What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (4 Viewers)

The kids wanted panda express last night, so we did Uber Eats.... I'm not sure how I feel about myself for letting thta happen..haha.

We had a university orientation week this week, and I was asked to do a cooking demo with some Cajun food. I'm always nervous doing this sort of thing and the recipe I normally use takes a while. And I had 90 minutes.

So I had to adapt it to make it a bit easier for beginners.

But up here most people think jambalaya is a pasta dish, so I felt compelled to right that wrong.

jambalaya meme.jpg

and it went really well - it wasn't just students cooking by themselves, but a lot of families cooking together. Which seemed appropriate.

We had about 50 diff logins in on the Zoom call, which I was pleased with - more than I was expecting. And I got a ton of after images, and they did a pretty good job. But the parents were really thankful to have time with their kids, doing something together.

And that's as much what Cajun cooking was about, growing up, as the food itself.

Not nearly as dark as I usually take it, but it's never not good. (And yes, for me, the more the green onions, the better)

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.16.55 AM.png

We had a university orientation week this week, and I was asked to do a cooking demo with some Cajun food. I'm always nervous doing this sort of thing and the recipe I normally use takes a while. And I had 90 minutes.

So I had to adapt it to make it a bit easier for beginners.

But up here most people think jambalaya is a pasta dish, so I felt compelled to right that wrong.

jambalaya meme.jpg

and it went really well - it wasn't just students cooking by themselves, but a lot of families cooking together. Which seemed appropriate.

We had about 50 diff logins in on the Zoom call, which I was pleased with - more than I was expecting. And I got a ton of after images, and they did a pretty good job. But the parents were really thankful to have time with their kids, doing something together.

And that's as much what Cajun cooking was about, growing up, as the food itself.

Not nearly as dark as I usually take it, but it's never not good. (And yes, for me, the more the green onions, the better)

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 10.16.55 AM.png

That's cool (and I also love green onions). There have been several programs here that have offered interactive cooking lessons via zoom for free or a small fee. I've been meaning to sign up for one.

Yesterday, I made homemade nacho cheese. Took some white wine and sodium citrate (an emulsifier) and melted cheddar cheese and a diced habenero from the garden. Came out really good. Recommended.

There have been several programs here that have offered interactive cooking lessons via zoom for free or a small fee.

I could've gotten PAID?!?!

Also, we signed up for hello fresh to keep from having to go out for groceries as often. But it's not cheap. And the recipes are okay - I usually have to change something up.

But it is good for my wife and oldest daughter because they are not strong cooks and these step by step recipes with the material all ready makes it a lot easier for them to learn.

I could've gotten PAID?!?!

Also, we signed up for hello fresh to keep from having to go out for groceries as often. But it's not cheap. And the recipes are okay - I usually have to change something up.

But it is good for my wife and oldest daughter because they are not strong cooks and these step by step recipes with the material all ready makes it a lot easier for them to learn.

Hello Fresh (and it's ilk, I think we did Blue Apron for a while) has a lot of good qualities - teaching cooking and minimal waste being two of them. I found after a while though, the flavor profiles all tended to be kind of similar and eventually got bored with it.

Hello Fresh (and it's ilk, I think we did Blue Apron for a while) has a lot of good qualities - teaching cooking and minimal waste being two of them. I found after a while though, the flavor profiles all tended to be kind of similar and eventually got bored with it.

I'm bored

it's been two weeks

Agreed. We tried several pre-prep services (Blue Apron, Hello Fresh and the Martha Stewart one) for 3 meals per week and eventually tired of it. A few of the recipes I kept, and figured out that I could make for less than they were charging. You also had to read through the recipes thoroughly, ahead of time, and figure out prep vs cooking order. Their instructions were usually very poorly spelled out. I consider myself a somewhat sophomoric cook, but their process order left a lot to be desired.

Had several issues with freshness of and/or missing ingredients. The best part of the services were all the reusable ice packs that came with the food kits. I still keep several in the freezer when I need to pack a cooler for an event.

Picked up a thick cut bone-in ribeye and decided to smoke it and then reverse sear in a skillet. Just salt and pepper for the seasoning. Pecan and mesquite for the chips. Pulled it at 120, and by then it had a nice smoke smell to it, pan seared it in a bit of bacon grease, then rested for at least 10min.

Smoke_ribeye.JPG

Money_shot.JPG

One of my favorites. Venison steak tips in mushroom brown gravy over egg noodles.

238932E6-F0C9-4BC2-9C68-99B5EE959FD7.jpeg
um, ok. i hate you. i had a mediocre chicken sandwich.

i've been craving that oyster spaghetti from wherever we went, uh, years ago now.

um, ok. i hate you. i had a mediocre chicken sandwich.

i've been craving that oyster spaghetti from wherever we went, uh, years ago now.

Im going to a new (to me) seafood market this weekend. It’s on the radar. If you are coming in town, I’ll make it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom