What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (4 Viewers)

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
My newest obsession is mashed potatoes. I have some leftover turkey gravy to go with my latest tater batch so I'm mixing them instead of using the recipe I got from @kewee as suggested by @buzd

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Those are called Llapingachos
They are called many things with Llapingachos probably being the most widely used name....but the village where my wife's parents are from they call them tortijas (at least the spelling is what it sounds like)....

Reaction score
We went to a local meat market yesterday and picked up some French cut pork chops and prime ground beef.

Wife made teriyaki chops with sautéed bok choy and jasmine rice seasoned on the plate with a Japanese rice seasoning mix. It was outstanding!

Today is my turn to cook. I'm grilling my "famous" burgers, which is really just a twist on Bobby Flay's perfect burger. I just chop and mix some green onion in with my meat and season with a Weber mix rather than salt and pepper. I'll say the key is really, the less you handle the beef the better. Mix as lightly and gently as possible and form your patties to where they are almost falling apart. Don't worry, once they sear on the first side, they will be fine to turn.

Last edited:

LonghornSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok check this out , i really like this episode of the Chef Show, onion soup time! @Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

LonghornSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Simmered some German brats in Fat Tire ale, with onions, bay leaf, some seasonings and garlic powder. Pulled the links out when they were done, raised the heat and reduced the liquid by half, then added the sauerkraut and put the links back in. Had that on toasted brioche hotdog buns with mustard. Very very happy!

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Simmered some German brats in Fat Tire ale, with onions, bay leaf, some seasonings and garlic powder. Pulled the links out when they were done, raised the heat and reduced the liquid by half, then added the sauerkraut and put the links back in. Had that on toasted brioche hotdog buns with mustard. Very very happy!
Yep, that sounds good. What makes brats german? I though all brats were (at least) of german origin.

Love sauerkraut. I have several jars of homemade still going.

Maxp

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just butter, garlic and some tonys.

I had smoked ribs and was finishing them up when my wife came down with oysters and garlic butter and asked me to grill them. I did the dozen oysters they wanted and had a ton of butter left and a raging fire so naturally, after a whole bunch of whisky, we decided to grill the crabs.

They were awesome. And the leftover steamed corn from the night before might have been better.
Wait a minute, your wife brought the oysters down? Shucked with prepared butter?

LonghornSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, that sounds good. What makes brats german? I though all brats were (at least) of german origin.

Love sauerkraut. I have several jars of homemade still going.
quote unquote supposedly imported from Germany...who knows? Hey, can you provide a recipe for your kraut? I am very interested in making my own! I used the Trade Joes kraut which had pickles, which I thought were a nice touch. Do you add pickles?

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
quote unquote supposedly imported from Germany...who knows? Hey, can you provide a recipe for your kraut? I am very interested in making my own! I used the Trade Joes kraut which had pickles, which I thought were a nice touch. Do you add pickles?
Traditionally, sauerkraut is just lactofermented cabbage - so cabbage and salt, and maybe some carroway seed. I can look up how much salt I used, but basically the salt extracts the water from the cabbage to make a brine (after you mash the crap out of it) and then you let it sit for a few weeks.

I’ve done a couple of variations and my favorite is one with cauliflower, carrots and hot peppers - so more of a chow chow than a kraut, but still really good.

I will say be careful adding garlic - it get REALLY pungent when it ferments.

Also, I quit heating my kraut. Not because I don’t like it warm (I do), but you kill the helpful probiotic bacteria at about 107 degrees. Not sure if that is an issue with commercial kraut.

LonghornSaint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Traditionally, sauerkraut is just lactofermented cabbage - so cabbage and salt, and maybe some carroway seed. I can look up how much salt I used, but basically the salt extracts the water from the cabbage to make a brine (after you mash the crap out of it) and then you let it sit for a few weeks.

I’ve done a couple of variations and my favorite is one with cauliflower, carrots and hot peppers - so more of a chow chow than a kraut, but still really good.

I will say be careful adding garlic - it get REALLY pungent when it ferments.

Also, I quit heating my kraut. Not because I don’t like it warm (I do), but you kill the helpful probiotic bacteria at about 107 degrees. Not sure if that is an issue with commercial kraut.
When you say you mash teh crap out of it, are you getting in with both hands and squeezing hard, or taking a mallet or plunger to it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom