What y’all eatin’ - Coronavirus edition (1 Viewer)

I like Brussells sprouts.

And lye isn't as terrible as it sounds. Lots of things are processed with alkalines, like bagels and pretzels.

Hated them growing up, always the mushy, sour, can version.

Was at my friend's brothers 50th party at his house and he made oven roasted brussels with a bit of bacon and spring onion with cajun spice, I couldn't believe how much I liked them. They in no way resembled or tasted like the crap in the can....

Half them, and cook them cut side down in an iron skillet with just a touch of oil, so that the cut side chars a little. Then throw them in the oven for 10 or 15 minutes with your seasoning of choice - I have an IPA (like the beer) seasoning that is really good on vegetables.

Yeah, similar here, using a regular skillet though. Wife hates using the cast iron because it's too heavy for her. Cast iron does cook better and more even heat, but it's not a huge difference.

Hated them growing up, always the mushy, sour, can version.

Was at my friend's brothers 50th party at his house and he made oven roasted brussels with a bit of bacon and spring onion with cajun spice, I couldn't believe how much I liked them. They in no way resembled or tasted like the crap in the can....

That story is the same for me with most vegetables. Brussels spouts, asparagus, beets, spinach - we had the nasty can versions of all of them. It wasn’t really until I was an adult that I realized how good fresh vegetables are.

Yeah, similar here, using a regular skillet though. Wife hates using the cast iron because it's too heavy for her. Cast iron does cook better and more even heat, but it's not a huge difference.

Nothing wrong with a skillet. Our cast iron just lives on the stove.

That story is the same for me with most vegetables. Brussels spouts, asparagus, beets, spinach - we had the nasty can versions of all of them. It wasn’t really until I was an adult that I realized how good fresh vegetables are.

With you on asparagus and spinach but will never like beets or broccoli....wish I did as both are good for you....

Nothing wrong with a skillet. Our cast iron just lives on the stove.

Yeah, we used to be like that, but with all of the moving around over the years, we just fell out of the habit. I might get back around to doing that again at some point.

With you on asparagus and spinach but will never like beets or broccoli....wish I did as both are good for you....

Notice I didn't mention broccoli. Gross.

Beets are great. Boil them for about 10 minutes so they are easy to peel, then cube them and put them in the oven in a foil pouch with butter and salt for 20-30 minutes. Delicious. Do it with some gold beets so you don't know they're beets.

Watching Tulane get smoked by UCF, so I needed something to make me laugh; something more than a 5 lb packet of Smash.

Really miss the Young Ones. Adrian Edmondson and (the late) Rik Mayall were quite accomplished performers. Not from the Young Ones, but...

rik mayall and ade edmondson break character

I had brown rice, lentils, and carrots for lunch.

1584572798022.png

Watching Tulane get smoked by UCF, so I needed something to make me laugh; something more than a 5 lb packet of Smash.

Really miss the Young Ones. Adrian Edmondson and (the late) Rik Mayall were quite accomplished performers. Not from the Young Ones, but...

rik mayall and ade edmondson break character

That's horrible, really sad to hear that Rik is gone.

If you like Adrian and Rik, you should check out their series together called, Bottom. It's good, but not as good as The Young Ones.

Rest In Peace Rik...

Notice I didn't mention broccoli. Gross.

Beets are great. Boil them for about 10 minutes so they are easy to peel, then cube them and put them in the oven in a foil pouch with butter and salt for 20-30 minutes. Delicious. Do it with some gold beets so you don't know they're beets.
broccoli is great drenched in cheese. you can't even taste it.. until you get through the cheese.

What's best for beef stew? Pot roast or something else?
I agree with buzd, chuck is the best bang for the buck, lots of fat, and turns into super tender deliciousness after slow cooking. Short ribs are SPECIAL, so awesome and a little better flavor than chuck, imo, but going to be more expensive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom