What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (5 Viewers)

my mom, best roommate ever (i'm 42 and haven't lived with her since just before 17 birthday).

i told her i like beef jerky, no homo, and she wants to set up a dehydrator or whatever.

@buzd and the community, what's a good recommendation for making your own jerky?

my mom, best roommate ever (i'm 42 and haven't lived with her since just before 17 birthday).

i told her i like beef jerky, no homo, and she wants to set up a dehydrator or whatever.

@buzd and the community, what's a good recommendation for making your own jerky?

I use top round/London broil, marinate it overnight, and smoke it for about 30 min before putting it in the dehydrator.

I use top round/London broil, marinate it overnight, and smoke it for about 30 min before putting it in the dehydrator.
oh if i want one to be teriyaki, when would i add the sauce or should i marinade first?

also do you have a good recipe for spaghetti carbonara?

Ordered from a Vietnamese restaurant and got something I had never tried before. Don't remember the name of it, but it's got small strips of beef, cilantro, and shredded green papaya with some sort of dressing to drizzle on.

Holy crap it's good. Like crack

I had a credit with crowdcow.com and saw they were having a sale on A4 wagyu meat. I ordered a tritip roast and a couple coulotte steaks (top sirloin Brazilian cut)
So is this worth the hype? Any suggestions on preparing and cooking?

I had a credit with crowdcow.com and saw they were having a sale on A4 wagyu meat. I ordered a tritip roast and a couple coulotte steaks (top sirloin Brazilian cut)
So is this worth the hype? Any suggestions on preparing and cooking?

A5 is the super crazy wagyu, so A4 is better for regular cooking. I would let them dry on a rack in the fridge for at least 24 hours before cooking (up to 72 hours) and salt at least 4 hours before cooking. They will cook much faster than you think, and you probably want them a little more rare than you generally prefer. Use a therm to determine doneness. I would say pull at 130 for the trip tip and 128 for the culotte, depending on your cook temp.

A5 is the super crazy wagyu, so A4 is better for regular cooking. I would let them dry on a rack in the fridge for at least 24 hours before cooking (up to 72 hours) and salt at least 4 hours before cooking. They will cook much faster than you think, and you probably want them a little more rare than you generally prefer. Use a therm to determine doneness. I would say pull at 130 for the trip tip and 128 for the culotte, depending on your cook temp.

Sounds great. Usually I will salt and then leave the meat uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours

Also on a tritip I usually smoke it and then sear the outside. Will that work or is that a waste?
I don't want to waste this

Sounds great. Usually I will salt and then leave the meat uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours

Also on a tritip I usually smoke it and then sear the outside. Will that work or is that a waste?
I don't want to waste this

It will work but I don't think wagyu will take a lot of smoke well. If you are cooking over charcoal, that should be enough (IMO). Maybe a chunk of wood or two, max.

It will work but I don't think wagyu will take a lot of smoke well. If you are cooking over charcoal, that should be enough (IMO). Maybe a chunk of wood or two, max.

Appreciate that. So in your opinion is A4 wagyu worth the extra money?

Appreciate that. So in your opinion is A4 wagyu worth the extra money?

I guess that depends what you paid for it. It's a special treat but it's impractical on a regular basis.

I guess that depends what you paid for it. It's a special treat but it's impractical on a regular basis.

Guess I am trying to figure out what to expect in the difference in quality. Is it going to be like going from Clan McGregor scotch to Balvinnie Double Wood or is that too high of expectations

Guess I am trying to figure out what to expect in the difference in quality. Is it going to be like going from Clan McGregor scotch to Balvinnie Double Wood or is that too high of expectations

Too low, maybe. If it's truly A4, it will be a totally different product than what you are used to - even if you usually eat prime beef. I have a friend that scored an A5 brisket that turned out virtually inedible because basically the whole thing rendered to liquid when he tried to smoke it.

Plan on serving it in fairly small portions, because done properly, it's super rich. Also, this comes with the caveat that meat is usually graded on other cuts, so there can be a lot of variance on what you actually have (and graders have been known to take some license) but true A4 will cook and eat differently than anything you are used to.

Thanks. Will just hope and pray I don't fork it up lol

Thanks. Will just hope and pray I don't fork it up lol

My advice would be 1) keep it simple. The meat is so good, you shouldn't have to do much and 2) don't cook it too hot. A super hot sear is not your friend and isn't going to do you any favors - a sear creates a maillard reaction with the protein - here you are more worried about managing the fat. I would try to keep it to 450 degrees or so max.

IMO of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom