What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (3 Viewers)

Honestly steak is a waste to grind. If you have scraps sure, but you can get as good or better results from much cheaper cuts. A mix of chuck, shortrib, and brisket is my favorite.

If you insist on grinding a steak I would say ribeye because it has a lot of fat which you want.

Would you say it would be better to throw some bacon fat in there over steak? Also, I'm using 5 pounds of beef and not even a third of a stick of chorizo to make over a dozen burgers.

Would you say it would be better to throw some bacon fat in there over steak? Also, I'm using 5 pounds of beef and not even a third of a stick of chorizo to make over a dozen burgers.

yeah just chop up some bacon and put it in there. Also good - hot and or Italian sausage.

Also, I meant actual bacon fat since I have tons of it and would like to use some of it.
Cook everything in bacon fat til you run out, it will make everything taste better (especially vegetables lol)

If you want to do something really cool order some tapioca maltodextrin from amazon and mix that and your bacon fat in a food processor til you get bacon powder. Sprinkle it on your popcorn. Profit.

Grind bacon for your burgers, it will be better than just throwing bacon fat in there

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
Cook everything in bacon fat til you run out, it will make everything taste better (especially vegetables lol)

If you want to do something really cool order some tapioca maltodextrin from amazon and mix that and your bacon fat in a food processor til you get bacon powder. Sprinkle it on your popcorn. Profit.

Grind bacon for your burgers, it will be better than just throwing bacon fat in there

I'm definitely going to look into that tapioca. Also, with the bacon fat I'm trying to avoid spending more money on something when I don't have to. I already have two full jars of bacon fat and just started a third. It would be easier and cheaper to add fat over buying a ribeye. I'm not opposed to doing something different but I am trying to balance what I want with what I can afford. If I decide to go with the fat, should I mix it in cold or liquify it and mix it in that way?

I'm definitely going to look into that tapioca. Also, with the bacon fat I'm trying to avoid spending more money on something when I don't have to. I already have two full jars of bacon fat and just started a third. It would be easier and cheaper to add fat over buying a ribeye. I'm not opposed to doing something different but I am trying to balance what I want with what I can afford. If I decide to go with the fat, should I mix it in cold or liquify it and mix it in that way?

cold

I would not add bacon fat to a burger at all. Its going to leak out and your burger is going to fall apart, your going to have a flair up if your doing it on the grill etc. Its just not something you should do. If you arent dead set on grilling the patties cook them in a pan with bacon fat. Youll get the same flavor as adding the fat with a much simpler and better technique.
Grinding bacon definitely works a lot better and its a lot cheaper to buy a pack of cheap bacon to grind than it is to buy a ribeye. I would DEFINITELY not buy a ribeye to grind if I was watching costs. It honestly will not taste any better than ground chuck.

One exception about grinding steaks is if you use dry aged steaks, but then you are talking about a ridiculous amount of money to grind for a burger. It would be ridiculous to do unless money is truly no object.

Minetta Tavern in NYC does a black label burger thats super famous. It's an interesting read if you are interested

Honestly steak is a waste to grind. If you have scraps sure, but you can get as good or better results from much cheaper cuts. A mix of chuck, shortrib, and brisket is my favorite.

If you insist on grinding a steak I would say ribeye because it has a lot of fat which you want.
burgers i like 80/20 or 85/15 angus chuck with salt and pepper. i melt so much bleu cheese, it is pointless for me use anything else.

actually, i like a smidge of burger with my bleu cheese.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom