What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tonight will be chicken, deer sausage, and shrimp sausage jambalaya with a side of crispy Asian salad.
Heck with social distancing. Can I come over? :)

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have managed to stock up five boxes spaghetti and have tons of meatballs in the freezer. In constant search of sauce. I think I need to get a really good homemade recipe. I know I’ve seen San Marzano recommended if you go canned tomatoes. Are fresh ones good enough yet to try?

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have managed to stock up five boxes spaghetti and have tons of meatballs in the freezer. In constant search of sauce. I think I need to get a really good homemade recipe. I know I’ve seen San Marzano recommended if you go canned tomatoes. Are fresh ones good enough yet to try?
I do Bolognese (meat sauce) and not meat balls and I like it zesty as sheet - but my mom (not Italian) taught me to make it with cut up onions and green peppers, minced garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, fresh basil, a bunch of black pepper, and bay leaves. It was great, but a lot of work (and that’s half-assed compared to a real ‘home-made’ recipe).

But then I got lazy and experimented with sauces - I finally found one that works for me. I get the Bertolli organic basil and garlic one, and I add three bay leaves, and a bunch (like seriously a lot) of garlic powder and black pepper - but the end result is just about the same, and delicious . . . but so much less work. I don’t get the same flavor from any other jarred sauce - but it’s what I’m looking for.

I think finding a sauce that you can then improve on in your kitchen is a really efficient way.

Last edited:

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
I do Bolognese (meat sauce) and not meat balls and I like it zesty as shot - but my mom (not Italian) taught me to make it with cut up onions and green peppers, minced garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, fresh basil, a bunch of black pepper, and bay leaves. It was great, but a lot of work (and that’s half-assed compared to a real ‘home-made’ recipe).

But then I got lazy and experimented with sauces - I finally found one that works for me. I get the Bertolli organic basil and garlic one, and I add three bay leaves, and a bunch (like seriously a lot) of garlic powder and black pepper - but the end result is just about the same, and delicious . . . but so much less work. I don’t get the same flavor from any other jarred sauce - but it’s what I’m looking for.

I think finding a sauce that you can then improve on your kitchen is a really efficient way.
You speak truth

zeetes

yo’ robbie fordz fo lyfe
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I do Bolognese (meat sauce) and not meat balls and I like it zesty as shirt - but my mom (not Italian) taught me to make it with cut up onions and green peppers, minced garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, fresh basil, a bunch of black pepper, and bay leaves. It was great, but a lot of work (and that’s half-assed compared to a real ‘home-made’ recipe).

I think finding a sauce that you can then improve on in your kitchen is a really efficient way.
i like zesty. sounds like zeetes on steroids.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I do Bolognese (meat sauce) and not meat balls and I like it zesty as shirt - but my mom (not Italian) taught me to make it with cut up onions and green peppers, minced garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, fresh basil, a bunch of black pepper, and bay leaves. It was great, but a lot of work (and that’s half-assed compared to a real ‘home-made’ recipe).

You know bolognese is more than just tomato/meat sauce, right?

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
There aren’t really any good tomatoes in our local groceries. Rouses occasionally has some decent heirlooms, but the rest pretty much suck.

The farmers market usually has pretty good ones and I recently found fresh san marzano there, which I had never seen before. They were great. Unfortunately, they are shut down for now.

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Bertoli is not bad and I scored one jar of it. My preference is actually Newman’s Own Marinara. I doctor it up a bit sometimes but it’s good right out of the jar.

my mom made us meat sauce when I was a kid but when she married an Italian man, we switched over to meatballs. I like that you can grill some Italian Sausage to give your plate some meat variety.

I experimented with a bolognese sauce that was pretty good a few years back. It had heavy whipping cream in it and was super rich. I don’t think it switched me over to a new favorite though. In most situations, I think people are comforted by the foods they had as Young kids. Chicken and dumplings and fried cube steak come to mind. Meat sauce didn’t really stick like that though.

OP
OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You know bolognese is more than just tomato/meat sauce, right?
Sure there's garlic and herbs and diced up vegetables and - I don't know, I'm using the term generally. If it's improper to call browned ground meet in a store-bought pasta sauce doctored up with garlic and herbs "Bolognese" I'll stop.

I don't ever actually call it that when I make it. I don't tell my kids "here's your Bolognese" - I say "here's your spaghetti" . . . though typically its on vermicelli or angel hair.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Sure there's garlic and herbs and diced up vegetables and - I don't know, I'm using the term generally. If it's improper to call browned ground meet in a store-bought pasta sauce doctored up with garlic and herbs "Bolognese" I'll stop.

I don't ever actually call it that when I make it. I don't tell my kids "here's your Bolognese" - I say "here's your spaghetti" . . . though typically its on vermicelli or angel hair.
I'm not picking (maybe a little), but Bolognese has a certain creamy mouthfeel (Zack alluded to it) that sets it apart from just "meat sauce" or marianara. It comes from starting with some bacon or pancetta (so adding a nice bit of pork fat), simmering the meat in a considerable amount of wine and milk or cream. The fat and dairy also helps it adhere to the pasta in a really lovely way - which is why you will usually see it served with a wider noodle, like tagliatelle.

Nothing wrong with doctoring sauce out of a jar or a nice meat sauce, and I don't care if you want to call it Bolognese. But pull a few recipes off the the internet, and you will see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom