What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (4 Viewers)

So, lately, we've been eating a lot more salads and fresh veggies with all of our meals. So, nothing that exciting, other than adding a lot of greens, and eating an apple or banana daily.

I've also been trying some healthier pre-packaged things, like Kevin's Natural Foods, for a quick meal that's tolerable. The sauces are decent, but always end up a little too watery. But, I can make it in like 5 minutes, so that counts. Not too bad with the sodium either.

Yesterday I did make up some thin boneless pork chops and Arroz Gondules (PR style rice and pigeon peas). We had it for leftovers tonight. Came out good. I like baking the chops, or chicken thighs, for that matter, on my granite stone baking sheet / griddle sheet. Just does a great job searing the meat without that usual soggy cookie sheet type mess.

The weekend before I did turkey chili, and accidently smoked out the girls... note to self, they can't take any Cayenne pepper, let alone a single dried California pepper..lol. Added a touch of chocolate, maple syrup, and bourbon to it.. it was good. Just too much heat for the girls. I barely felt a tickle. I'm a terrible judge for spice for them.

So, lately, we've been eating a lot more salads and fresh veggies with all of our meals. So, nothing that exciting, other than adding a lot of greens, and eating an apple or banana daily.

I've also been trying some healthier pre-packaged things, like Kevin's Natural Foods, for a quick meal that's tolerable. The sauces are decent, but always end up a little too watery. But, I can make it in like 5 minutes, so that counts. Not too bad with the sodium either.

Yesterday I did make up some thin boneless pork chops and Arroz Gondules (PR style rice and pigeon peas). We had it for leftovers tonight. Came out good. I like baking the chops, or chicken thighs, for that matter, on my granite stone baking sheet / griddle sheet. Just does a great job searing the meat without that usual soggy cookie sheet type mess.

The weekend before I did turkey chili, and accidently smoked out the girls... note to self, they can't take any Cayenne pepper, let alone a single dried California pepper..lol. Added a touch of chocolate, maple syrup, and bourbon to it.. it was good. Just too much heat for the girls. I barely felt a tickle. I'm a terrible judge for spice for them.
Don’t know how cold it gets in your neck of the woods but have you tried roasting your vegetables? My wife and I do beets, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. She just does salt and pepper and olive oil and put it on the cookie sheet and when the vegetables are done I will take my half put them in a bowl and pour in some balsamic glaze that I get From Trader Joe’s/market don’t know if you’re familiar with Trader Joe’s. We have this with grilled chicken breast. Very much on the healthy side, I asked about the weather because when it gets cold we use the heat from the oven to semi warm up part of the house while the vegetables are roasting.

My wife and her friend went on and on about Creamed Spinach on Saturday night so I promised to make it for them Sunday. I did a great pork roast rubbed with creole mustard, rosemary, garlic, black pepper and olive oil and topped with a fat slice of Benton's Bacon. Sauteed up some onion and garlic and made some rice with chicken stock and some pork fat. But the topper was the "Cremaed Spinach"

Turns out the girls bought Collards and didn't notice, but I cooked it just as if it was spinach.

rendered out some bacon, sauteed in some shallot and then a bunch of garlic and then tossed in my greens and a pinch of salt. Once it was all softened, I tossed in about a shy Tbsp of flour to build up my roux and then a good bit of chicken stock, cream and parm.

I swear, if you cook it that way you could make kale taste good. Definitley not okra, but kale could be edible.

Don’t know how cold it gets in your neck of the woods but have you tried roasting your vegetables? My wife and I do beets, sweet potato, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. She just does salt and pepper and olive oil and put it on the cookie sheet and when the vegetables are done I will take my half put them in a bowl and pour in some balsamic glaze that I get From Trader Joe’s/market don’t know if you’re familiar with Trader Joe’s. We have this with grilled chicken breast. Very much on the healthy side, I asked about the weather because when it gets cold we use the heat from the oven to semi warm up part of the house while the vegetables are roasting.
I turned off the AC for two days so far this year.... so, cool, but not cold.

Either way, I'd do that. We cook brussel sprouts that way.

My wife and her friend went on and on about Creamed Spinach on Saturday night so I promised to make it for them Sunday. I did a great pork roast rubbed with creole mustard, rosemary, garlic, black pepper and olive oil and topped with a fat slice of Benton's Bacon. Sauteed up some onion and garlic and made some rice with chicken stock and some pork fat. But the topper was the "Cremaed Spinach"

Turns out the girls bought Collards and didn't notice, but I cooked it just as if it was spinach.

rendered out some bacon, sauteed in some shallot and then a bunch of garlic and then tossed in my greens and a pinch of salt. Once it was all softened, I tossed in about a shy Tbsp of flour to build up my roux and then a good bit of chicken stock, cream and parm.

I swear, if you cook it that way you could make kale taste good. Definitley not okra, but kale could be edible.
Holy crap, I think I gained a pound and a half reading this lol

I’ve had the white clam sauce before, it wasn’t all that. For some reason I prefer tomato based sauces

It does look really good and I'm cool with red sauce but for my clams and linguine it's just olive oil, butter, clam juice and fresh parm....

Yep we do the same, brussels in particular are incredibly good this way IMO....

Simple recipe I've been making in cold weather times around here....

Garlic Mushroom Chicken thighs....simple and delicious...

Boneless or bone in (just simmer a bit longer) chicken thighs (2 per person) rubbed with olive oil and spices (I use chili pepper, coarse salt and cumin).....non stick pan on medium heat, light seal sear on both sides about 7 minutes a side (10 if bone in)....

then add a few chopped garlic cloves
1 cup of (unsalted) chicken stock per 6 thighs (everything based on 6, you can adjust for less or more)
1/2 cup of soy sauce
One Lemon juiced

Let it simmer (medium low heat) while making the rice (it is best over rice IMO), the last 15 minutes throw in some mushroom (I like sheetake the best)....

Serve it over rice....I'm still varying up some things but this is the general recipe....Bon appetite!!!!!

It does look really good and I'm cool with red sauce but for my clams and linguine it's just olive oil, butter, clam juice and fresh parm....

Yep we do the same, brussels in particular are incredibly good this way IMO....

Simple recipe I've been making in cold weather times around here....

Garlic Mushroom Chicken thighs....simple and delicious...

Boneless or bone in (just simmer a bit longer) chicken thighs (2 per person) rubbed with olive oil and spices (I use chili pepper, coarse salt and cumin).....non stick pan on medium heat, light seal sear on both sides about 7 minutes a side (10 if bone in)....

then add a few chopped garlic cloves
1 cup of (unsalted) chicken stock per 6 thighs (everything based on 6, you can adjust for less or more)
1/2 cup of soy sauce
One Lemon juiced

Let it simmer (medium low heat) while making the rice (it is best over rice IMO), the last 15 minutes throw in some mushroom (I like sheetake the best)....

Serve it over rice....I'm still varying up some things but this is the general recipe....Bon appetite!!!!!
Clam juice? Interesting...yeah.

:hihi:

I don't know how you mix up spinach and collards, but whatever. Also, I love collards.

I don't know how you mix up spinach and collards, but whatever. Also, I love collards.

I do too. I have no idea except that instead of the little bag of pre-washed baby veggies, they were sent to buy actual heads and must have gotten confused with the stack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom