What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (13 Viewers)

I ordered some bbq from this amazing local joint called the Pecan Lodge...
Ribs, pulled pork, sausage, bacon-covered mac n cheese, and rolls...

97997761_244893456610398_6790337251957014528_n.jpg
Oh man that brings back some memories! Unfortunately I got to experience Pecan Lodge just once before moving away from Dallas. My go-to for bbq was Mike Andersons on Harry Hines. Walking distance from my lab when I was a grad student at UTSW. Their stuffed potatoes, ribs, and smoked turkey sandwich were my regular items...

The color of that Portle soup is dankishness....

Do you mean that positively or negatively? I made the Turtle soup from Galatoire's once and it had the same color as my Portle soup. I'm willing to share the turtle recipe if anyone wants it. Galatoire and Mandina's turtle soup are the best ones I've ever had.

Do you mean that positively or negatively? I made the Turtle soup from Galatoire's once and it had the same color as my Portle soup. I'm willing to share the turtle recipe if anyone wants it. Galatoire and Mandina's turtle soup are the best ones I've ever had.

Dank is how my son's describe something that is or looks delicious....so very positively....great color on that soup man!!!!

I ordered some bbq from this amazing local joint called the Pecan Lodge...
Ribs, pulled pork, sausage, bacon-covered mac n cheese, and rolls...

97997761_244893456610398_6790337251957014528_n.jpg

Pecan Lodge was actually the last restaurant I've dined in at almost 3 months ago. We took a trip to Dallas with the toddler as our first "testing the waters" road trip as a family to hit the zoo, Great Wolf Lodge, etc. First week of March, right before all of this hit.

Their stuff was really good. Think we had the brisket, sausage and pulled pork.

Last edited:
Spatched a whole chicken and marinated it in orange, lemon, garlic, rosemary, S&P, chiles de arbol, and yogurt. About to put that on the grill with a tray of potatoes and parsnips underneath. Mixed up some Bob Gibson-style white BBQ sauce for the chix. Probably a veg too.

Later will be making some sourdough pizza dough for tomorrow and baking this bread that's been fermenting all afternoon.

It's baking right now but tonight I'm cooking a potato and onion au gratin that has bacon, home grown bell peppers and home grown creole tomatoes. I have velveeta in it and it's topped with romano and smoked gruyere cheese. The liquid is beef broth with flour then I added half and half with milk to it. Oh, MSG and some worcestershire is in there as well. I did everything in layers.

So, no pictures, but for the first time in my life (two days ago), I made red beans and rice.

I can feel your eyes rolling at me...

Anyway, I had to do a few things that will make you more upset. We used Italian sausage, since I don't have any proper stuff, and my wife can't take too much spice. I also didn't realize green peppers or celery were used... I didn't have any, so I just use onion. I used diced canned tomatoes, but without the liquid.

Strangely enough, I think it turned out really well. I think the key is starting off the sautee right to get the oil, onion, garlic, etc all browned right. And mashing Red beans, just makes everything better.

If I just graded my beans, I'd say a B+. But, with the Italian Sausage, definitely a B-. I think I'm just going to mix in ham next time.

Tonight, I made some muscles. Nothing too fancy. Realized I didn't have any white wine, so I just did oil, butter, chicken stock, lemon, garlic, and thyme.

Came out pretty good.

Probably doing pulled pork bbq tomorrow.

So, no pictures, but for the first time in my life (two days ago), I made red beans and rice.

Anyway, I had to do a few things that will make you more upset. We used Italian sausage, since I don't have any proper stuff, and my wife can't take too much spice. I also didn't realize green peppers or celery were used... I didn't have any, so I just use onion. I used diced canned tomatoes, but without the liquid.

Strangely enough, I think it turned out really well. I think the key is starting off the sautee right to get the oil, onion, garlic, etc all browned right. And mashing Red beans, just makes everything better.

If I just graded my beans, I'd say a B+. But, with the Italian Sausage, definitely a B-. I think I'm just going to mix in ham next time.

Tonight, I made some muscles. Nothing too fancy. Realized I didn't have any white wine, so I just did oil, butter, chicken stock, lemon, garlic, and thyme.

Came out pretty good.

Probably doing pulled pork bbq tomorrow.

Tomatoes worked with red beans? I would never have thought of it. I like to do one really big green bell pepper, 2 nice sized white onions and 3 stalks of celery. Also, with red beans some pickle juice works really well.

my eyes will have to stop bugging out before they can roll

We used Italian sausage, since I don't have any proper stuff, and my wife can't take too much spice.
aw come on - this just feels like entrapment - you're trying to goad us into infractions

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom