What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (17 Viewers)

Just mixed up a batch of moonshine!

5# of sugar, some yeast and 104 degree water.

Now, we wait 5 days to distill it I guess.

What kind of yeast? That sounds terrible.

What kind of yeast? That sounds terrible.

some special fermeter's yeast. It was in a foil packet.

Do you have a better suggestion for making moonshine? Figured I'd start with moonshine and move up to bourbon. Already got my barrell coming, but I'm going to get a bigger still than the 2.5 gallon one she gave me last year.

That short rib looks fantastic
Thanks, it was fork tender. I followed the Gordon Ramsay recipe mostly, but i added a carrot and simmered on the stove instead of in the oven. I pushed the garlic and carrot from the stock through a sieve back into the broth, and reduced that by 50% for a sauce. Added a splash of sherry and a little thyme at the end, awesome sauce. Saved the extra sauce for scalloped potatoes today.

So, I got a little drunk last night. The little red-haired girl and her mom decided they were making macaroons which are an incredible pain in the arse to make it turns out. Anyway, they had made some sort of blackberry reduction to use as the filling. It looked pretty tasty so I assumed what was in the little pot was leftover and used it to mix in a sort of old-fashioned. It was good so I did it again. And, maybe again.

Turn out they hadn't used it. They were waiting for their little breads to cool or whatever and by the time they came for their goop I had slathered it on some bread and washed the pot. Of course, they pitched a fit so I made them another batch, but as you'll recall I'm not 3 beers, a couple glasses of wine and a number of old-fashioneds in. Being the creative guy that I am, it seemed natural to add just a tiny bit of Zattarain's crab boil seasoning to the jelly stuff.

I didn't tell them I did it and I promptly forgot until about an hour ago when I popped one in my mouth. It's actually good.

The girls have no idea.

20200418_172349.jpg20200418_174546.jpg20200419_230108.jpg

I decided to attempt baking bread from a Kenji recipe - this is his no knead variant. Turned out pretty good, better than I thought it would!

No special flour just regular all-purpose
Bread2.JPG

Bread3.JPG

That looks great. I made a scratch sour dough starter 2 weeks ago and tried a focaccia this weekend.
21DF709F-0F2D-4F93-A3FB-27C0ED751C67.jpeg
2CA3AB16-AF6B-4198-89CF-8E50F8C45BC1.jpeg

Lentils, rice, and carrots. This thread is making me hungry and my food isn't ready yet. That bread looks so good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom