What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (9 Viewers)

I know it's been mentioned before, but Terrapin Farms makes so many good dips and condiments. God I want to try their Blueberry Pecan Jam...need to order it.

Right now I am having cheese with some of their Hot Pepper Bacon Jam. Heaven!

There is also a gourmet mustard company called Sutter Buttes. I have had two of theirs and they are fantastic. Their Jalapeno Whiskey Mustard is tremendous on sandwiches and I also have their Lemon Dill Mustard which I put on grilled salmon.

A couple of days ago I ate some tuna steaks for lunch. Put some Tony's on both sides and seared it for 2 minutes each side. So good. I'm gonna eat tuna steaks once a week from now on.

A couple of days ago I ate some tuna steaks for lunch. Put some Tony's on both sides and seared it for 2 minutes each side. So good. I'm gonna eat tuna steaks once a week from now on.

Sear them and then cube them and make tuna salad with that, instead of with canned tuna. Go light on the mayo and add a little wasabi and soy. You'll never go back.

Also, unless your tuna steaks were more than 2 inches thick, 2 minutes a side is too long.

Sear them and then cube them and make tuna salad with that, instead of with canned tuna. Go light on the mayo and add a little wasabi and soy. You'll never go back.
I hate wasabi but I did make a sandwich out of one of them using hamburger buns. I did put mayo on both sides but not a lot. It was great.

Also, unless your tuna steaks were more than 2 inches thick, 2 minutes a side is too long.
They were nice and pink in the middle. I was using medium heat.

By all means eat it the way you like it, but if you have good tuna, there's a lot to be said for it basically being raw in the middle.
I was aiming for that and I honestly think I overshot it a tad. I tried a small sliver raw and it was good but I prefer cooking it a smidge. That might be my lunch for tomorrow.

I had seen Alton Brown's video of cooking steaks directly over a charcoal chimney a long time, and decided it was time to try it out. Had a strip steak and a Denver cut (similar to chuck, which I marinated for fajitas). Got the chimney blazing in my fire pit and tried it out. I definitely put the ny strip on too early, but it was edible, and the fajita meat turned out great. Very happy overall, but due to the space, not a method for cooking for more than 2 people...
IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

I had seen Alton Brown's video of cooking steaks directly over a charcoal chimney a long time, and decided it was time to try it out. Had a strip steak and a Denver cut (similar to chuck, which I marinated for fajitas). Got the chimney blazing in my fire pit and tried it out. I definitely put the ny strip on too early, but it was edible, and the fajita meat turned out great. Very happy overall, but due to the space, not a method for cooking for more than 2 people...
IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5298.JPG

There is an equivalent method called caveman which involves throwing the steaks directly on the coals with no grid. I've tried it - it works, and surprisingly you don't get a bunch of ash on the steaks. But ultimately I don't like it. You have less control over your doneness and you get more black and blue (like in your picture) - great, if that's what you like, but I like a more even cook. Gimmick, IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom