, if each team punts the first time, or kicks a FG the first time, you start over with how you started the overtime vis-a-vis the risks/rewards for each team.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom