What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (11 Viewers)

I had it in my head that the shrimp and fish were in the same taco. Those look great - also a fan of beans (usually black, here) on tacos.

More info about the green sauce on the right, please.

If I had to guess I'm going with pesto aioli. I don't know how I came up with that but it's what popped into my head.

Okay, I'll break down the details:

• Fish (sacalait, perch and catfish) and shrimp (La) weren't 'today fresh', but were recently caught....
  • I also blackened some fresh, sliced button mushrooms... they were awesome as well. Maybe a few of them made it into the taco, but they work great as a side to nibble on...
  • K Paul's Seafood magic with a few added sprinkles of cayenne
  • Tortillas and guacamole are made fresh daily at HEB. Just before we're ready to eat, I'll throw the tortillas on the grill for a couple minutes to heat and 'toast' them a bit.
  • Homemade pico de gallo... made fresh... tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapenos and lime juice
  • Sierra (?) charro beans...from a can.... BUT, very good. They're now on the "never run out of" list along with Steen's, ketchup and beer. Sometimes we do black beans.
  • Asian salad (HEB product). A very nice crispy mix of rather finely cut cabbage, kale, celery, carrot and cilantro
  • Green sauce (yeah, that's the official name my kids gave it). Buzd nailed it.. jalapeno, ranch, cilantro, green salsa. There's no recipe, I just throw it all in the blender until it looks good. Also works great as a chip dip, stays good in the fridge for days.
  • And the Dixie was imported from La a couple of weeks ago... I REALLY like the 'new to me' Voodoo IPAs...

You can make tortijas (Ecudorean MIL's recipe), combine the mashed potatoes with goya (yellow) seasoning, spring onions and when you form the pancakes (they shoud be about 1 inch thick) put shredded mozarella cheese in the middle (similar to how you would put cheese in a burger). Just be sure to cover the cheese with the potato, then fry in a skillet with olive oil, take off the heat when golden brown on both sides....awesome with eggs, steak or anything really....hope this is helpful....
Those are called Llapingachos

My newest obsession is mashed potatoes. I have some leftover turkey gravy to go with my latest tater batch so I'm mixing them instead of using the recipe I got from @kewee as suggested by @buzd

Those are called Llapingachos

They are called many things with Llapingachos probably being the most widely used name....but the village where my wife's parents are from they call them tortijas (at least the spelling is what it sounds like)....

We went to a local meat market yesterday and picked up some French cut pork chops and prime ground beef.

Wife made teriyaki chops with sautéed bok choy and jasmine rice seasoned on the plate with a Japanese rice seasoning mix. It was outstanding!

Today is my turn to cook. I'm grilling my "famous" burgers, which is really just a twist on Bobby Flay's perfect burger. I just chop and mix some green onion in with my meat and season with a Weber mix rather than salt and pepper. I'll say the key is really, the less you handle the beef the better. Mix as lightly and gently as possible and form your patties to where they are almost falling apart. Don't worry, once they sear on the first side, they will be fine to turn.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom