What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (3 Viewers)

Boudin stuffed pork loin wrapped in Benton's bacon.
I know Ive had benton's bacon in restaurants and been over the moon about it, but Ive ordered some twice and both times it was so salty I couldnt eat it (and I am heavy handed with and love salt)

I'll have to give it another go as I know so many people who swear by it. I think I just genuinely prefer Wrights.

I know Ive had benton's bacon in restaurants and been over the moon about it, but Ive ordered some twice and both times it was so salty I couldnt eat it (and I am heavy handed with and love salt)

I'll have to give it another go as I know so many people who swear by it. I think I just genuinely prefer Wrights.

I get 5-10lbs of pork belly at Costco and just cure it myself. Way better than anything off the shelf, and I always have some in the freezer.

It is very salty and I use it as much as a seasoning as bacon. That said, I start mine in a cold pan with a half an inch of water or so. I turn it on high till it starts to boil for a minute and then pour of the fat and salt laden water.

That gives me bean seasoning in a jar and bacon that's not so salty and it also seems to shorten the time to crispy goodness.

Other than that how was it?

It was quite tasty, but I'll do it differently next time. I'm not much of an oven/roaster guy so it was overdone a bit. I think I should have filleted it out thinner and rolled it into a pinwheel rather than stuffing it like I did. Not sure, but it was dryer and more done than I would have liked.

Maybe Twyst will chime in, but overall the concept was solid.

I made a batch of crab ravigote last night after dinner and my neighbor has a yard full of these little reddish/purple tomatoes about the size of golf balls I'm going to stuff this afternoon.

It was quite tasty, but I'll do it differently next time. I'm not much of an oven/roaster guy so it was overdone a bit. I think I should have filleted it out thinner and rolled it into a pinwheel rather than stuffing it like I did. Not sure, but it was dryer and more done than I would have liked.

Maybe Twyst will chime in, but overall the concept was solid.

I made a batch of crab ravigote last night after dinner and my neighbor has a yard full of these little reddish/purple tomatoes about the size of golf balls I'm going to stuff this afternoon.

I like to smoke small tomatoes. Gotta be careful not to overdo it tho

I like to smoke small tomatoes. Gotta be careful not to overdo it tho

I canned 20lbs of San Marzano tomatoes this weekend (I'm sure there is some dispute about the type because they weren't from Italy, but that's what the farmer's market called them and they were nice and meaty like they should be).

Anyway... I took the peels and put them in the dehydrator for a few hours. Blitzed them in the food processor, and.. tomato dust. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but it smells awesome.

I canned 20lbs of San Marzano tomatoes this weekend (I'm sure there is some dispute about the type because they weren't from Italy, but that's what the farmer's market called them and they were nice and meaty like they should be).

Anyway... I took the peels and put them in the dehydrator for a few hours. Blitzed them in the food processor, and.. tomato dust. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but it smells awesome.

I get that from a local spanish store. Goes great in soup

Ok that sounds awesome! Maybe consider spreading them in a pan and smoking them for a while with hickory or mesquite chips and use as a seasoning, maybe with fresh hummus or burgers? I have no idea if that would turn out good, just brain storming here...

I have 3 San Marzano plants with decent sized green tomatoes just starting to turn red, but the blight is hitting them. I just hope I get some decent ones before the plants croak. The rest of my plants (cherokee purples, brandywines, and beefsteaks) are looking decent, with a hint of blight on all, but the tomatoes are well past baseball size, so I think it should be a decent harvest.

Lunch today: I cheated and went to this new local wood-burning smokehouse at this marina a few blocks from my street. Got a rack of babybacks and a smoked lobster roll. They put the whole lobsters in the smoker and let it go for a while. Ribs were decent (really good bark), just a tad dry but still good. Lobster roll was fantastic, with just the right amount of smokiness, and sweet and tender. New England style, so just butter on the rolls. I need to learn to make this at home.

bbqpit.JPG

ribs.jpg

lobster roll.jpg

Hmm...I'm betting that could work good as a finisher/garnish for a nice, light pasta.

Lunch today: I cheated and went to this new local wood-burning smokehouse at this marina a few blocks from my street. Got a rack of babybacks and a smoked lobster roll. They put the whole lobsters in the smoker and let it go for a while. Ribs were decent (really good bark), just a tad dry but still good. Lobster roll was fantastic, with just the right amount of smokiness, and sweet and tender. New England style, so just butter on the rolls. I need to learn to make this at home.

bbqpit.JPG

ribs.jpg

lobster roll.jpg
i love lobster and have been to the "best" places in boston, but i only like the roll. i'd rather a shrimp poboy any day of the week.

i love lobster and have been to the "best" places in boston, but i only like the roll. i'd rather a shrimp poboy any day of the week.

I hear you cause the first things I get to eat when I visit Nola is a cup of gumbo and a shrimp poboy....but, it is kind of an apples to oranges thing....as the shrimp are fried...

The more apt comparison would be a choice between a lobster roll and a shrimp salad roll....just sayin.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom