What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (10 Viewers)

Clearing out the freezer... tonight was crawfish stew. The pack looked a little light and so I looked in the freezer again and found some sacalait fillets as well... Threw them in the black iron pot with the rest of the goods... pretty damn tasty!

Dixie Voodoo was a perfect compliment to the dark roux...

Yeah, Lenten Fridays suck.

So when you move away from Louisiana and don't get to just come home whenever you want - your chances to eat real boiled crawfish get very slim. You learn when the proper crawfish boils are in your area and you mark those damn things on your calendar a year in advance. I usually get about two or three chances every year . . . if I'm lucky. Sometimes I get home in the spring but often I don't, so those local boils are a big deal.

This year? Canceled. So I had to take matters into my own hands. The weather is awesome so I ordered 20 pounds live from Louisiana Crawfish Company in Natchitoches - they're coming by FedEx tomorrow. It's actually surprisingly reasonable - you get 20 pounds, live in proper shipping (insulated cooler - and guaranteed), plus two pounds of boil for $109, shipping included.

I'm jonesing. I refresh the FedEx about once an hour to see where the package is.

So when you move away from Louisiana and don't get to just come home whenever you want - your chances to eat real boiled crawfish get very slim. You learn when the proper crawfish boils are in your area and you mark those damn things on your calendar a year in advance. I usually get about two or three chances every year . . . if I'm lucky. Sometimes I get home in the spring but often I don't, so those local boils are a big deal.

This year? Canceled. So I had to take matters into my own hands. The weather is awesome so I ordered 20 pounds live from Louisiana Crawfish Company in Natchitoches - they're coming by FedEx tomorrow. It's actually surprisingly reasonable - you get 20 pounds, live in proper shipping (insulated cooler - and guaranteed), plus two pounds of boil for $109, shipping included.

I'm jonesing. I refresh the FedEx about once an hour to see where the package is.

I would so do this, but at the condo I live in, there's no practical place to boil em. We have a gas stove, but idk if doing them inside is possible. I hate not having a house sometimes.

berl.jpg

Rained and stormed like crazy yesterday, so I went and got 12lbs of crawfish, set up lawn chairs and a cooler full of beer in the garage, and had a party with the wife and kid. Was a great time. Still kinda small crawfish - could only find them at one place. Don't care, had beer and crawfish.

Last edited:
berl.jpg

Rained and stomed like crazy yesterday, so I went and got 12lbs of crawfish, set up lawn chairs and a cooler full of beer in the garage, and had a party with the wife and kid. Was a great time. Still kinda small crawfish - could only find them at one place.
i tend to look in the swamp for crawfish - is there another place to look?

I have managed to stock up five boxes spaghetti and have tons of meatballs in the freezer. In constant search of sauce. I think I need to get a really good homemade recipe. I know I’ve seen San Marzano recommended if you go canned tomatoes. Are fresh ones good enough yet to try?

Canned San Marzanps are better for sauce than fresh. Trust me.

Oh, and make a huge batch and freeze it in portions. It's cheap, easy to do and well worth the effort.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom