What you think about Derek Smith? (1 Viewer)

deltadawg

All-Pro
Reaction score
Any thoughts? Just released by San Fran.
Dont know much about him.....

4saintspirit

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He was a pretty decent linebacker -- and will not command a whole lot of bucks -- I personally would think we could get him cheaper then Thomas and he is probably a little better at this point in his career -- I believe he has only played for 9 seasons

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is kind of surprising. I know he is often injured but he was great before switching to the 3-4 alignement. I thought that there was a place for him to play next to Willis but I read rumours that the niners are going to pursue Briggs to take the position.

He is a very solid player, of course not as good as Thomas but a little bit younger, but with the same problem of injuries over the last seasons.

More options are opening at the MIKE position, and that is always good news.

waazup

Marques Colston's #1 Fan
Reaction score
I watch the my local 49ers on TV every Sunday, and I can tell you Derek Smith is not an upgrade over Simoneau, and definitely not Shanle. He is old and slow, basically an older version of Simoneau.

SinnerSaint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Smith reminds me a little in his style of play of Ronald McKinnon.....strong at the point of attack, but a liability in coverage.

With that said, I'd take him over Simoneau if we couldn't get ZT.

dbridge

There's levels to this
Reaction score
Not much of an upgrade over Simoneau. My bro is a big 9er fan and he always complains how slow and ineffective Smith is. Why waste money on a LB who is a Simoneau clone?

Conrad

Reaction score
He is on the downslide of his career and we should avoid him.

Iceblink

Reaction score
Smith is really, really not good. The Simoneau comparison is a good one.

MVCrook

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Being in 9er Country, I am not surprised in the least by his release. I really don't think he'd be an upgrade for the Saints.....kinda sad huh?

Great Dane

He who dares wins
Reaction score
Smith was pushed by a perennial pro bowler in Willis. He has played 11 years and has a lot of wear and tear. I'd prefer Zach Thomas, but thinks he will be a Pat. I doubt the Saints will look at Smith

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the Saints wanted him......

When Mike Nolan delivered the news to Derek Smith last week that the San Francisco 49ers were releasing him, the head coach asked Smith if there were anything he could do for him.

“Yeah,” Smith said. “You can call A.J. Smith and Norv Turner in San Diego, because that's where I want to play.”

Smith has had an offseason home in Olivenhain since 2004, and his son is in kindergarten at a private school on the coast. And like many veterans, after 11 years in the league and many millions earned, Smith is interested in playing for a team with a real chance to win a Super Bowl.

“It's too good to be true, if you ask me,” the 34-year-old linebacker said yesterday.
His agent spoke with the New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins, but San Diego was the leader all along. On Sunday, he agreed to terms on a two-year deal.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080226-9999-1s26chargers.html

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wow we really are desperate for a MLB. I like the fact that we are showing an interest in every player available at the position. Ultimately I think we'll have to trade for Vilma. There just isn't a lot of depth at MLB in free agency this year.

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wow we really are desperate for a MLB. I like the fact that we are showing an interest in every player available at the position. Ultimately I think we'll have to trade for Vilma. There just isn't a lot of depth at MLB in free agency this year.
Agreed....a Vilma trade is starting to look like a positive move to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom