What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (6 Viewers)

The episode is Extra Helpings With Babish and Dave (it is in volume 2 of the episodes, there is no episode number unfortunately). Plan on getting some apple brandy...

Simmered some German brats in Fat Tire ale, with onions, bay leaf, some seasonings and garlic powder. Pulled the links out when they were done, raised the heat and reduced the liquid by half, then added the sauerkraut and put the links back in. Had that on toasted brioche hotdog buns with mustard. Very very happy!

Simmered some German brats in Fat Tire ale, with onions, bay leaf, some seasonings and garlic powder. Pulled the links out when they were done, raised the heat and reduced the liquid by half, then added the sauerkraut and put the links back in. Had that on toasted brioche hotdog buns with mustard. Very very happy!

Yep, that sounds good. What makes brats german? I though all brats were (at least) of german origin.

Love sauerkraut. I have several jars of homemade still going.

Just butter, garlic and some tonys.

I had smoked ribs and was finishing them up when my wife came down with oysters and garlic butter and asked me to grill them. I did the dozen oysters they wanted and had a ton of butter left and a raging fire so naturally, after a whole bunch of whisky, we decided to grill the crabs.

They were awesome. And the leftover steamed corn from the night before might have been better.
Wait a minute, your wife brought the oysters down? Shucked with prepared butter?

Yep, that sounds good. What makes brats german? I though all brats were (at least) of german origin.

Love sauerkraut. I have several jars of homemade still going.

quote unquote supposedly imported from Germany...who knows? Hey, can you provide a recipe for your kraut? I am very interested in making my own! I used the Trade Joes kraut which had pickles, which I thought were a nice touch. Do you add pickles?

quote unquote supposedly imported from Germany...who knows? Hey, can you provide a recipe for your kraut? I am very interested in making my own! I used the Trade Joes kraut which had pickles, which I thought were a nice touch. Do you add pickles?

Traditionally, sauerkraut is just lactofermented cabbage - so cabbage and salt, and maybe some carroway seed. I can look up how much salt I used, but basically the salt extracts the water from the cabbage to make a brine (after you mash the crap out of it) and then you let it sit for a few weeks.

I’ve done a couple of variations and my favorite is one with cauliflower, carrots and hot peppers - so more of a chow chow than a kraut, but still really good.

I will say be careful adding garlic - it get REALLY pungent when it ferments.

Also, I quit heating my kraut. Not because I don’t like it warm (I do), but you kill the helpful probiotic bacteria at about 107 degrees. Not sure if that is an issue with commercial kraut.

Traditionally, sauerkraut is just lactofermented cabbage - so cabbage and salt, and maybe some carroway seed. I can look up how much salt I used, but basically the salt extracts the water from the cabbage to make a brine (after you mash the crap out of it) and then you let it sit for a few weeks.

I’ve done a couple of variations and my favorite is one with cauliflower, carrots and hot peppers - so more of a chow chow than a kraut, but still really good.

I will say be careful adding garlic - it get REALLY pungent when it ferments.

Also, I quit heating my kraut. Not because I don’t like it warm (I do), but you kill the helpful probiotic bacteria at about 107 degrees. Not sure if that is an issue with commercial kraut.
When you say you mash teh crap out of it, are you getting in with both hands and squeezing hard, or taking a mallet or plunger to it?

When you say you mash teh crap out of it, are you getting in with both hands and squeezing hard, or taking a mallet or plunger to it?

You pretty much have to get in there with your hands but I do have a giant muddle stick that is made for that too.

Wait a minute, your wife brought the oysters down? Shucked with prepared butter?

Yes, but it sounds way cooler the way you said it than it actually was.

Our outdoor kitchen is downstairs where I was grilling. She bought a quart of shucked oysters which she brought downstairs with a vat of garlic butter. I have cast iron oyster pans just for this occasion.

No, she does not shuck and deliver.

Nothing fancy tonight, just more egg salad with bacon and added some salmon. Also, I used canned salmon. I don't have money for the good stuff and I wouldn't have used it in an egg salad if I did buy it.

Nothing fancy tonight, just more egg salad with bacon and added some salmon. Also, I used canned salmon. I don't have money for the good stuff and I wouldn't have used it in an egg salad if I did buy it.

If you add salmon to egg salad, the law of protein priority says that it is now salmon salad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom